Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede30 boot seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e30 boot seal
    Posted: 17-November-2015 at 12:25
age old water in the boot problem.
Im sure this has probabaly been dealt with on previous posts but i cant find it so can anyone tell me where i can get a new boot seal for my e30?
Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2015 at 14:06
Dealer?
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
E30 ONLY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E30 ONLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2016 at 23:15
Hi Dash,

You should be able to get one from your friendly local dealer who'll at least take your arm off at the shoulder, and smile at you warmly for the privilege ! Wink 

However, if your existing seal is outwardly in good condition, and stays in place on the edge of the boot compartment opening, that's half the battle won.

In case you aren't aware, the water doesn't get in over the top of the seal, it gets in under the seal, because the original sealant which comes pre-injected into the underside of the rubber seal has hardened and cracked.

In this case, the cheaper option is to go to B&Q, and buy a tube of non setting butyl rain gutter sealant, then just get the seal off the car, and inject a new fillet of sealant into your existing seal, and simply refit it - that should be problem solved. the only other place it's likely to get in is around the tail light seals - which are a rotten design, but will respond well to the butyl gutter sealant.

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by E30 ONLY - 18-February-2016 at 23:16
Dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2017 at 16:46
thanks all, in the end i used Seals+Direct £16 as apposed to dealer £60!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic