Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTyre Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tyre Problem
    Posted: 17-April-2013 at 13:56
Hey folks. Looking for a wee bit of advice here. My m3 failed its mot yest wi a rear tyre being below depth. On looking for a new tyre vredistein ultrac sessanta 265 30 r19 93y rear, called a tyre depot down south they would not sell me one as it's not a conti 255/35 19 which should be on it. Also was wrong sizes too and will invalidate my insurance if in accident. Strongly said to get it sorted urgently as all 4 tyres are wrong sizes and not correct make.                                                                                                                                      I got my m3 from eastern bmw auc 2 yrs ago and they sold me the car on these tyres. They are currently looking back there archive to look at history of car. They have said they had sold me car with those tyres and are currently looking at legal side to make sure for my and their piece of mind that I am driving legally. I have a great relation with them too. I find it all a bit bizarre. Should I push to get all 4 tyres replaced by bmw to proper size and spec. Any one had assimilar experience. Any help would be grand. Jim.
Sponsored Links

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2013 at 15:29
Tricky one Jim, I think I'd want to speak with the salesman who sold the car to me and also the technician who passed it fit for sale.

In the Interim, have a look at Camskill, thats where I got the Pilot Sport 2's for my car and the price was pretty great.

Good luck in getting your problem sorted mate.
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2013 at 18:39
Jim they should be 225/40r19 on the front and 255/35r19 on the rear. What sizes do have fitted?? if its 235 up front and 265 on the rear dont worry about it someone has put the CSL sizes on, they fit no problem, its a common change. 265 tyre at Camskill?

Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2013 at 18:51
You want decent tyres on someting with an M badge.  My E39 was fitted with a Verdistien when I bought it and wasn't impressed.  Garage conned me and fitted it when they had to MOT for the sale, the other three tyres were Contis.

You have a decent motor that warrants decent tyres fitted to it, just remember it's them black circles that keep you between the hedges.LOL

BMW may try and wriggle out if no one can't prove what tyres were on it when you bought it, its your word against theirs.  Not saying you have swaped them but they might imply that you have.....

Edited by Andrew Rolland - 17-April-2013 at 18:53
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
BillyP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2013 at 20:27
If your on the hunt for vreds then prestige tyres in rutherglen glasgow have the franchise for scotland, price wise they were cheaper than camskill when i looked, on my previous car i changed 4 pilots for vreds and was very impresssed with grip and no tramlining with these, I have p zero's just now but would not be adverse to going back to vreds
jimbo34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2013 at 20:34
Thanx for the replies. Got more of an update on this. Bmw got back to me and said that it was ok to fit these tyres to this car to sell as an AUC as long as it was the same make and size across each axle. They agree that they were the wrong sizes but they matched as mentioned. It was the guy at camskill that advised me to start with about the make and sizes.                                                                  Anyway gonna get back on the blower tomorrow and order 2 rears from camskill. Will stick on conti or Mich 255s. Then the fronts can get looked at later on in the year. It deserves a good bit of rubber.      
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2013 at 21:03
Ha ha, when I see you, I'll tell you the story about ordering tyres that are not OEM via Camskill. Sounds like you spoke to the same guy as me ! lol
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2013 at 08:21
Sounds like the guy at Camskill is a great believer in putting decent tyres on decent cars.....and I have to say I agree with him.

If you've got over 150 bhp going thru each tyre you do indeed want something that will handle that power and torque.  They are expensive but it's your safety (and other road users too) is top priority. 

Rule #1, don't skimp on tyres.

I've kept putting the same OEM tyres on my car until reading Cambells posts and I'm probably better putting Contis on my car instead of the Dunlops that were fitted when it rolled of the production line.  The Contis have better wet grip than my Dunlops.

www.mytyres.co.uk is a good tyre comparison website.  I use my local garage for tyres, he will be and has been cheaper than anyone else.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2013 at 13:16
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Sounds like the guy at Camskill is a great believer in putting decent tyres on decent cars.....and I have to say I agree with him.

Personally, I think there is a cross reference sheet above the phone at Camskill which shows BMW M? = Whatever it says.

I had a long email exchange with the guy as I wanted the Pilot Sports in place of the runflats that their sheet says.

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

I've kept putting the same OEM tyres on my car until reading Cambells posts and I'm probably better putting Contis on my car instead of the Dunlops 
I've had a bit of a rollercoaster with these Michelin Pilot Sport 2's, I actually thought they weren't as grippy as the Continental Sport II's I had replaced. It turned out to be either the cold conditions or the possibility that I hadn't worn the shine off them yet.

On the last monthly meet, my opinion completely changed, lets just say that the drive was "spirited" to say the least and the Pilot Sport 2's kept all 1800KGs on the road through very changeable road conditions. (new tyre shine, deffinately gone !Wink) The big car didn't lose traction or grip at any time. The weather was dry and ideal for driving, we clearly wouldn't wouldn't have been pressing on so much in the wet.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2013 at 16:21
Ahhh, you've ditched the RFTs also then Cambell?

I'm still on the Run flats.  Quite happy with the ride on my chariot.  The ride on my first E60 was worse which had 17" rims which ran at 41 psi at the back.  Current E60 has 18" rims running at 36 psi and the ride is softer, even with sports settings suspension and lower profile tyres.

Hmm wait a minute, first E60 had Bridgestone RFTs, mibbie that's all it was as I've got Dunlops on this one.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2013 at 17:16
Yeh Camskill AKA "I cant sell you these tyres as your car is fitted with runflats"

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
MAK View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2013 at 23:39
A lot of owners (including ourselves) have ditched the runflats in favour of better ride quality and less risk of cracked rims,one tyre fitter we know described the RFL sidewalls as being hard as bricks and transferring more impact to the rims. The other is cost. We now, (as many other cars have ) just carry a can of foam "stuff", a battery tyre compressor and an AA card!!
Bye the way, I thought that runflats were standard issue on later BMW's except M series.
Also Vredestein seem to get a favourable review in most tyre tests and seem to be trying to classify themselves as a "premium" tyre manufacturer these days. Their winter tyres aint half bad.
My Other Car is a SKODA.. really !
jimbo34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2013 at 11:46
Ordered two rear conti tyres from camskill. Should be on for next week and mot happy for another year. 360 quid inc p&p which I thought was pretty decent. The guy was a happy chappy too as they are the original m3 tyres.lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic