Forum Lockedtemperature gauge fluxtuation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: temperature gauge fluxtuation
    Posted: 08-November-2013 at 08:17
Yeah it will be so much easier if you  buy the tool that holds the water pump pulley bolts so that you can undo the thermo viscous fan with a LEFT hand thread.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

bookerfatz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2013 at 22:00
Me thinks your right with your analysis. And thanks for that thread links. Made me gulp when while reading it BTW. Probably worth this investment: <http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-GM-Water-Pump-Hub-Fan-Clutch-Nut-Wrench-Holder-Tool-/181252218279?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2a33795da7&vxp=mtr>. should be able to find it over here though. Maybe this will all look better in the morning. Thanks for your time!

Edited by bookerfatz - 07-November-2013 at 22:00
Booker

2002 E39 5 series Touring

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2013 at 15:56
Classic symptoms of a failed (or in the process of failing) thermostat.

My E39 did just as you describe, new thermostat from Euro Car parts cured that fault. About £10 way back in 2005 for a new 'stat.

You might need to replace the thermostat housing as when you take it off the old gasket may not re-seal properly.

Have a read of this thread on how I did my 'stat replacement along with the water pump replacement.

What engine is in your E39?
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
bookerfatz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2013 at 14:55
I recently noticed that when engine is at normal operation temp that when I turned up cabin heat the temp. needle immediately dropped for a few seconds then returned to top dead center where it normally holds steady. It also seems like it's taking longer for the engine to assume top dead center reading. I haven't noticed that I'm loosing any coolant. I've only owned the car about 7 months but it's been running great since I bought it. I was told that I should perhaps bleed the cooling system. This problem ring a bell for anyone?

2002 E39 Touring 165K
Booker

2002 E39 5 series Touring

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic