Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTax Disc Gone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tax Disc Gone
    Posted: 01-October-2014 at 14:17

The tax disc is gone. What does this mean for me?

As the paper tax disc passes into history, we look at how the changes will affect motorist across the country

From today you will no longer need to display a paper tax disc in your car window as records will, instead, be electronic. Here’s a guide to what you need to know about the system.

What is happening to tax discs? From today, they are being scrapped so you will no longer need to display one in your car window. They have been around since 1921 but as the DVLA also keeps electronic records of who has paid vehicle tax it is a “visual symbol” of a“move into the modern age” according to the Treasury.

Do I need to rip my car disc from my window right away? You can do but you don’t have to. Some people may even decide to keep theirs for posterity (or to add to a collection of tax discs).

Will I have to pay more? Not unless you pay in instalments, which you will now be able to do. Instead of paying in a lump sum you can now pay monthly or in two six-monthly instalments. However, this will cost you an extra 5%.

If you pay by credit card you will also be hit with a £2.50 surcharge. The option to pay by direct debit is available for people who need to tax their car from 1 November 2014.

How will I remember to pay my tax? A question that is on the mind of many motorists as the tax disc has always been a handy reminder of when payment is due. The DVLA says it will still send out reminders before a driver’s tax is due to expire. If you still forget to pay you will get a warning before you are fined. Make sure the DVLA has your correct address.

I am buying a car that has some time left on the tax disc. Can I still transfer this to my name? No. Under the new rules you will need to renew the tax immediately, even if there are some months left on it.

I am a seller with months left on my tax disc. Will I get a refund?Yes, but not for partial months. So if you sell your car on the first day of the month (for example) the buyer will still have to pay for a whole new tax year and you won’t get any money back. You will get a refund for any other full months you have remaining.

Won’t the lack of any visible tax disc lead to more tax evasion?The RAC certainly thinks so – it believes it will lead to tax evasion amounting to £167m a year. But the DVLA has dismissed this as nonsense, arguing there is no need for a TV licence to be displayed in a window but that the system is still policed.

Edited by Cambell - 01-October-2014 at 14:19
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2014 at 09:17
So who has peeled their tax disc off their screens then?

I haven't yet, I quite like my Lightning McQueen tax disc holder "I am Speed"LOL
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2014 at 09:49
Nope, keeping mine on.

Its a f'kin racket. If I sell a car on the 1st of the month, I cant reclaim that months tax. The new owner has to pay from the 1st and I'd have to tax whatever I'd bought on the 1st. I'll remember to always sell a car on the last day of the month !
Ham328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Straight Six!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ham328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2014 at 12:16
I've said for years road tax should be scrapped altogether and added to the tax you pay on fuel. Everybody then pays for what they use accordingly.
Stereotypical auld woman who uses her Allegro to go to church and back on a Sunday shouldn't have to pay the same as me doing 10,000 miles a year any more than I shouldn't have to pay the same as a businessman doing over 100k PA.
That system also automatically replaces the emissions based daftness we have now and charges more from those who choose to drive so called gas guzzlers than it does from the ever increasing numbers of people pootling about the motorways at 55mph in their 1000cc eco-friendly shoeboxes.

Agree 100% with Cambell's points as well. It's a government scam with no attempt to dress it up otherwise.
When we vote for independence hopefully we can set up a more just system for Scotland..........Oh Wait
Mrs Pontipine is a nosey bint.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2014 at 16:46
Mine's gone, I need as much vision as possible in a Z4!
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2014 at 08:27
Originally posted by Cambell Cambell wrote:

Nope, keeping mine on.

Its a f'kin racket. If I sell a car on the 1st of the month, I cant reclaim that months tax. The new owner has to pay from the 1st and I'd have to tax whatever I'd bought on the 1st. I'll remember to always sell a car on the last day of the month !

But its always been like that!  Cars can be taxed twice for the same month.

Under the tax disc scheme......

You trade a car in on the 15th of Aug which is taxed till 31st Dec.  You remove the tax disc to redeem it, you can't get the tax back for the month of August as you are part way thru it as its unused whole months.  So you get 4 months tax back in your pocket.

Someone buys your car on the 20th Aug.  He/she has to tax it as you have taken the tax disc from it to reclaim it.  He/she then has to tax the car from the 1st Aug which means the tax disc will expire on 31st July the next year.  That means the car will have been taxed twice for the month of August.

No change.  How is that a new racket, its been a racket for years......

I've now removed my tax disc. 

I'm with the tax on fuel, I currently get 22.9 mpg on my 6 mile run to the station.  I get about a month out of my tank as I'm doing so few miles now, so I don't pay much for the pleasure of my car.

Tax needs to be increased on the cancerous DIEsels.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2014 at 09:26
Agree with Cambell. have sent email to a classic car magazine about this rip off
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2014 at 09:47
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Selling / buying a car with a current tax disc was a perk. I didn't have to tax my M5 for 6 months as the guy had already taxed it. 

This is no longer an option. 

Edited by nero - 03-October-2014 at 13:31
alanross View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2014 at 08:05
Its a farce!

Ment to 'save' the motorist in excess of ten million quid yet my car tax is not going to drop.
Its an easy way of seeing if a car is kind of legit of being on the road.

If you've got a tax disc that runs well into 2015 then its worth a few hundred on fleabay. Folk are selling them, guess its crooks buying them to alter and put on cars to drive or sell on. Or to ring your car ;-)

So I'll have a reminder that my tax is due.. What if it doesn't come in the post? Am I liable.. Of course, its sheeite.

I ran about earlier this year for six months with no mot. I buzzed by many police cars yet none batted an eye lid, guessing their cars ain't too well equipped.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2014 at 08:22

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Selling / buying a car with a current tax disc was a perk. I didn't have to tax my M5 for 6 months as the guy had already taxed it. 

I notice this was edited by NeRo............why ? I never post anything I shouldn't !!
nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2014 at 11:35
@Cambell ~ you quoted Andrew and edited it to pick out a certain point. However, you edited out one of the square brackets ] of the BBCode so it wasn't shown as a quote - I edited to fix it

Here is your original ....

[QUOTE=Andrew Rolland]
[/QUOTE

muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2014 at 12:56
and when you sell a car you get the tax back on that, swings and roundabouts.   except for the month you always lost.

I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2014 at 14:42
Admin error Cambell lol!LOL

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2014 at 15:17
Originally posted by nero nero wrote:

@Cambell ~ you quoted Andrew and edited it to pick out a certain point. However, you edited out one of the square brackets ] of the BBCode so it wasn't shown as a quote - I edited to fix it

Here is your original ....

[QUOTE=Andrew Rolland]
[/QUOTE

Thanks NeRo, thought I'd maybe been a bad boy ! As you know, I'm an angel so was a bit confused.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2014 at 15:19
Originally posted by muppet 2 muppet 2 wrote:

and when you sell a car you get the tax back on that, swings and roundabouts.   except for the month you always lost.

Yeah but the new owner would get that month for free as a "buying incentive"
Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2014 at 09:10
There is a petition on this tax con. We should all sign it, I have
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2014 at 17:00

Thanks NeRo, thought I'd maybe been a bad boy ! As you know, I'm an angel so was a bit confused.

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2014 at 08:46
Didn't Cambell mean to write

I'm a bit confused.

Sorry BudLOL

Or is that just me that is confused in my sleep deprived state?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Boy121 View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boy121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2014 at 15:06
I found this infographic that gives a good summary of all the changes in an easy to understand way. Hope it helps the confusion - http://www.gbshowplates.co.uk/new-car-tax-rules-2014/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic