Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE60 Control Arm failed!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E60 Control Arm failed!
    Posted: 12-January-2014 at 15:43
Driving home from work on Friday night and thought I heard a clonk from the front offside wheel. Oh bother or other words to similar effect. Back out in the car later on Friday and the clonk was worse. More oh bother type words.

Didn't get a chance to look at till this afternoon, due to other stuff on and a major hangover .

After hammering off the alloy sure enough play in the offside hub. The control arm balljoint at the hub has a bit of play in it.

Part #16 required!

Hopefully I don't need to do as much as I had to do to replace the nearside control arm and wheel bearing. Assuming that the nylocs on the balljoint give me grief again, I think I can get in hacksaw if required without having to pull the whole lot off the car.

Local Euro Car parts have one, but I'll need some nuts and bolts from BMW. BMW have replaced the nylocs with a different type of locking nut which makes future removal easier.

Mileage is a smudge over 82,000, so only about 8,000 more miles than the nearside managed from the same part.

Needs doing straight away and before the MOT due at the end of Feb.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2014 at 19:17
New control arm and tension arm fitted yesterday. Decided to replace both arms. Also dropped the strut and hub carrier as a whole assembly out the car rather than trying to split it on the car.

Big difference to car.

Write up to follow.

This write up includes how to remove the front strut with the suspension arms still attached.

Edited by Andrew Rolland - 05-February-2014 at 18:54
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic