Forum Lockede46 320d Crankshaft pulley wobbling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e46 320d Crankshaft pulley wobbling
    Posted: 02-September-2014 at 11:02
Yeah, its been reported on here before, the pulley hub breaks up and manifests itself as a wobble. Try searching on here. Its as you say the drive for the ancillaries such as the A/C and it also serves as a vibration damper I think. Probably won't be great to drive it other than to get it fixed.

The central bolt holding it on is dogged up pretty tight I think and may need to be persuaded to come out using a bit of heat. Any decent garage should be able to fix it though. Once up on a ramp, you can get a good long lever on the bolt.

Let us know how you get on.

Andrew
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Brianp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brianp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2014 at 20:58
Hi guys,

After noticing the AC wasn't working on the way home this evening, I opened the bonnet and noticed that there was a belt on the undertray  and a wobble in the crankshaft pulley. 2004 320d with about 135k miles on the clock. 

This strikes me as A Bad Thing, but just how bad? Can I drive it to get it fixed, or will it need recovery? Should I get it done before driving much more? 

Thanks for your advice and knowledge. 

Brian.

Edited by Brianp - 31-August-2014 at 21:01
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic