Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWheels?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheels?
    Posted: 16-February-2004 at 18:35

My 635 has these TRX malarkies fitted to it.

I have to admit that I love the cross spoke styling of the wheels but I dont like the idea of £200 a corner for the matching tyres. Im a big fan of Goodyear F1's as Ive found there wet weather handling characteristics to be superb on other powerful cars and would like to go this way with the 635 eventually.

Question is whats the best wheel to fit to replace the TRX originals?

I would really like to keep a BBS cross spoke type of style if possible. Ive seen 635's fitted with more modern alloys and it doesnt really work for me.

Sponsored Links

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2004 at 20:08

Basically any wheel from a e32 7 series, e34 5 series, e39 5* series as well as the E28 and E30 M3 will fit.  * the wheels from the e39 will need hubsentric rings as they are 1-2mm larger in the centre bore.  You have two real choices. One to go with BMW original wheels in which case it is either a case of buying from a main dealer and getting ripped off, or looking for a second hand set. Ebay is a good source. The other option is to go for an aftermarket wheel usually in the case of a replica. If it was me there are two wheel types that i would conside. The split rim cross spokes off the 840/850/540. These come in 8j, 9j, and 10j. You want 8j for the front and 9j for the rear. 10j will be two wide. Or an Alpina wheel. you can get either a 16" although these are very rare and come with a black centre. A 17" set again if you can find them, these have a key lockable centre or as i have bought a set of Alpina replicas. The only real difference is 1 spoke less on the replicas, although the genuine ones are better quality. Alpina's come in 7j, 8j, 9j, and 10j  widths.

I would recomend buying either a 16" or 17" wheel as a 15" will give you a less wide wheel than you currently have and ultimately a six could do with a bit more grip.  Personally i would go with a 17" as they fill the arches nicely, but when i can find a set of Alpina original wheels either in 16" or 17" i will swap them as i am trying to create an Alpina replica.

The choice is yours. For a grand selection of wheels you should have a look at http://www.bigcoupe.com which is a great 6 series dedicated web site.

Hope this is helpfull.

James

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2004 at 13:26
Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

Basically any wheel from a e32 7 series, e34 5 series, e39 5* series as well as the E28 and E30 M3 will fit....

You want 8j for the front and 9j for the rear. 10j will be too wide.

Y e e e s s s . . I think I've been here before....

Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

Or an Alpina wheel. you can get either a 16" although these are very rare and come with a black centre.

Not always. You can get new stock 7"x16" and 8"x16" Alpinas from Germany which have lockable centre covers... They do cost about 270 quid for each wheel, though...

I would prefer to keep my wheels the same width all round, mainly because I'm fundamentally lazy and it allows me to have a spare which is also the same width...

Edited by Horsetan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic