Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTiming Chain Adjustment - Warranty Query

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snow_uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing Chain Adjustment - Warranty Query
    Posted: 06-June-2014 at 12:48
Hi Folks,

Just looking for some advice / clarity based on your experience,
I have a 3 Series 2.5 Petrol 2007 Reg – 60K miles on the clock with extended comprehensive warranty with BMW.

Recently had a ticking noise from the engine when it was cold and got it booked with BMW Dealer. They have now diagnosed and fixed the fault by adjusting the timing chain. BMW are stating that this is not covered under warranty as it’s not a failure but an adjustment and are asking me to pay in excess of £500!

To me personally this is still a failure – May not be a complete failure but still a failure nevertheless but have any of you had a similar experience?

A quick response from anyone of you would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 21:25
When did you last change the oil? Was it a decent name brand, Castrol, Mobil etc and to the correct spec? Most 'old/slightly worn' engines rattle slightly on cold start up. A good oil and with correct level will help reduce the rattle. I can tell that my engine needs an oil top up when it rattles slightly more on start up. I changed my oil and filled it full and the rattle has gone.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic