Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCold start issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wullieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold start issue
    Posted: 12-January-2015 at 00:07
Hi guys new to this and looking for help, but over the last 4 months when i'am starting my 325d M sport 2009 plate 59000 miles the engine shakes violently and you get a smell of burning this only lasts for about 6 seconds then everything is ok also when i stop the engine it shakes but if i press the clutch in it's not as bad, don't know if it could be glow plugs or fuel injectors.....feed back would be great.....PLEASE HELPAngry

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2015 at 13:19
A fault with glow plugs or fuel injectors would show up on diagnostic check.  Sounds like it's missing a cylinder or two.

Can't think why depressing the clutch would make a difference, might add a slight bit of additional frictional resistance which might dampen things out....unless. Does this one have a dual mass flywheel, some DIEsels have dual mass flywheels which can give vibrations/problems but tends to be a DIEsel Volkswagen fault.  Although I don't think they manifest themselves as a rough start up.

Are you using good quality fuel, serviced recently, fuel filter good?
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Wullieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wullieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2015 at 13:29
Thanks for the reply Andrew, I'am going to call Douglas Park in hamilton and see how much it will be to get checked (diagnostics). I used to use tesco fuel but over the last 3 month i have been using v power fuel and yes its due a service. My engine is a e90 m57.

Thanks
wullie
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2015 at 08:37

Good luck at DP, keep us posted on the outcome.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Wullieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wullieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2015 at 10:13
Just called Douglas Park to get price for diagnostics test and they want £100...........No chance, i've found a garage in EK (Thomsons auto centre) they quoted me £30 for diagnostics test going to book it in for Thursday and see what they say......cant keep up with this problem much more as the car seems to be using a lot of fuel only getting 39mpg.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2015 at 08:11
A standard diagnostic check is usually 1 hours labour.  BMW want £100 per hour labour, even on my old barge.

I wouldn't go to DP for a completely different reason but they aren't being unreasonably expensive here.  By the time the girl at reception has processed your paperwork, car is then moved about, moved into the workshop, plugged in, codes read, reset, driven, codes read, washed (scratched) cleaned inside (badly) and then keys given back to the service reception, where there are leather couches, wifi, hot and cold drinks...., it soons adds up to them needing £100 from you to pay for it all.  But thats what happens in top marque car garages.

39mpg, that's good isn't?LOL  I got 39mpg out of my car, once.Big smile

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Wullieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wullieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2015 at 11:37
Just back from garage and it's not good Angry, duel mass flywheel needs replaced + glow plugs need done total cost £1100 just like that. Now looking around to see who is the cheapest anyone any ideas?

Garage says that I should get it done quickly as it could wreck my gear box is this true?

Looks like you were right Andrew. 
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2015 at 12:59
Try BM Motors 07730 713159 he's in law village. If not him try owen ferry in paisley both very respected indepenadants
Wullieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wullieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2015 at 15:07
Been trying to get a hold of BM Motors but land line is dead, Is it still there?.......Thanks will give him a call.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2015 at 08:42
Wow, wasn't convinced that I was right.  I would have thought a problem with the dual mass flywheel would have been present when you drove it right across the engine rev range.  Although the whole point of the dual mass flywheel is to dampen out the vibrations at low revs right enough thinking about it now.  So it would manifest itself on start up.......Got that bit wrong then......

Dual mass flywheels have been fitted to the newer model of DIEsels, its to counter balance the roughness that you get at low revs as the engines are being strangled to meet the emissions rules.  Older cars not subject to the same tight EU/tree hugging rules and do not need a dual mass flywheel as the engines use more fuel to run smother at idle than modern ones, but produce more greenhouse gasses warming the planet up......

Its even worse on the small engined stuff, Ford are going over to three cylinder engines which need big dual mass flywheels in an effort to make them run smoothly on idle.

Guys at work who have DIEsel VWs and Audis have had them fail, not heard of a BMW suffering a dual mass flywheel failure.  Rovers yes, but not BMWs.

Get a new clutch put in as well as the gearbox will need to come out and the clutch taken off the flywheel.  The labour cost for sticking in a new clutch will be very little, just the price of the part.

Or trade it in and run.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Wullieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wullieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2015 at 09:45
Got a price from Owen Ferry in Glasgow for Flywheel & Clutch £925 that's not doing the Glow plugs as he would like to check this out himself, he said it might have blowing the control unit for glow plugs as this is common with this model when a plug goes down.......going to keep it already spent over £1000 getting brakes and tyres on it....time to start saving.

Thanks for your advise Andrew.
Vinnie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinnie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2015 at 17:39
Good Luck from me too !!

bmw service

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic