Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedflat spot and diagnostic issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flat spot and diagnostic issues
    Posted: 28-March-2013 at 15:23
hello, I am new to BMW, I bought a 1992 318IS E36 140 BHP a couple of months ago, the previous owner was fed up; He had being getting it done by a BMW Main Service shop, after spending a lot of money on sensors and other Items which they said was wrong TOO CORRECT A FLAT SPOT IN ACCELARATION, around 3000rpm, it was still not cured.
The car itself is orginal and NEVER BEEN IN A CRASH OF ANY SORT.
I got it for scrap Price; I drove 170 miles home without too much difficulty, knowing that the previous owner had been told THAT THE BMW GARAGE, SAID THAT IT REQUIRED A NEW TIMING CHAIN AND TENSIONERS, the car was never difficult to start, it did not misfire at any stage or in any gear, This was not Timing, this was fuel related,
the first thing I noticed was the top end was very hot, I intended removing the thermostat, but it had been replaced by the BMW GARAGE, I took it out anyway, the opening range was far to high, even when I questioned BMW in Germany they refused and still to refuse to answer.
I installed a 10c degree lower opening thermostat, now the whole engine cools even on short trips. I have restored and played with cars for 40 plus years, I normally only do classic cars and motorcycles, This was my first Modern Classic, what I am almost certain was happening, as the Rubber Injection and Vacuum Lines were all very soft, the Fuel Pump was working overtime as most of the fuel was vaporising in the lines because heat from the top end.
as well as replacing the Thermostat, being retire and not having a lot of money, I used my Jeep straight 6 4litre fuel pump and with some minor mods, installed it. Guess what, not only was the flat spot gone and the engine was cooling properly, the car goes extremely quickly,
I have rally car, a 2 litre Kit car that weighs in at less than 1000kg, and motorcycles, I have had fast cars in the past, for a 4 cylinder 1800 cc this car is quick, no it has never been re-chipped,
two things I question BMW Diagnostic, unless somebody out there has Diagnostic Disc, that covers my vehicle, for fault finding and restting, I can still do it the old fashioned way, and be aware that these Diagnostics that they are using don't seem to do it.

If anyone has a computer disc that can operate with windows let me know, but watch out for heat problems that will not show up on your Temp Gauge, the computer controls that until it is too late, blowing hoses ect, and water pumps going gaskets going, and worse

this is only my opinion, but BMW in Germany who I gave all the details too, still refuse to answer. I have spoken with some other owners and they have had HEATING ISSUES THAT DON'T SHOW, BUT CAUSE MAJOR ISSUES WITH OTHER PARTS OF THE ENGINE.

I am still unsure wether I will keep the car, but as I have now got it running well, it is gradually growing on me, I am a very capable engineer, I am capable of calculating Toe in and Out Alingment plus other things for Custom Cars and Kit Cars, I also worked in both Nuclear and deep sea engineering issues.
 My hobby is restoring classic cars and motorcycles, for which I have 4 at present and now with a 5th but a Modern Classic in my 1992 BMW 318IS PETROL.
anyone help me with a Diagnsotic Program let me know.

any advice I can give, I am more than happy to do so.

Jimmy

jimmy
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic