Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFinally bought an E39 M5!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2013 at 22:16
I took a friend's 308 GTS for a spin a few years back and absolutely loved it - to have raced round the ring in a 458 must have been unbelievable!

I'll be honest, a 6 speed 540i is every car you'd ever need so if you can find a good one of those then go for it! I adored mine and still regret selling it and that was an E34 without all the fancy SatNav and curves that the E39 has.

The M5 has a new gear knob now to replace the slightly little worn original and it's made such a difference to the appearance and feel of the interior as it was the only thing that was looking tired. Interior pretty much looks brand new now :) I had a nice drive at the weekend - didn't really go anywhere in particular but managed to empty the tank. Then another half tank on Sunday! Literally cannot get enough of the car and I'm starting to get used to it now which means I am starting to drive it properly and enjoy it even more. I am so tempted to buy the Hayward and Scott exhaust as it really does sound outstanding but I am also set on keeping it in its factory condition and so am torn! Not the most tragic of dilemmas I have been in I will admit... Approve
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Land Rover 110 4.0 V8 - 1986
BMW E39 530d Manual SE - 2001
BMW E34 540i 6 Speed Manual - 1995
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 460 Si Turbo - 1995
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
Sponsored Links

big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2013 at 22:40
get the exhaust u will love it , wait till ya birthday tho then u will not feel guilty ,  will give u 10 to 15 more horses , but the sound , u will love ......   
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2013 at 20:23
found this almost an m5 ,,,,,,, what u think......  ebay Item number:

Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2013 at 18:25
I saw that a couple of days ago - I am impressed by the spec and I actually quite like the re-calibrated M5 dials. Those wheels aren't E39 M5 wheels and I reckon it would crash around on 19s but then with new shocks maybe it would be very nice to drive?

The BMW engines have softer valve seats (at least so I have read I haven't looked at them myself) and so would worry about the LPG. But then again I've seen several 740i models on LPG with over 200k miles so perhaps it's just a load of hype! I run the Rover V8 on LPG and love it as it's very tuneable; you can advance the timing so much and get very good performance out of it. It's also very smooth and noticeably cheaper to run with, even with today's prices so if it all works then that does make it very attractive so long as the valve seats haven't gone (maybe check for oil consumption?).

I like my cars standard usually but other than the blue lights, the grill, the mirrors and the wheels I think it looks ok! Worth a look - it will have been thrashed but then so has every M5 out there; if it has been looked after then it should be able to take the 'abuse' it was designed for.
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2013 at 19:00
Hi thanks for reply, not sure if i want to go and look at it or not ? what r u doing still looking at cars when u have ya dream car in the drive , ha ha , wouldn't it be great if 3 or for people got together and bought an m5 to split the cost, saying that ? my friend paid 69 k for a R8  2 years ago, now has it for sale at £ 58k but not a bite,,, they r on the net for 39k ,,, now that has got too hurt.....  so that makes a 2003 m5 cheap .......... have a good week end ..... 
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2013 at 21:29
Hi , found a 67,000 mile 2005 bm 535 d m sport fully loaded 45 m p g long trips, 30 ish round town , very up to date car. 10.900.00 love it ,, BUT my head says get it , but my heart says e39 m5, how does one decide ?  HELP , ha ha 
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2013 at 08:41
535d, only buy with proof that it has been looked after i.e. more than the manufacturers recommended oil changes.  You've got two turbos that need to have been fed clean cool oil to keep their bearings in good condition. 

But yes you do get great performance and a hint of better economy.  Search on youtube for the Top Gear review of the BMW 535d, I like the race bit at the end for an obvious reason!

If it were me as a Petrolhead I'd go for the E39 M5.

A V8 or a diesel, hmm let me think about that one, NOT!
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2013 at 19:48
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Search on youtube for the Top Gear review of the BMW 535d, I like the race bit at the end for an obvious reason!

Found it!
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2013 at 21:02
hi i have seen that clip b4 , but watched it again. thanks for sending it.  so the 535d is almost as fast as the v8 4.5 , but in the every day world roads we drive on u cant do that , so if i get an m5 and not a 535d the drive to say Devon would be £ 50.00 more ish in fuel, but £ 25.00 each way is worth that sound of the v8 ... saying that just found this 540i i will try to attach it , ha ha what am i like / 

Andy 
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2013 at 21:15
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C382432#
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2013 at 09:12
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/m5/bmw-m5-e39/1129495 does any one know if this would b a good buy . its not the face lift model , what engine upgrades did bmw do . didnt this model have some vanos / oil problems , thanks Andy   
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2013 at 09:44
Ah rubbish - my notifications haven't been coming through so I've been missing these posts!

The problem for me with the silver M5 on Pistonheads is that I don't like modified cars so I wouldn't want it; I bought the M5 for its subtle appearance and non-provoking looks and also its performance straight from factory. Having said that, logically speaking most people that spend money to modify their cars generally care about them and so it may be in pretty good nick so could be worth a look!

As for head vs. heart - that's not really an issue because if you want one then you shouldn't even hesitate and should already be saving up! I wish I had done this years ago as the moment I sat in it I knew it was for me. The main problem with the M5 is that once you have it you will not want to sell it. The idea for me was to buy one and run it for a year, get my enjoyment and prestige of saying I owned an E39 M5 and then sell it at the end of the year to buy a house. I now know that I won't be selling it so I have to find another way of topping up my deposit within a year!

As for diesel vs. V8 - well, that's more of an issue than I first thought as I must say I really miss the straight six growl and turbo whistle of the 530d. It really did sound good, probably helped by the fact that I chopped the back box off. I still maintain that for simply cruising around as an everyday car and doing long commutes everyday there is little that will beat the 530d (or I should think the 535d and new 540d) but there is no denying that when you can have usable power from 1000rpm right up to 7000rpm a diesel is just not going to interest you anymore. I am definitely a reborn petrol head :)

BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2013 at 09:49
Oh and in reply to your earlier post which I have also just seen - I am always looking at cars :)

And I am also too greedy to share it so I'll have to opt out of the group buy offer ;)
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2013 at 17:17
Ha Ha i fort you went for a long drive some where.  ? i wasn't hinting you should share your car, i know what u mean i would like to share mine, was just a thought ..... found another m5 a 2002 blue with silver / black  interior ,, when u got time have a look ,,, ebay item number  

Andy 
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2013 at 19:07
How funny - I was literally just coming on here to send you that link! I saw that one this afternoon and thought you'd appreciate a look!

If you can knock him down a bit on price for the brakes then I reckon if everything is genuine you could be on to a winner. It certainly looks very straight in the photos with no car park dings, but then photos never tell the true story!

Give the chap a ring to get a good feel for what he may have been like as an owner and then go and see it! History and condition is definitely one thing, but how it drives is just as important in my opinion and if you aren't 100% happy with it (which you will be if it's the right one) then walk away - simples!
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2013 at 13:01
Hi funny u was looking at the same car... i offered 5k but he wanted a bit more , its up for buy it now offered at 5,495.00 , i was a bit confused as to the year of make, its not a 2002 its a pre face lift 2000 car, altho the car has had most of the face lift stuff done and more, bmw also did some upgrading to the pisterns / rings , ? and vanos redesign , but its had some vanos work done any way. he lives about 260 miles from me, yours is a face lift isn't it ?  Andy  
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2013 at 13:21
That's a very good point - I hadn't even thought about that (I guess I would have been if I'd been buying!). Mine is a 2002 and the build date was late 2001 (November I think) so it seems odd that a 2002 registered one was built back in 2000; perhaps it was sat in a factory for ages before being brought over?? I see it's gone now though so someone must have made him the right offer.

Realistically, other than aesthetics I don't know how much it matters as there are very happy pre-facelift owners and their cars don't burn much oil. Mine is a facelift but I've just put in my 1L top up bottle and I've only done 2.5k miles. Admittedly I've been driving it like a baffoon but if you stick to sensible revs and don't spank it around absolutely everywhere then you may not notice a difference. They certainly produce the same amount of power and if the VANOS has been upgraded then you shouldn't have any worries there either.

That Oxford green one has been on for a bit now and I don't know why that hasn't sold - I think the colour combination is pretty nice! Having said that I wouldn't trade my one for anything, even if Imola red is meant to be the best colour ;)
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2013 at 13:13
Originally posted by Crispy-d Crispy-d wrote:

Well it's been quite a successful Easter Day so far - I have managed to rid the car of virtually all knocks, rattles and bangs and they all turned out to be down to the exhaust!

I just unbolted the exhaust, sat it on stands all the way along and rehung it - now it's perfect and much more pleasant to drive. It's quiet and smooth but with a hint of 400bhp, just the way I had hoped it would be :)

Happy Easter all,
Crispin

well you better read the small print of the car hire. If you take it anywhere near the ring or worse, crash it, they will sue your arse off.

A lot has changed at the Ring.

Car hire companies even had spotters at the gate recording number plates.
They are not stupip and after forking out a lot for totalled cars from the Ring you can't blame them.

If I ever go again, I will use rent-a-racecar or the like.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
big ted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2013 at 09:36
Thanks for all your replies ,, have a look at our lap in my friends 2 week old 200K 458 its a bit of a slow lap but he did get faster as the day went on ..  http://youtu.be/f2tMlY-gh8Y, its KJ racing by andrew waddington 

Edited by nero - 11-May-2013 at 11:32
Crispy-d View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2013 at 19:50
Big Ted, that looked great fun and I'm very jealous! Would love to go round there in a Ferrari - maybe one day!

UweM3 - you seem determined to put me off? I am not going to get sued as I would be hiring a car for the ring which is not only completely legal but is actually recommended by most if you read up on it; I did not mean I'd go to a bog standard rent-a-car for holiday airport runs and thrash that round because that would be stupid and surely no fun anyway as you'd be in a Polo. You can actually hire cars to race around their track and as I said in an earlier post the worst case scenario is you pay a small (or large, whichever way you look at it) deposit if you stack it, which I wouldn't. I am not an idiot and aside from having someone scratch my pride and joy in the car park I am not scared of the Nurburgring and I don't see why anyone would be if they go by the book - it's just a toll road and again like I said before I'm not going to race (I do that at Castle Combe when I need to get it out of my system) I would be going for a drive round a famous road as hundreds of thousands of other motorists do just for the enjoyment of it!
BMW E39 M5 - 2002
Volvo S90 3.0 CD - 1997
Volvo 340 GL - 1989
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic