Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked6 SERIES TO 5 SERIES PART SWAP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 SERIES TO 5 SERIES PART SWAP
    Posted: 17-February-2004 at 14:46

I HAVE A (1979-80)633 CSI WHICH I AM RESTORING, I RECENTLY BROUGHT A 528(1986-1987). AS I UNDERSTAND IT THE 6 SERIES IS BASED ON THE 5 SERIES FLOOR PLAN. I'M LOOKING FOR SOME HELP ON WHAT IS INTERCHANGABLE. AS THE 5 IS A LOT NEWER!!!, LOOKING AT CAHNGING THE SUSPENSION... ANY HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

CHEERS

AL

Sponsored Links

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2004 at 15:49
Originally posted by alamo alamo wrote:

I HAVE A (1979-80)633 CSI WHICH I AM RESTORING, I RECENTLY BROUGHT A 528(1986-1987). AS I UNDERSTAND IT THE 6 SERIES IS BASED ON THE 5 SERIES FLOOR PLAN. I'M LOOKING FOR SOME HELP ON WHAT IS INTERCHANGABLE. AS THE 5 IS A LOT NEWER!!!, LOOKING AT CAHNGING THE SUSPENSION... ANY HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

What you have acquired is a 6 Series based on the old E12 5-Series floorpan. Your 1986/7 528 has the later E28 floorpan. The respective wheelbases are different.

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2004 at 19:31

I agree with Horsetan you need an E12 5 series or 6 series car to part share as the e28 based six is very different and not many parts are convertable. You will also have part sharing possible from the CS coupes which shares the same floor pan.

I would recomend having a chat with Fritz in Somerset as they are a 6 series specalist and break a lot of both e12 and e28 chassi 5's and 6's. I don't have there number on me now, but will forward when i can.

James

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
alamo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2004 at 14:29

thank you both,

if you could let me know of that number it would be great sohlman

cheers

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2004 at 15:19

Alamo,

Fritz bitz no. is 01823 669425

These guys really seem to know what they are doing. They will probable try and encourage you to have an engine upgrade. I am going down to see them on the 27th to have a brake conversion fitted.

James

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2004 at 22:28
Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

Alamo,

Fritz bitz no. is 01823 669425

These guys really seem to know what they are doing. They will probably try and encourage you to have an engine upgrade...

...and the whole exercise will become inexorably more expensive....

In Latin: "Paulatim sed firmitier"

alamo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2004 at 14:23

Do you know what parts,if any can be swapped?only bought it off my mate for £50, so i'll rinse it for all its worth then get rid of it. Just thought its a lot newer than my 6 so a newer part swap would be a good idea before i get it on the road again!!

Cheers for all your help

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2004 at 14:56
Oh dear, this could be major research job....

Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2004 at 21:49
There is absolutely bugger all you can use from an E28 apart from the cylinder head and the wheels. It's surprising how different the early and later Sixes were. Every body panel apart from the bonnet, nosecone and bootlid is different (even the roof skin!), different engine (3430cc not 3453), different gearbox (no speedo drive because it's an electronic unit), totally different suspension and brakes, diff, interior. Really, they are two entirely different cars linked by a common body style.
The 633CSi was the first model (along with the carburettor 630CS which didn't come here) but it finished in Europe in 1980. However, it was sold in America and Canada until 1984 using the European 732i Motronic engine complete with a catalyst. It too went over to the second generation type in mid '82.
The only warning I would give is not to spend too much on one - they really aren't sought after and as a result aren't worth a great deal - £1000 tops. If it needs loads of work, get rid and buy a sound but tatty 635CSi as these were a vastly better car. You can then use all your E28 bits........
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2004 at 14:03
I would disagree with getting rid of the 633 in favour of a more modern 635. How many 633 do you see on the road? I have never seen one, although plenty of 635 and 628. Stick with your restoration!
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2004 at 14:52

I think what has got to be remembered is that any restoration project costs on any six is very unlikely to be recovered if you were to sell the car whether that be an e28 or e12 chassied car. Thats not to say that you should not do it as restoring cars is great fun and provides you with enjoyment, and what price can you put on that. I have spent a small fortune on my six in the last year and i know horsetan has to and it was worth every penny.

Your 633 is a car that rusts in a way that Italian cars do and so this should be your primary concern. E12 chassied cars rust everywhere. I would get this done first and foremost and rust proof anything you can get to. Once this is done you should sort out all running gear and engines. It might be worth putting a later model engine in as they are a bit quicker and have better reliability. The car you really want for parts if you can find it is a M535i E12. All the suspension on this is interchangable and significantly uprated. If you are lucky you will be able to find some Mahl Alloys and a dogleg box. Lastly and to finish the car off you want to find some bumpers in good condition and a recaro interior. If you already have these you can get them treated, recromed and trimmed.

If you pay someone to do this it will be very exspensive, but if you do most of the work yourself i would expect you could keep to a fairly modest budget.  However that would be about the same price as buying a very good e28 635csi.

Good Luck

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2004 at 17:12
Originally posted by Quendil Quendil wrote:

I would disagree with getting rid of the 633 in favour of a more modern 635. How many 633 do you see on the road?...

It would need to be something like a 633 "Hallmark" to justify spending large amounts of wonga...

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2004 at 17:18

....I have spent a small fortune on my six in the last year and i know horsetan has to and it was worth every penny...

...up to a point....

Your 633 is a car that rusts in a way that Italian cars do and so this should be your primary concern. E12 chassied cars rust everywhere.

This is primarily because Karmann used to be responsible for assembling the whole car. When BMW realised what a sh*te job they were making of "kwalitee control", they relegated Karmann to assembling only the body shells, which were then transported to BMW's Dingolfing plant for the rest of the work to be finished...

Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2004 at 18:20
Well, I could go and buy a rusty 633CSi, spend god knows how much time and effort not to mention money and end up with what? A four speed car with soft suspension that nobody is going to thank me for rescuing. Rust is the big thing - if it needs wings, welding and whatever, just forget it.
If you're going to restore a 6 in a major way, do it to a car that's desirable and saleable at the end of it.
The same goes for 628CSi's inasmuch that a really, really nice one will only ever be worth £1500 if you can find anyone to buy it. 635CSi's are so cheap at the mo. A guy I know bought an E reg black one with a manual box that used to belong to one of the Saatchi clan. New wings, nice all round condition plus a big stack of bills. He paid £1600. No it wasn't a Highline but it just shows that they are out there. I bought a switchable automatic A reg 635CSi about 7 years ago from Blackbushe car auction. It was a white one with blue leather Recaros, new wings, a new set of Metric Avons and working air con. That one was £2200.

A running driving 633 that just needs a few odds and sods doing and maybe £500 in a bodyshop is sort of worthwhile, but restoring a rusty wreck is completely futile. Take this from me - I owned two of them.
So there aren't many left - who cares!?
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2004 at 18:30
Originally posted by Andyboy Andyboy wrote:

Well, I could go and buy a rusty 633CSi...Take this from me - I owned two of them.
So there aren't many left - who cares!?

I'm told the dump at Claygate in Surrey is growing Sixes again...

alamo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2004 at 18:34
Well i think i've made a good start. The whole body has been re-welded, no-rust left, and wax-oiled. Have got mint condition front and rear chrome bumpers. Have replaced the brake pipes and hoses. As far as the engine goes, doesn't appear to need any work done!just a little tuning. The clock says 59,000 miles, which seems very unlikely, but there is hardly any wear in the engine.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2004 at 20:10
Originally posted by alamo alamo wrote:

...Have got mint condition front and rear chrome bumpers....

Then you can count yourself very lucky....

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2004 at 21:04
I've noticed that the prices for 6's have gone up over the past couple of months, especially since the pratical classics article. It seems a shame to dump a car just because it is an older version and has rust. Obviously you have to make a judgement on how much welding it needs doing. If all the rusty Karmann built BMWs had been thrown away there would be even fewer of the E9 CSI and CSA left which would be a big shame. I hope you have fun restoring your 633. I'm hoping to start the restore of my M535I E12 very soon.
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2004 at 23:16
Out of interest, what colour is it? My two were JRG (Jewish Racing Gold) and Reseda green which was nicknamed Receding green due to it's propensity for fading. The gold one was an Automatic 1979, the green one a '76 manual. Both are now long gone alas.
The white 635CSiA was seen last year at Woburn Abbey and still looked good due to all the Waxoyl I sprayed into it.
Sounds like you're making good progress with it anyway. I can't remember the last time I saw a 633CSi in any condition.............
alamo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2004 at 11:43

its the bmw red/orange colour. Re-spraying it myself the same colour when all the bodywork is finished. So far all the work i've done on it hasn't really cost much at all!!got most of the parts from private ads. For example got the rear bumper(mint), a petrol tank(off a late 635csi - which fits) and a window motor for £70. I would definately recommend to anyone looking for spares- to do some serious research first- and barter hard!!!!! How can you put pictures on here- it does look really good!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic