Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA few winter repairs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few winter repairs
    Posted: 28-March-2015 at 23:17

I thought I'd post up a few pictures of some work ive done on the M5 this winter. Smile

First up was a rather annoying Oil leak from the left bank. I replaced the cam cover gaskets last year when it was off the road for winter. I thought that was the cure, but no...so off with the plenum again....

The Power steering pipes had been leaking and as well as a leak from cam cover, i spotted the o-rings on the vanos solenoids had been leaking too. So they got replaced too.

Also while the coil pack covers were off, i rubber them down and laqured them. Much better.

Next up was the brakes. I had a bad wobble under braking, so i decided to have the discs skimmed, then i painted the centres... Smile

Then whilst the brakes were off, i thought i'd check the front wheel bearings, i gave them a spin......yip both rumbly, two new wheel bearings required..nice....Ouch

The calipers were looking scabby, so i stripped them then had them powder coated and rebuilt with some new seals...

Much better. Big smile

Next up was the usual culprit of the M5, leaking diff seals, so exhaust off, clean it up, diff out, refurb and back in.

Out...

In...

Repaired and cleaned...Smile

After a quick ru of the engine, the oil leak was back, so back off with the plenum and cam cover, Hylomar gasket sealent and back on....again... LOL

Thats most things for now, tomorrows job is to clean and refit the under trays, bleed the brakes again and a few small clips and drive home!!Oh yeah and a wash its manky from dust in the unit!! Cry

A BIG thanks to Cambell for all his help as usual! Thumbs Up
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
Sponsored Links

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2015 at 07:26
Vroom vroom

gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2015 at 22:46
Brilliant work
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2015 at 08:13
Impressive stuff indeed Paul, I'm envious of what work you do on your beast!

How did you replace the front bearings?

Did you remove the knuckle by seperating the strut, wishbones and the track rod end from the knuckle whilst on the car, then take the knuckle and bearing unit out to unbolt the bearing from the knuckle?
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
MAK View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2015 at 09:39
Superb as usual Paul & Cambell, no short cuts, Genius's!

My Other Car is a SKODA.. really !
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2015 at 10:05
The bearings are bolted on with 4x 18mm bolts i think, i could get 3 of them easily from the back, for the fourth i had to slacken the strut from the hub and remove it slightly. It wasn't a bad job, just awkward due to the locktite on the bolts.
johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2015 at 15:26
Cool as bud looks like a good job done Clap

M3 Evo 4 door
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2015 at 23:13
Paul great thread! You might want to post it over in the car club forum as well as most folk are over there these days! 👍😜

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 07:14
I have done Issy, its in the pictures section. 😃👍
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 07:20
There's a pictures section ?

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 07:22
muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2015 at 10:44
Are you fixing Cambells now?

I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2015 at 19:33
Originally posted by muppet 2 muppet 2 wrote:

Are you fixing Cambells now?

Nope I am, but I'm sure Paul will be kind enough to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic