Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE46 M3 Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E46 M3 Convertible
    Posted: 08-August-2014 at 20:47
My cousin is thinking of looking at a couple of E46 M3 Convertibles. He has had many BMW's over the years and is in the trade having had his own garage for a number of years. Is there anything in particular he should look for? I spoke to him about the sub frame issues but was not sure the ages of car this relates to. He is looking at a 2004(04) and a 2006(56), both have around 60,000 miles. Cheers. He fitted inner anti roll bar bushes for me today for free so I said I'd ask you guys if there was anything he should know about. Any pointers would be appreciated.
E36 M3 Evo Coupe,Individual Blue Velvet
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2014 at 09:16
Two colleagues at work had the E46 M3, one a coupe and one a vert. The chap who had the coupe was hit with a four figure repair bill for a new vanos unit. He was also having exhaust problems (corrosion or support metalwork problems) which forced him into thinking it was time to trade it.

The chap who had the vert bought a hard top for it but apart from being teased for being a hairdresser he had no issues with it.

Both were of the vintage you are talking about.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2014 at 11:00
1) the exhaust flanges are cast iron & rot where back box fits onto main exhaust ( check out "M3 Cutters" web site & use search find "Corroded exhaust flange thread" )
2) S.M.G gear box is fun ....but so many things that can go wrong with it & can be expensive to fix .
3) mine is a vert ...again if the hood go's A.W.O.L ...can be expensive to fix .
4) The well documented "Subframe " stuff
Obviously if the car has been "Hashed" ....but the fellow being a mechanic he will know his "Onions" on that one .
Last but not least.... for us Vert owners there is ......."The Hairdresser" issue .....he will need thick skin!!!
But on the up side I get to have the hood down & drive with some "Gusto"
with my "Shades" on !!!!

Edited by shorty - 09-August-2014 at 11:02
MAK View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2014 at 13:14
Michele originally wanted an e46 m3 convertible and all the ones we went to see were either hashed or crashed/ repaired. When we saw her e93 we took a gamble which could have been a disaster if we hadn't taken out the BMW used car warranty as it soon needed turbo and water pump. Michele cuts my hair so her car is indeed a "hairdressers car" but brilliant when the it is dry and roof is down.
My Other Car is a SKODA.. really !
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2014 at 14:39
Watch out for clunking noises from the diff
On higher millage or older ones watch out for pinking/ ticking noise from the engine as this could be head gasket failure.
Broken rear springs
Rust starting or rear and front arches, boot lock, bellow the boot at the rear bumper.
Rear floorpan cracking.

A part from that they're great Big smile

Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
bluebro View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2014 at 19:46
Heaps of sh*te, stay well away! LOL

F22 Estoril Blue M235i
Chappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2014 at 20:28
Originally posted by bluebro bluebro wrote:

should I tell him to think about a Volante instead?
E36 M3 Evo Coupe,Individual Blue Velvet
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2014 at 21:00
Originally posted by Chappy Chappy wrote:

Originally posted by bluebro bluebro wrote:

should I tell him to think about a Volante instead?

No

Buy an E30 M3 instead
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic