Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew member requiring some help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member requiring some help
    Posted: 19-April-2013 at 01:16
Alright chaps,

Was recommended this sight by gary from on here.

I've become the proud owner of a 95 m3 needing some TLC.
Got her on the road but still got a few issues to resolve.

When I picked the car up the steering was awful. It had tonnes of play in the centre position. Where I'm at now is I've replaced the rack with a dingbro recon job so is now nice and tight. Changed the power steering pump for a known working one ( old one was noisy) and completely flushed the system and cleaned the filter in the reservoir.

Problem I now have is the steering is as light as a feather. Even at speed its ridiculously light. Absolutely no feedback what so ever from the wheel. The tracking has been done and most of the front end bushes are in sound condition. Does this sound like the fault may lie with the rack its self?

Any help greatly appreciated 
Cheers
Mikey

Sponsored Links

garrybhoy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garrybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2013 at 03:13
Could it be the old rack was servotronic, as in speed sensitive and the new one isnt?
2012 F10 M5
2009 E60 550i A M Sport(Sold)
2012 F30 320i A M Sport XDrive
2003 BMW R1150 Rockster(Sold)
2008 SLK350 Edition 10(Sold)
1990 Astra GTE 16V Resto Project
2003 Berlingo Van
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2013 at 06:17
Originally posted by garrybhoy garrybhoy wrote:

Could it be the old rack was servotronic, as in speed sensitive and the new one isnt?
Sounds like a likely cause.

Welcome BTW
m3mikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2013 at 12:55
Cheers guys! 

I had thought it might be something along those lines.

Would there be any way to check this at all? I take it the rack must have some sort of internal valve?
Also read about a restrictor in the return hose. Mines doesnt seem to have this.

Thanks again
m3mikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2013 at 13:12
After reading up I dont think the car does have servotronic, as from what I understand it would have some electrical input etc. Mine is just the simple zf pump, couple of hoses and rack. Does anyone know if the rack has some sort of internal valve that could be sticking open and causing the issue?

Cheers again
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2013 at 18:56
I would imagine that if your original rack was a servotronic job, you would have had to 'unplug' some form of electrical connector from it which on installing the Dingbro part, there wouldn't have been a receptical to plug a connector into and as a result your dash would be lit up like a Christmas tree indicating a fault somewhere.

Punch your chassis number into this website to check the part numbers.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do  Enter in box next to Serial number.

The lightness you feel could just be the fact that the system is in effect brand new and will feel very light as it is working very efficiently.

Have you checked your tyre pressures and sizes?  These sorts of chassis are very sensitive to the wrong tyre sizes and wrong tyre pressures.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
m3mikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2013 at 03:55
Thanks andrew!

As you were saying, nothing needed to be unplugged it was just a simple swap over job. the dingbro rack looked exactly the same as the rack I removed. I will check my chassis tomorrow to see (thanks for the link). 

Tyre pressures were all at 36psi which I thought was a tad on the high side... but I'm positive the problem is down to something with the power steering and nothing related to suspension or tyres.

searched all over the net and have yet to come up with anything conclusive. 

Wouldnt mind bringing it to a meet or the like to give another m3 owner a shot to see if its just me but it defo feels far far too light even at idle! The last bmw I owned before this was an e30 325i sport which i felt the steerig feedback to be excellent. 

This problem is completely ruining the car for me! If there is anyone local to wishaw or near by that would have a feel at it and tell me I'm not or indeed crazy I would be most appreciated.

Cheers again
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2013 at 15:42
Try over on e36coupe.com

And welcome mate.
m3mikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2013 at 22:37
Cheers gary,

I shall see if anyone there can shed any light on it.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2013 at 08:25
36 psi sounds very high for front tyre pressures for normal driving conditions.  I'll bet my next cup of tea that they will be the source of lightness and lack of feel from the front end.  Front tyres are generally low 30 something psi.

Double check what your front tyre pressures should be.  If you have the car loaded up and or are towing a large something then the tyre pressures may be around 36 psi.  The tyre pressure charts on the inside of the door pillars will give two sets of pressures, one for normal loads and one for when you are carrying higher loads.

Under normal loading conditions, if the tyre is pumped up too high then less of the tyres surface will be in contact with the ground, thus making it easier to turn the wheels, giving you less feel as there is less area scrubbing over each other.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic