Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExcess question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excess question
    Posted: 17-July-2014 at 18:37
Yesterday a silly woman reversed into me at a junction when I was in my classic taxi. She is not admitting it is her fault and was simply trying to do a 3 point turn in the middle of the junction.

She's damaged to bumper cap where a big scrape is in it and forced the bonnet to close properly.

Thing is to replace these parts and get then fixed is going to cost less than my £500 excess! So I am going to fork out £500 on something that is less than that.

So can anyone give me advice?

If I leave this then I am out pocket to get it sorted. When she can freely do what she wants!
E46 318Ci M Sport 2001 Light Gelb
E39 530I Champagne I Individual Edition 2002
Sponsored Links

BillyP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2014 at 18:53
Firstly so annoyed for you, you were just telling me about the taxi on sunday as well, anyway without being there and just trying to picture this in my head, is she not at fault even if her excuse is she was doing a 3 point turn, you would be stationary so she still reversed into you, plus was it legal to do the turn at the junction?.
Take it there were no witnesses? annoying as it is insurance might go 50/50 on this if none of the above is admitted, so you might have to bite the bullit mate, hope you get sorted
nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2014 at 19:36
It's normal not to admit liability and let the insurance companies argue it out 
  1. Did you exchange insurance details?
  2. Did you take any photos (on your phone would do) before the cars were moved ?
  3. Witnesses?
As Billy said - you were stationary and she ran into you?

Edited by nero - 17-July-2014 at 19:39

Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2014 at 20:02
I was stationary at the time. 

She had just done a left turn out the junction when she stopped half way over it. Her car was half over the hatching and the other half on the main road. She then engaged reverse, I beeped the horn loudly and before i knew it she kept going into the front of me.  

When i got out and asked what was wrong with her, she said that she noticed that the right turn at the end of the road that she had pulled out into was closed and simply tried to do a u turn and reverse. 
She then said she hit because i was behind her and that i never gave her space to the manoeuvre! 

You just don't do a 3 point turn in a junction!

I exchanged details and took photos and do have a witness of what happened. 

I am just angry that what she thinks she did was right and that i am out of pocket because the damage is less than the excess!

Its been a bad month!
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2014 at 20:03
She was first at the junction and i was second waiting.
BillyP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2014 at 20:34
Although the call is yours mate i would let the insurance deal with it , if you have a witness plus no way should she reverse anyway you will win that.
You would get your excess back when her mob pay out, you are not meant to reverse there full stop .
Best of luck with whatever you decide
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2014 at 22:05
Thanks guys.

Just don't want to lose my £500 excess on an £80 fix. But it's her fault and she's leaving me out of pocket.
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2014 at 22:22
Not good news big chap But had something similar in my 325 . A bloke reversed into me no damage to either car & his paint "scuff" on my bumper T-cut out . But I felt something wasn't above board as he was not the owner of the car . To cut a long story short I thought it best to advise my insurance of this "Minor" bump in case it went as far as having insurance Co involvement . Although I & he never made a claim the fact I informed my insurance of the incident my insurance went up (All for the cost of 10 mins of my time & a dot of T-cut) When I asked my insurance why the hike in cost as neither he or I made a claim ......it was the fact I had told them I had been involved that made my cost go up If it was me I would chap the womans door to see if she will cover your £80 ...if not I would bite the bullet & just sort it yourself as better to pay £80 than loose any N.C.D you have
m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3Cecotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2014 at 23:42
Be careful. If you let the insurance sort it out, and they are not successful in persuading her insurers that she was at fault, you may find that your premium rises come renewal time. You may also lose any NCD you have on that policy.

I'd probably not let my insurance deal with it, but make a claim against her personally which she will need to either pay or pass to her insurers.
1981 E23 735i
1989 E30 325i Motorsport Cabrio
1989 E24 635CSi Motorsport Edition

Bavarian Retro Cars
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2014 at 00:03
I actually suggested for her benefit just to give £40 to cover the cost of paint etc but her reply was that I could blackmail into giving me more in the future and that she would rather go through the insurance.

I just feel so annoyed that someone could do this and just walk away.
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2014 at 00:04
How do I go about making a claim against her?
BillyP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2014 at 05:54
Didn't know it was 80pound repair robin, think you might be better off taking the hit as no claims etc will hit for years.
Could try one last time asking her to pay one more time
MAK View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2014 at 07:19
Sorry to read about your hassle Robin. If you even call your insurers then you may be put on file as a higher risk and if you make a claim, even a small claim, then ALL your car policies will increase, not just your classic policy as you will have to disclose the claim ..the woman is being cute and is taking advantage of your good nature it seems.
My Other Car is a SKODA.. really !
stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2014 at 07:44
Mate, I'm sorry to say it but you already know yourself this is a take it on the chin and move on.
I have heard of people exacting revenge to the other person's car when in a similar position but then I would never condone or encourage such loutish behaviour
///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2014 at 08:28
If it were me and was stationary with the handbrake on etc and was hit by a moving vehicle, then the moving vehicle is at fault.

Tell your insurance company that you want to claim, they then contact her insurance company and then they tell their driver that they have been claimed against.   

I think...

If its a no fault claim on your side you get your excess back. 

You only loose your excess if it is your fault.  Sounds like you were not at fault so your excess will be paid back. 

Shorty is right to tell them regardles and they my put your premium up, my house insurace did that as I told them I might need to make a claim for storm damage but my local friendly roofer fixed it for a lot less that I thought and I took the hit.

My car claim was a no fault claim so the insurance company paid out less my excess.  I then got the excess back from t'other insurance company....but the pay out was a lot more than the excess in my claim though so...not quite sure how that would work in your case.

It's a real bummer and you have my sympathy bud.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Honeyman328 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeyman328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2014 at 14:08
Take it details were exchanged ? I would contact your insurance and put claim in. If she was not compromising at time of crash then doubt her thinking will change.

Insurance companies would use police crash reports however police only attend if damage to others property, ie barrier/street sign, if there is injuries, if roads blocked, a motorist refusing to give details. The first two examples only being reportable !!!

I had someone reverse into my 328 sport when I was stationary. The other driver admitted liability at time but when claim went in then other driver stated I hit him. No witnesses and family etc in car don't count along with colleagues (I personally don't have strangers in my car) ?? I was told its a 50:50 claim.

Oh no it's not. I pay legal fees with insurance company so instructed them to send letter stating I would see other driver on court. My insurance company stated they would not do this. I said fine, I will recover costs from you !!!

I was notified that the case would go to court (good as lots of experience here) and few weeks before case other driver admitted liability !!!

This from a driver that got out and apologised to me. Good luck but if me, my insurance would know ASAP. If you have photos tell them. Don't need to produce them straight away ;)

Makes a good case for these traffic cameras all the Russians use .
Now - e36 328 touring, e34 520 saloon
Previous - e36 328 sport
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2014 at 15:01
All insurance companies will tell you not to admit liability on the spot even it is your fault.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
bluebro View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2014 at 15:16
DO NOT CALL YOUR INSURANCE!!!

Call a 3rd party claims outfit like 'Accident Exchange'

They will ask you to explain what happened and if they think you are liable they will tell you to call your insurer. If they think she is liable they will pay up front to have yours fixed, supply you with a courtesy car and pursue her insurer for all costs.

F22 Estoril Blue M235i
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2014 at 19:41
What John Said above

Never ever call your insurance first,as they will shaft you regardless

If you did call them and its only a £80 fix
regardless who is at fault you will have to declare it to insurance companies for upto 5 years after and it WILL affect premium even if non fault

If it were me I wld go get it fixed
send her the bill by registered post with an option to pay or you will go thru small claims to resolve it

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2014 at 20:08
Had to tell my insurance. She was threatening to go through hers after she said it was my fault.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic