Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedover heating !! 730iSE (L REG)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: over heating !! 730iSE (L REG)
    Posted: 15-January-2003 at 18:30

Anyone any ideas of what could be causing my car to overheat.  Had no problems up until recently when the car over heated after about 45 minutes into journey on A Roads.  Pulled over as soon as problem occurred and allowed car to cool down.  Checked all the usual, hoses etc and refilled radiator with water and antifreeze.  Set off again and same happened.  AA came and checked thermostat which was sticking and so he removed it and problem still occurred.  Checked for air lock and radiator was bled and checked and everything was fine but problem still persists. 

Car in local garage suspected it was water pump but only found noisy bearing.  Radiator was flushed out and cylinder head gasket checked out and was okay.  Cannot seem to find the problem and so could anyone out there please give me some helpful information on how to find the problem or any fault procedure to go through.

Cheers

Pete

Sponsored Links

Slatz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2003 at 21:52

It could possibly be a faulty indication problem.

If it just started happening, with no gradual increase in temp over a period of days or weeks, then it's more than likely electrical. 

Check that the electrical feed wire to the temp sender isn't shorting out to earth anywhere (if it is, it will give a maximum reading on the gauge).

I've also had temp senders fail on me.  If the thermostat sticks or fails, the temp sender can sometimes 'overcook' and give some pretty weird readings.

Good Luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic