FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked328 tuning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 328 tuning
    Posted: 15-January-2004 at 09:52

I was looking on the web the other day for info on tuning the 2.8 M52 engine and I came across several references to modified throttle bodies and inlet manifolds on other BMW discussion forums. From what I can gather this guy in Essex who goes by the name Alpine527 modifies standard inlet manifolds and throttle bodies to give good increases in top end power and drivabillity. He will sell you the modiifed parts, on an exchange basis, for around £300 or slightly more if you have anti slip control.

Has anyone heard of this guy before?

Has anyone fitted these parts to their car?

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 10:53

Have you tried a sports filter yet?

I got one from Quikshiftracing and it has improved reponse and the top end.

I'm making a cold air box as when the car gets fully warm you can tell the power has been robbed slightly by the heat.

I've got about (200+bhp) 10bhp over std with just this - Rolling Road tested.

I've seen this throttle mod aswell - but not seriously looked into it.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 11:45

I have also been looking into induction kits but there are very few companies that seem to do them for the 328. I used to have a K&N fitted to a Sierra I once owned and it sounded awsome. To be honest it didn't bother me that it didn't seam to make any difference to the performance, it was worth it for the noise alone

I had heard that quikshift racing would make one. You can also buy one with a heatsheild already fitted from a couple of places in America. www.kormanfastbmw.com and another place called Bavarian Autosport. They are not cheap mind, about $300 plus the cost of shipping.

The reason the throttle and manifold mod caught my eye was the cost versus the claimed increase in performance. Trouble is it sounds to good to be true and I am always very wary of parting with my hard earned cash unless I am very sure.

Alex View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
SW Region Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 14:52

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Generally, to increase power output, you need to improve the flow of gas into and out of the cylinders. There are many things that might restrict the flow of air into the engine, but unless the inlet system is poorly designed (on BMWs it generally isn't) the bottleneck is at the valves. That is why you can only get a few bhp (max ~10bhp I would have thought) improvement by changing the filter and gas flowing the throttle body and manifold. Also, I'd have thought the filter would be far more of a bottleneck than the throttle body/inlet manifold, since it is designed to minimise noise. (Of course, I could be wrong!)

Obviously, if you increase the effectiveness of the valves by modifying the head and changing the cam, there will be more resistance in the inlet system and thus more benefit from improving it.

BTW, the same applies on the exhaust side, but improving flow there will give more bhp and better economy at the same time.

In both cases one has to be careful not to go overboard with pipe diameters in an attempt to improve the maximum flow capability, since this will reduce gas velocity and give you poorer drivability at low revs.

Edited by Alex
Alex Shirley

1990 E30 325i
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 15:25
I've got a BMC CDA fitted to my 328i coupe - http://www.bmcairfilter.com/infoCDA.asp. A wee bit more noise under heavy acceleration and the 'butt dyno' suggest maybe a pony or 2 extra. The dyno plot fo a US M3 shows a gain of 19bhp!

Alpina527 is a well reputed vendor who provides (and can fit) a quality HFM and throttle body for the 328i. The logic goes that the OEM manifold and throttle body were designed to restrict the 328i output to keep it from jumping up a German tax band. His manifold flows significantly more air than the OEM one (250cfm vs 175cfm IIRC). Dyno plots are harder to find - I found 2.

One was an american who fitted an HFM only. His power went up ~20bhp but his torque curve was annihilated! Not good.

The other is a UK chappie (T1000) who uses E36coupe.com. He's having more luck. With the (alpina supplied) HFM, throttle body and quality induction kit he dyno'd at 224bhp (ish) with no nasty effects on torque.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 15:51

I have seen a Schrick manifold advertised, presumably similar in flow characteristics to the one Alipina527 supplies, that  is claimed to give a 14bhp increase over standard without any other modifications. It is sold by Bavarian autosport in the US for about $1200, which equates to about £800, considerably more than Alpina527 is asking.

I might drop Alpina527 an email and ask him about them directly

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 16:05

14bhp for $1200 is a bit steep.

thing is, to benefit a bigger throttle you'll have to get a sports filter anyway, as the OE box restricts even the std set-up slightly anyway.

Polished and ported head isn't really recommended, unless your beast is eating alot of revs and has cammy cams, bhp and torque reductions have been seen from just polished heads.

The filter I have is a stainless steel one and gives a nice rattle bark above 5,000rpm, well worth it for the sound!!

But if you get one from Quikshiftracing, don't get the 328 induction kit as your paying £20-30 extra for a zip tie, extendable foil cool air tube and a little metal bar to hold the filter, which you don't need.

I've just used the filter straight on the AFM and it sits nicely on the charcoal canister. They do sell the filters 'universaly' just specify the right size for your car! Just need to make the cold air box now!!!

dimension View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 19:18
on the k&n filters, is the air filter kits different to the 57i kits you see advertised, i wouldnt mind one on my 328 for the sound more than anything but ive heard loads of people say that after market induction is crap on beemers cuz of it sucking hot air, whats  you views lads, and how hard is it to make a heat sheild?
tigmik328i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2004 at 01:45
If you decide to try alpina527's manifold and throttle body, would like to see what results you get as i am thinking of trying his ideas or something similar. At the moment i have a K+N panel filter and a Superchip but would like a bit more power for not so much wonga. has anybody out there fitted a SCORPION exhaust to their 328 and if so, is it any good or is there a better system?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2004 at 09:19

Dimension,

K&N only do a panel filter for the 328 which is just a direct replacement for the standard filter and fits in the standard airbox. I have heard the same thing about Induction kits on BMW's which is why it is advisable to get a kit that includes a heat shield of or make one yourself like Dave328. This should in theory prevent you hot air from under the bonnet being sucked in. I would not even know where to start making a heat shield, I am looking at kits that include one, such as is sold by Bavarian autosport.

14BHP for $1200 is very steep but then anything made buy companies like Schrick generally is. Also I think the price is because it is for a BMW. I bet if it was for a Ford then it would be half as much!

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2004 at 09:58

Originally posted by dimension dimension wrote:

on the k&n filters, is the air filter kits different to the 57i kits you see advertised, i wouldnt mind one on my 328 for the sound more than anything but ive heard loads of people say that after market induction is crap on beemers cuz of it sucking hot air, whats  you views lads, and how hard is it to make a heat sheild?

When the car is warmed up enough to boot it a bit, it really pulls, esp. at higher revs! But once fully warm i.e, the radiator is warmed up and blowing nice warm air over the filter, you can tell the power reduction, but not loads.

The cold air box is quite simple, I'm making a template first out of cardboard then out of metal, then powder coated.

When its successfully finished, I could make more and sell them - cheaper than the offical ones of course!!

STEVE328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Club member, North East Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2004 at 20:44
Keep us posted Dave,you never know, might be able to make a few quid!!

1996 N Montreal blue 328i saloon 45k / 01 Y Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat.
E30Alpina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2004 at 01:30

Alpina527 is a genuine Guy

I have met him on several ocasions and also know quite a bit about his M52 intake modification.

The throttle body is  precision machined and you get an overal increase in diameter resultng in much better airflow.

The intake manifold is superb.

If you want to see actual dyno results of both these mods then see link below.

He got very good gains from the mods and coould have got alot more if a custom remap were to be carried out. 

http://www.328sport.dsl.pipex.com/

The M52 engine was very very resricted to keep it below certain german tax brackets.  For about £500 (inc airfilter) you can get a realistic 220bhp.

Get it remapped on a rolling road and it will be more.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2004 at 09:08

Well it all looks pretty convincing to me.

I would have had a bit of spare cash as well soon, if it wasn't for the fact that my power steering pump was on the way out!

Oh well, i'll just have to wait for another few months.

E30Alpina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2004 at 20:47

Get a second hand pump......

BM Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2004 at 23:56

Some info - based on hearsay and speculation

I have been told that the intake manifold from the 325i will fit as this has a much larger airflow (This engine produces 192bhp) the one on the 328i M52 is the same intake manifold for all M52 engines and is to restrict the power, it does however produce extremely good low down torque.

Apparently by fitting the 325 intake manifold and remapping the chip 30-40bhp extra may be possible, power realy should come on at 4000rpm plus as this is where the orignal one begins to suffocate the engine.  There will be a small drop in torque but overall engine performance will be much stronger.  If you do not remap the chip the torque figures will drop considerably.

I have been looking into this for a while and have yet to find someone that has carried out this mod directly but it is basically the same as the schrick system only a lot cheaper.

If anyone can verify this info I would really appreciate it as it is all a collection of variuos pieces of information for various searches.

Martin

Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2004 at 09:32

Getting a second hand pump from FAB. It will cost £65 + VAT + £8.50 shipping. Fitting it myself, if it ever stops raining! A bit better than £280 to supply and fit a new pump.

Martin,

I had heard something similar about the manifold. In fact if you follow the link from E30Alpina the guy describes the manifold he has fitted as a modified M50 manifold.

What is a little suspicious is that he only shows the standard dyno results from 4300rpm, so it's not possible to see if the mods have lost him any low end torque and power.    

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2004 at 09:45
The 325i manifold mod is the one I mentioned as having affected the torque. It was performed by an american with no other supporting mods. Based on the comparison of http://www.328sport.dsl.pipex.com and the american's dyno plot I did wonder if the throttle bodies which Alpina527 can supply made the difference?

If you take a step back tho... £300ish for the manifold and throttle bodies, £400ish for a Dastek UNICHIP remap, £300ish for a zorst and you could be looking at about 40bhp and no torque hit for ~£1k. Bargain in today's tuning world.

My problem is I could prolly get a 3.0l M3 for my car plus a grand and I would not have to faff with getting mods recognised by my insurers...
BM Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2004 at 10:42

Check out this page as it had the closest details to what I described above

http://www.eurospeedperformance.com/Articles/328m50.htm

Martin

Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2004 at 12:33
Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

My problem is I could prolly get a 3.0l M3 for my car plus a grand and I would not have to faff with getting mods recognised by my insurers...

But theres always room for mods Webdunk once you get used to the car.......LOL
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic