FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE34 clear indicators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E34 clear indicators
    Posted: 18-January-2004 at 13:21
Ive just bought a set of clear indicators for my e34 535i sport but i dont know how to remove the orange ones. I know you have to unclip them somehow but im not sure how to go about it. Anyone got any advice ?
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2004 at 14:48

According to my book.

1. remove black plastic cover from behind headlight

2. remove bulb holder and bulb

3. undo the two retaining screws

4. push indicater out from the rear.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2004 at 14:49
If I'd have known I would have swapped you lol, mine has clear but I want to put them back to original.
Best Wishes

Nigel

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2004 at 15:28
There should actually be 3 screws holding the indicators in, 2 next to the headlight and 1 that screws in to the wing.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2004 at 15:37

I've recently changed the wings on mine and didnt find anything to do with the indicators attached to them, in fact I left the indicators in place.

But that may be due to having patterned wings rather than genuine

Best Wishes

Nigel

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2004 at 15:45
I am not 100% sure that it actually screws in to the wing, it could just be a bracket which sits infront of the wing ?

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

ROGER KILLEN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2004 at 20:57

DEAR NIGEL

MY NAME IS ROGER KILLEN

I,M LOOKING FOR CLEAR LENS FOR MY BM E34

IF YOUR INTERESTED I,LL BUY YOURS

ROGER

Deathace View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Don’t stick keys in electrical sockets.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2004 at 17:45

if you follow the rough directions above you will be on the right track however you have to have agile hands not big clubs like some of us.

open the bonnet and remove the plastic light covers, retract the air filter hose on the right, it just pushes back into the air box and remove the other air intake hose from the left, pulls off the cover (535i) you will then be able to see the back of the lights.

on the right side/drivers (looking from back to front) its fairly easy to remove as you have a bit more space by the windscreen washer res. There should be 2 or 3 screws one bolts into the wing and the other 1 or 2 bolt the indicator unit into the headlamp housing.

See picture above for the general area if you are feeling your way rather than seeing then it requires a little dumpy phillips screw driver and place it above the metal bodywork that the actual light housing bolts to and you will feel either the 1 or 2 screws (mine only had one in the middle and 1 in the wing) undo these screws and then feel under the top of the wing seam and you will feel the flap (that you see sticking out the back of the indicator) feel right along as you may not have screws in there but if you do then use a long phillips screw driver and steer it to the head of the screw with your hands and then undo.

Gently push from the back to the front so the indicator comes out by the headlight and the wing and then from the front gently pull it further until you can unclip the bulb housing. I would advise getting osram or silvatec bulbs before you do this task as trying to change the bulbs with the lights in place is bloody murder, i had to take mine out again to replace the bulbs.

to replace the old and new lenses you need to reverse the above but being careful not to drop the screws. In the end i had to selotape the screws in place in the holder then put the indicator back in and then gently push to get it in correctly and then screw the screws in and then remove the tape when the thread had bitten into the wing and the headlight housing then carry on screwing them in until the indicator sat flush with the headlight surround and the wing.

repeat the procedure with the left side/passenger (looking from back to front) which is alot more trickier as theres less space due to the headlamp washer bottle (if you have this).

I would test the lights at each stage to make sure they work before fitting back just for sanity sake.

to give you an idea of the look of normal orange bulbs v silvatec ones click here http://www.deathace.net/gfx/bmw/indicators/535i_ind_fr_ora.jpg (orange) looks better than orange indicator lenses but still not the point of changing the lenses. http://www.deathace.net/gfx/bmw/indicators/535i_ind_fr_sil.jpg (silvatec) now this is what i expect clear lenses to be like and it looks absolutely mint.

The sides and the rears are a hell of a lot easier to do (1 screw and prise the sides up change the bulb and the cover and reset back on the wing) and the rears are just 3 bolts holding the lense in place pull out and push new one in and do up bolts plug in light plug and check the bulbs are the right ones.

http://www.deathace.net/gfx/bmw/indicators/535i_ind_rr_ora2.jpg (orange) rears didnt look as noticeable close up but further away they did http://www.deathace.net/gfx/bmw/indicators/535i_ind_rr_sil2.jpg (silvatec) these look alot better either close up or far away now.

The sides i have done but there is no visible difference as the bulb sits further back and not seen through the lense but the colour was rather different to the front and rear so i changed them anyway now they all match.

You can get silvatec bulbs from bmtown for 15 quid a pair (45 quid total) or you can get them a little cheaper from auto-cruise on ebay (exactly the same bulbs for 11 quid inc delivery per pair) you want the opposite pin bulbs not the offset ones for the front and rear and w5w wedge bulbs for the sides.

hope this helps

Russ

Edited by Deathace

1990 535i SE Auto Metallic Glacier Blue, Low Mileage,
M-Tech Bodykit, Full Leather & Various Custom Mods.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic