Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHeader tank leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claire1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Header tank leaking
    Posted: 23-April-2015 at 10:03
Hi I have a bmw compact 2002 my car is leaking coolant I was told by a mechanic the header tank is leaking I bought a new header tank mechanic fitted it I drove the car home checked the coolant and it was empty the coolant had run right out the bottom if the tank I filled with water and it's holding nothing mechanic telling me it wasn't leaking yet the old tank was holding water the mechanic is confused to why this is happening can anyone help me with the answer the car haven't over heated there's no mixture of oil and water ! Thanks
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2015 at 08:25
Hi, could be a hose hasn't been connected properly when the tanks were switched over.  Is it the right tank, some have other conenctions that may not be used on all variants of engine etc.

If you are loosing that much coolant, the leak should be fairly easy to spot.  Park the car over dry clean ground and leave it, run the engine for a bit, have a look on the ground for any leaks, should give you an idea where it is leaking from.

Or it could just be that it needs topped up.  After working on a cooling system esp BMW ones they are a nightmare to get all the air out the system.  It could be that you had an air lock after it was fitted that worked its way out when you drove it home and just simply needs topping up.  If your mechanic didn't bleed the system when he filled it, you could end up with this.  My E39 was a nighmare to get the cooling system filled after working on it. 

Don't drive it if it is overheating, you will turn the engine/head into something that is only fit for making baked bean cans out of.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic