Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI have the worst luck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have the worst luck
    Posted: 07-November-2013 at 12:26
Only three weeks ago did i get my beloved car back from Owen Ferry, forked out the bill and took her away to get the wheels aligned. 3 weeks of smooth sailing then..... BANG!! i've hit a pothole in the dead of night.

I took the car to Owen Ferry this morning and just got off the phone to hear:
Drivers front shock is burst 
The spring is weak
The ball joint has had it
Lower arm is broken AND unmatched to the passenger side (the passenger is non m-tech)
Drivers Rear Trailing arm is loose and potentially bent. The bush which held it in place (looked new and is now broken) has potentially been ill fitted by a prior mechanic.

Best part is the estimate to make everything back to mtech and working order is already over £1000OuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuch

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2013 at 15:59
Get swiftly on to the relevant Local Authority and inform them of the damage and state that you will be claiming them for the costs.  Get pictures of the pothole too!  But do not put yourself at risk from traffic.

This is a post on how I managed to get over 90% of my costs back from a local authority after I turned an alloy rim into a square.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2013 at 16:10
Jeez, man, you must've blootered it !
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2013 at 16:53
Andrew how long did it take to get settled mate
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2013 at 08:20
I hit the pothole 16th December I think it and it took till the following May till they payed up but I took time to respond partially becasue I was working out what to say so it may well have gone quicker if I had responded quicker.  I think I kept the thread up to date so if you look at the post dates that will give you an idea of the time frame.

You will need photographic proof of the hole you hit and the damage it caused.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2013 at 08:25
Meant to add

Where abouts is the pothole you hit? So I know to avoid it!

Keep us posted on how you get on.

If you want any help let me know, my arguments of not getting the rim fixed but replaced worked. 

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2013 at 09:55
Sorry for you Garry the same happened to me many years ago in my old Cavalier and back then the car was only 2 years old, anyway my wheel was all bent that bad you seen it but i never had all the damage you have, i did get a new wheel so do what Andrew telling you to do and i wish you the best to get this fixed...

M3 Evo 4 door
e36garry View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2013 at 12:10
Its on the A73 toward glenmavis just after you come off the M80, i will have a receipt of the work done and i have the photographic proof of the hole.

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2013 at 13:11
Originally posted by e36garry e36garry wrote:

i will have a receipt of the work done and i have the photographic proof of the hole.

Good but make sure you report it to the Local Authority now, that will probably be North Lanarkshire.  Without them knowing that you have hit a pothole and suffered finaicial loss you will be onto plumbs.  Their website will probably give you a link to a claim form or give you a number to call.

But you need to do it sooner than later.

Also the local garage that fixed my E60 in my aftermath recommended telling the police of the details.  Not sure what your old boy would say to that though.......

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2013 at 13:14
Oh aye and get pictures of the damage to the car.....you'll need that other than just a receipt.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Honeyman328 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeyman328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2013 at 18:01
According to glasgow city council they need to know about the pothole and have 7 working days to fix it. This can be a poor tempararly fixed hole.
I had to threaten court action to get my money for damage caused. I had two claims, February 2011 and jan 2012. Took them till June 2013 to pay me and it didn't cover the full damage

Oh if they only used the money raised from motorists to fix the roads we use. I know, I am a dreamer :)
Now - e36 328 touring, e34 520 saloon
Previous - e36 328 sport
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2013 at 09:44
Well the pothole that I hit was repaired within 2 days of me hitting and reporting it.  So I pointed this out to them in one of my letters. 

"When I have reported potholes to you before it has taken much longer than two days to fix them.  Did you fix this one within such a short space of time because a) you already knew about it, b) because I wish to make a claim you sent an inspector out and they deemed it to be a significant safety risk and had it filled in within a certain short time limit?"

In other words they knew they were liable........and hence why I got over 90% of my costs back relatively quickly.

Don't do nothing on this one.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
e36garry View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2013 at 21:38
The form will be sent within the next two days but i wasnt able to get pictures of the car given i didn't have the necessary tools.. ramps jacks etc.
nor had i anyway of getting to the car for the photos (dont want to step on owen's toes)
The car is now fixed and i can now make a monetary claim since i now know the cost.

Fingers crossed now guys

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2013 at 11:32
good luck wie your claim mate and I hope yer luck wie the car turns for the better now
///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
e36garry View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e36garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2013 at 23:08
We shall see stevie, things in 3's and all that.

I won't hold my breath for this claim but it would be a nice surprise later next year.

might have a new job on the cards too (anything to help pay for this mess)

Remember BHP sells cars
Torque wins races!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic