Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDiesels with DPF's. NO THANKS!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesels with DPF's. NO THANKS!
    Posted: 03-April-2014 at 09:39
Just been reading this months Straight Six magazine and especially the article regarding the dreaded DPF filter in the exhaust system that the eu has forced the car makers into fitting these days, what a farce!.
How can any manufacturer (especially the likes of BMW) produce cars for all round daily use that have such a fatal flaw? ,
I have a DPF fitted to my Superb and apart from a few times I have returned home with all the fans going and a burning smell in the 2 years since new and only 14000 miles I have had no issues but  I am hell bent on punting the car before it gives me problems. I have looked at the stock of nearly new 3 series BMWs in dealers around me and get a shiver up my spine to see a mountain of 320d cars and only a few 320i and only one 328i.
I read somewhere that insurers will withdraw cover from any car that has been de-DPF'd and they will become wise to the ploy that they will not see it has been removed, they will soon learn to look!
Rant over, I am away to take my diesel car the usual 2 miles to work.
George.
My Other Car is a SKODA.. really !
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2014 at 12:32
Diesels + short distances = ££££££

The DPF doesn't get hot and will cost you plenty when it fails it emmisions test come MOT time.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2014 at 13:35
Meant to add....

This will probably only be a problem on older cars and cars that have been only subjected to being driven short distances.  My dads F10 3.0 wheezily DIEsel, I drove it for approx. 10 miles in all types of traffic and the temperature gauge never got to the normal position, it was still cold.  Granted I wasn't driving it hard at all but even still the needle didn't approach the vertical normal position on the temp gauge.

Searching for petrol 5 Series on the BMW used pages is always interesting.  Enter your postcode, budget and model type and you will have 200+ cars to choose from.  UNTICK the DIEsel box and that can whittle itself down to 12 cars NATIONALY!  Yip that's right there are hee haw petrol 5 Series out there in the BMW used system.  They are all DIEsels.  All with DPFs waiting to go boom in a few years time.

Ford have got it right (to an extent), they are supplying cars with a range of PETROL engines.  These are however only 3 cylinder engines or 1.0 displacement albiet with a turbo.  They sound a little throaty on idle but driving they are fine.  Wife has a 2007 1.8i Focus, goes well enough, but you can now get a 1.0i with 125bhp and it will be a perfomance match for the wifes 1800.  These are called Ecoboost engines and have a great fuel economy, real world wife gets low 30s out of her town drive but equivalent 125bhp ecosnotboost engine will return over 40. 

Why are Ford doing this? 

Because Ford have realised the DPF problem will cripple used Fords in a few years to come.  Vauxhall and Pugeots are getting a pummeling for DPF failures at the moment.  £700 for a new one come MOT time, car isn't worth that much and its turned into baked bean cans.

A busy little 1.0, 3 pot engine will get hot enough on short journeys and still give decent enough real world mpg.  Who needs a DIEsel?  Not me that's for sure!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
MAK View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2014 at 14:40
A real shame because the performance figures for the likes of a 330d are fantastic with great economy. Pity these clever Germans could not produce a replaceable element that could be removed as easily as an air or Pollen filter and the contaminated one sent back for recycling.

Edited by MAK - 03-April-2014 at 14:47
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2014 at 15:06
Agree, performance and economy is attractive BUT only if you are doing high miles on a motorway when the engine gets hot enough for the DPF to work and clean itself out.

We are looking for a new car for the wife.  She doesn't do many miles to her work and then she needs a car to do short journeys when at work.  A DIEsel would clog up and not get hot.  A small petrol engine is what is needed.  A salesman said that she would need to drive it on the motorway for 20-30 mins a week to avoid damaging the DPF.  Don't want to have to do that just to save a DPF. Solution is not to buy a DIEsel.  Not to mention that DIEsels produce carcinogenic fumes.

Me I drive 6 miles to a station in the morning then drive 6 miles home at night.  My car gets hot enough in that journey a diesel wouldn't.  I'm sticking with the V8 for the moment, atleast I get performance from it, economy, well, less so!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Bob P View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2014 at 17:29
I have an 05 plate E61 530D. DPF blocked last year. Read up about it and found firms offering cleaning service for them so researched possibility of doing it ourselves. Thanks to Cambell and Paul we did it last year and it is still ok, touch wood. Early models pre 2007 have it fitted in the middle of the car and it only reaches working temp on a long run. Later ones have it fitted immediately after the turbo and it heats up very quickly and is stated as being " maintenance free " whereas mine is supposed to be changed at 120,000 miles. Biggest problem for blocking DPF is faulty thermostats causing engine to run cooler.
E61 530D MSport Carbon Black
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2014 at 18:34
So if it needs replacing at 120,000 miles, lets say at 10k a year that's when the car is 12 years old. Cost of a new DPF is four figures, a 12 year 5 series with that mileage will not be worth repairing. Sad.

My dads F10 has its DPF under the turbo, but I'm not convinced that a 258bhp 3.0d will get very hot unless you drive it like you stole it or do a minimum of 15 miles. After 10 miles it wasn't hot.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
MAK View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2014 at 19:05
You are indeed very lucky to have these lads around to assist you and you know if Cambell and Paul did the job it will be spot on.
On reading the article they refer to the DPF close to the turbo. If the DPF lasted for 120k miles then it would be someone else's problem and not mine!
Sadly as the miles clock up they say that due to deteriorating injector and glowplug performance the filter will choke up faster.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2014 at 19:27
Its easy, 8 bolts, 5 litres of white spirit, a jet wash and a few cups of tea and hey presto, it spews out loads of pink pellets and its cleared. 
MAK View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2014 at 20:31
Originally posted by Cambell Cambell wrote:

Its easy, 8 bolts, 5 litres of white spirit, a jet wash and a few cups of tea and hey presto, it spews out loads of pink pellets and its cleared. 

Brilliant!
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2014 at 23:16
Originally posted by Bob P Bob P wrote:

Thanks to Cambell and Paul .

"cough" I helped too Smile
E46 318Ci M Sport 2001 Light Gelb
E39 530I Champagne I Individual Edition 2002
Bob P View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 06:45
Sorry Robin, you made the tea and did your best to wind me up! Early mistakes have given the DPF and diesels in general a bad name. My old Volvo did not have one but had a sensor in the exhaust which detected soot and put it into limp home mode if you gave it some welly which for me was fairly often.
Bob P View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 06:47

The bolts needed heat and eventually an angle grinder though.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 07:25

The bolts needed heat and eventually an angle grinder though.
Mere technicalities Wink
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 07:38

Sorry Robin, you made the tea and did your best to wind me up!.

Did a bit more than that. Gave you my nuts and bolts remember to put it back.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 07:41
Ewww Bob P is running about with Robins nuts on his car !!
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 07:47
Don't really want to bore you but the taxi trade has fallen victim to the dreaded DPF. The latest vehicle has a DPF fitted and is causing nightmares to the drivers as most of their cabs they are running not worth a sook. What's the use of putting a DPF on a vehicle that's doing at max 30mph around town. It will soon clog up.

Bob P View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 07:56

Ewww Bob P is running about with Robins nuts on his car !!
They will get pretty hot on the DPF ooooyaa!!
Bob P View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 08:01
Originally posted by Robin814 Robin814 wrote:

Don't really want to bore you but the taxi trade has fallen victim to the dreaded DPF. The latest vehicle has a DPF fitted and is causing nightmares to the drivers as most of their cabs they are running not worth a sook. What's the use of putting a DPF on a vehicle that's doing at max 30mph around town. It will soon clog up.

Most diesels run clean enough not to need a DPF. They recon that most will pass an MOT emission test without a DPF. EU mucking things up again !!!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 08:34
Originally posted by Robin814 Robin814 wrote:

Exactly why for town driving you need a small modern PETROL engine.

Its causing us a real problem at the moment, the wife wants a new car and mibbies a 4x4 but you won't get a 4x4 in anything other than DIEsel and for her short mile trips.  You can get an Ecosnotboost 1.6 petrol Kuga but it would need to be bought new (the only way to get one) and you would need to have a screw loose to buy a new Ford for that money when you could have something from Germany for that money sitting on your driveway.

Cambell

Any pics of cleaning out the DPF using a power washer then?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic