Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEngine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine
    Posted: 12-May-2014 at 09:00
Was thinking, now that i have all most got my car back!!!( after doing body work) i need to do an oil service and other stuff too, there is only one green light left on dash. 

Just to see me over the summer but starting to think of a engine over hall so to speak (for the winter months) 

The engine is lower compression S50 B52 South African car? there is so much going on about BMW using 10w-60 Oil in there service and on the E36 M3/ what is it 5w-40? as Davy for BM Motors used to do the serving i do not know where best to go for info on if any to keep this car a good one. 

Also there bad for bottom ends going other like vanos as its going to be a keeper is this worth it to do 
Such a think to the engine

I think i am just looking for peace of mind after doing all this work on the body i need the rest to be ok Confused

M3 Evo 4 door
Sponsored Links

muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2014 at 19:07
john if you are looking for advice on what oil to use in your car try here

in the sponsors forum and ask the oilman.

the main thing I do with oil to protect my engine is do an intermediate oil change when the V1LAN three green lights still on. I was told many years ago that the cheapest way to look after your engine is change the oil a lot.

I was speaking to the this guy today kenny@oilrite.co.uk. he agrees that changing oil a lot is the thing to do to look after your engine. He distributes oils for classic car and has a website www.oilrite.co.uk. he gets his stuff from Penrite oils.

hope that helps, Sandy

I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2014 at 19:28
This is good info Sandy and many thanks for that

I have been on many forums looking about and reading up on Oil but so much info Wacko

M3 Evo 4 door
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2014 at 08:20
BMW themselves only use three or four types of oil in all their servicing.

Oil for Petrol models, oil for DIEsel models, oil for M models and oil for Minis.

Even at that, I think the oil for petrol engines might be the same as DIEsel engines, so it might be only three types, I can't quite remember what the guys at Fairbairns told me.

I changed my oil recently and used todays spec for petrol BMWs which is oil that meets LL04....which can be a huge range of flavours of oil.  Got it out of Costco £29.99 inc VAT for 4 litres of Castrol Edge FST 5W-40 or was it 5W-30......  You'll not get it at that price from Euro Carparts or even Tesco! 

Oil is an area along with brakes and tyres where you want to spend money on your car to get decent stuff and not skimp on poor quality stuff.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic