Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE60 front bumper removal - Faulty PDC sensor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E60 front bumper removal - Faulty PDC sensor
    Posted: 16-April-2014 at 08:41
Hi folks

I'm having problems finding pics showing how to remove the front bumper on my 2009 M sport E60 to replace a dodgy PDC sensor. I'm getting the error message in the display, and I've checked them all to ensure they're clicking with the ignition on......only the front corner offside one is silent, so that must be the faulty one  Cry

Does anyone have an "idiots guide" showing clear info what to do, and the easiest way to get into it ?

Also.......does anyone in the Lanarkshire area- Motherwell / Hamilton etc, have a Pela ( or similar ) oil extractor, who would be able to help me suck a little bit of oil out the sump as i'm also getting the oil level too high reading on the display & dipstick . Had a full oil change about 7,000 miles ago, but due to losing my job a couple months ago I've been doing a lot of local driving, so the DPF hasn't had a chance to fully regen, so oil level is rising. I dont really want to do another full oil change so soon after the last one, so this would really help in the meantime.

Hope you guys can help with any of the above issues.

Thanks   
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2014 at 12:25
You are correct on how to identify the faulty parking sensor.

Sorry, no idea how to take a front bumper off though.  Can you get up to it by removing the front underbelly?  I can't remember when I had my belly pan off.  A Haynes book of parodies will give you a starter for 10 on how to remove the front bumper.

Oil level rising = fuel oil leaking into the sump from the fuel pump, I don't think this is related to the DPF. 

A clogged up DPF (from short journeys) will cause poor emissions and not an increase in oil level in the sump. 

I would get the high oil level fixed PRONTO otherwise you run the risk of engine failure from fuel in the oil being picked up by the turbo and forced into the engine (the only place for extra oil to go) which then causes the engine to run flat out until the engine seizes due to lack of oil as it has now consumed its own lubrication.  It's a common fault on the 2.0d engines in E90s and E60s.  Can be caused by poor quality fuel which eats into the fuel pump seals and causes an internal leak.  Dip the sump and see if you can smell DIEsel on the dipstick.

If it is DIEsel in the sump, trade it in quick and run. Pump seals are big money to fix.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Wisp View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2014 at 18:02
Hi Andrew

First of all let me apologise for double posting...........I'm now smacking myself about the head for being so dumb OuchOuch.

Multiple incomplete regens are well known for increasing oil levels in the sump, and as I've been having pretty much local trips in the last 5 or 6 weeks, its little wonder that diesel oil that's been injected into the DPF to assist in raising the temp & help burn off particulates / soot etc, hasn't been ignited, as the engine probably hasn't been up to full operating temp.

If the engine is then switched off during a regen period, any unburnt diesel then drains back into the sump & over a few weeks of these kind of cycles eventually raises the oil level......the other issue is that the oil gets diluted by diesel, so that's not a good thing ether Cry

I've had the dipstick out & smelled the oil.....very little diesel whiff as it's only just flagged up on the OBD that it's high, but I need to get the level down a bit before it gets any higher and diluted too much, & maybe starts affecting the performance & efficiency of the engine.

So..still on the lookout for a Pela ( or similar ) vacuum pump to suck 0.5L or so out...anyone able to assist please ?
Wisp View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2014 at 18:05
Funnily enough.......the PDC sensor was fine today with no issues on the iDrive  ConfusedConfused

The "dodgy" sensor was clicking away, but that's not to say that it'll still be ok tomorrow...............need to get the bumper off & wiring & sensor checked before it packs up altogether Dead
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2014 at 08:22
One way of getting a DPF to work again that I've heard of is to drive from Glasgow to Lockerbie and back again on the M74 at 70mph in third gear.  That should get the exhaust system and DPF nice and hot.    A recent visit to a BMW dealer, I overheard dealer staff talking about DPF problems.  They take the car for a run whilst it is plugged into a laptop to overwrite the ECU while the driver then basically floors it.

Why would you design a system that would dump waste fuel back into the sump as over filling the sump can be catestrophic?  Yes DIEsels aren't meant to do short trips (<10miles) as they don't get hot but to me that's just wrong.  Its a self destruct thing, why?

What engine is in your E60?

You could just undo the sump plug and drop out some oil and then top up with fresh Castrol?  Would also help to dilute the DIEsel in the sump.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Wisp View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2014 at 13:46
It's a 2009 520d E60.........

The DPF is ok ( I believe ), as no indications from OBD or engine issues when driving. I'm just a bit paranoid just now as not doing any long journeys and the level is increasing, so don't really want to thrash it down to M74 to Lockerbie & back in 3rd gear. Main concern is getting a little bit of the extra "fluid" in the sump out before it becomes an issue.

I've not got ramps, jacks etc to get the car up, far less any tools to get the sump plug out & drain off a wee bit - that's why I was hoping that someone local had a Pela or similar, that could draw some oil out the dipstick hole. then I cold put a wee bit of Castrol fully synth back in.

It's not just a BMW DPF diesel thing.....Audi  / VW / Jag / Renault / Peugeot etc all have similar increasing oil issues when doing a lot of local driving, but of course you never hear the downside of Diesel cars when talking to the salesman   Confused

ConfusedConfused
MAK View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2014 at 15:01
This is just the tip of a very large iceberg.
Guess who is seriously looking at petrol cars for the first time in 10 years!
My Other Car is a SKODA.. really !
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2014 at 16:34
Originally posted by Wisp Wisp wrote:

It's a 2009 520d E60.........
, but of course you never hear the downside of Diesel cars when talking to the salesman   Confused

ConfusedConfused
Mention to the salesman that you do a lot of short drives and that you are worried about DPFs and they soon change their tune because they can then panic sell you a petrol.  We've had recent experience of this when looking for a car for the wife.  A salesman is their to do his job and make a sale any way he can.

A salesman will only tell you something you want to here when you are looking at a car.  He is trying to sell you it, so he will be economical about the truth that DPFs are ticking time bombs enforced on us by the Euro brains in Brussells.  If Alik Salmon gets his way and Scotland is refused entry back in to the Euro, mibbie Scotland can rid itself of the scourge that is DPFs!  Sorry rant over.

You go out to buy say a 520d or a 535d, you will be buying that becasue you are thinking economy and a bit of power, yeah, I'll have that.  The salesman will then tell you that they are tremendous to buy because you get the power and economy.  You buy the car, he gets his commision and you are both happy, win win.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2014 at 16:37
Originally posted by MAK MAK wrote:

This is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

Oh yes indeedily.

Not to mention dual mass flywheels another infliction on a decent car due to the DIEsel engine tuned for power and economy needing to be smoothed out more that a petrol.

They are funny money too when they go bang.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Big Stuff View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2014 at 08:33
Look on RealOEM for diagram of bumper and it'll show you where all the clips and lugs are etc.
2002 330ci SE - Factory Straight - Now gone cause am skint and in a wee diesel - Aw naw - boo hoo
T31MUL View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T31MUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2014 at 15:12
Wisp, if you can PM your e-mail address to me I have scanned copy of procedure for removal of bumper from Haynes manual. I removed my bumper to repaint sensors.
It's not as comprehensive as Andrew's rear bumper removal instructions but you will be able to follow it.
Davie
Davie T31MUL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic