FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEvo sport exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2004 at 13:11
Guys,

You obviuosly have not read past threads on exhausts.

Do not buy a Hayward & Scott exhaust. I paid £800 for a hand made exhaust from H&S and it lost me 42 BHP, yes you read that correctly 42 BHP. Before I had my car (which is now sold) fitted with Motec at Powerstation I had the Split Second MAF sensor on it with a Hayward & Scott exhaust, my power was 214 bhp. We took off the H&S and put on a Miltek exhaust, which as John W said was ground out on the inside with extra weld around the flange joint, and my power was 256 BHP before fitting the Motec, after fitting Motec power was 265 BHP.

I went back to H&S with the dyno charts and they gave me £300 back for the exhaust as a good will gesture, but I was still £500 down. That's how good a hand made exhaust was.....a total and utter piece of cr@p.

If you need an exhaust on a 2.3 or a 2.5 then Miltek is what you need nothing else!

Andy.

Edited by Andy OH
Sponsored Links

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2004 at 14:47
Andy OH

Am really pleased you added that last post - I had a recollection of somebody saying they had had a stainless system made up specially that was useless, but wasn't sure who the company was....so I now won't be using H&S for a system for the M6 - anyone know anyone good??
Andy OH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2004 at 22:00
jonners,

Try Miltek, they are a big company so they may well do an exhaust for an M6.
Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2004 at 09:16
My brother got his made by Long Life on his M6
They did a quite a good job. I also got my M3 done by them, but it is quite noisy although they will make it as noisy or quiet as you want (I have since found out!)

Phil
smckeown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2004 at 09:55

Interesting Andy OH...

Like I said I have no terms of reference, as this is my first m3.  Its just gone into Legeds for a massive service and repair list, and one of my gripes is the lack of power, specifically low down torque

Sean

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2004 at 10:02
smckeown - I had a similar thing with mine when I bought it, it turner out to be a foam type air filter clogged up with oil, the engine just couldn't breath.
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2004 at 13:43
Don't expect a stock M3 to have low down torque, cos it won't. It's very different animal to the inline sixes.

Just warm it up and give it some revs
steve1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2004 at 19:22
I wondered if someone would mention long life, I've heard good reports about these systems from other people but not any one with an m3, regarding any power gain/loss, anyone out there had one of these fitted and had the power output checked, be interested to know.
1990 black sport evo- Now Sold
1988 325i touring ( written off )            
2002 ZM Coupe, hamann styling
328i touring ( '95 )
Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2004 at 20:30
H & S are honest if you dig deep. Just after I got my car I considered one of their systems. They were very honest when I asked for details ,to tell me that they had NOT dyno tested their M3 exhaust and also told me just like the Scorpion system it doesnt have the X piece in the pipe (although they could fit one if I required it). I decided to not go with a system that wasn`t tried and tested knowing just how good the BMW std exhaust is and how the S14 can react to bad exhausts.

I have a milltek and have had it for 10months or so now(and many miles). It sounds great. I did originally have a fitting problem which turned out to be bad fitting by a garage (and Powerstation put it right - was hung off of the wrong hanger or something) and recently my car does have a bit of a buzz especially when coming off the throttle. Possibly a lose baffle but haven`t had this confirmed. BMW had a look around and couldn`t find anything obviously although I wonder if it is the exhaust shield but I think they checked this. I kind of sounds like that exhaust rattle/buzz Ferrari`s make. Only really hear it with the windows open.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic