Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI知 thinking of buying a 318i

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I知 thinking of buying a 318i
    Posted: 18-February-2004 at 14:46

Hi all,

I have a quick question and would greatly appreciate any feedback ...

I've never owned or indeed driven a BMW of any description. My love is for classic minis but after some idiot jumped a give way sign last week and wrote off my pride and joy I'm looking at what I'll get next ... not ready to jump back in a mini .... it's a scary car to be in when your skidding sidelong into a van at 50 mph!

Anyhow ... to cut to the chase ... I've been offered a BMW 318i at what I think is a very reasonable price (500 quid) it's in good nick, lots of new stuff ... an '88 E plate and I believe it's an 'M' whatever that is?!

I've often thought they're nice looking motors ... but I'm hoping someone on this forum can tell me what they're really like ... Are they good to drive / reliable / safe / expensive to run / expensive to fix / expensive to insure etc etc ...

Like I said ANY helpful feedback or advice will be greatly appreciated ...

Many thanks,

BJ 

Sponsored Links

325i Ron View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2004 at 19:50
Hi BJ

Welome I hope to BMW ownership, you will never look back. Like all BMW the 318i is pretty tough, first rust check the rear wheel arches inside and the scuttle under the winscreen. The rest is not usealy no to bad. The engine, bottom half bullet broof the top can be a bit ify if it has not had reagular oil changes. Check out the cam is not to noisey may be a bit on start up but should quite down after. There plent of independet service people about, parts you can get from E.C.P and German & Swedish, I suggest you by TOTAL BMW Mag and check the adds. Hope this helps have a look at the E30 section on the club web front page we are have a 21st at Rockingham you will meet lots of owmers and get plety of addvice

Edited by 325i Ron
Richard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2004 at 20:54

Nice one Ron,...  Hi BJ and another welcome.  Ron says 'you will never look back' ! he's right of course but for the purpose of my encouragement to you just let me take a look back over the years ...   I'm a very young 60 this year and have been a car owner and enthusiast since I was 15.  Although never having owned a brand new car I've lost count of how many cars and how many different makes of car I've owned over these years but I can tell you they include many what would be classed as prestige marques ie.  Mercs, Porche, Alpha Romeo etc. to name but a few, and many regular makes too.  In the past I've always been ready to move onto my next car.  Here's where it ends!  I would never wish to sell on my BMW E30 it most definately is the best car I've ever owned in many ways.  ... It is a drivers car!  As they say ... 'BMW the ultimate driving machine'.  Go for it BJ, but with caution as Ron says, check it out well.  Good luck.

Regards

Richard

E30 Register NE Rep.     

keef View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2004 at 23:03

I just recently got an E30, F reg. Lotta miles on it and a few little glitches, like a whining diff and a non-functioning n/s electric mirror and an intermittent speedo.

All that aside, it's a smashing car and I'm glad I've got it. I've been a very happy BMW bike rider for a few years now, and if the quality and sturdiness of the cars is half as good as the bikes, we're on a winner!

And the best part is, the colour very nearly matches my bike. 

keef

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2004 at 09:56
For that money they are well worth it. I'd just check that the cam belt has been done recently, that is not smokey and that it runs to the rev limiter in 2nd or 3rd gears.
bjpanther View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2004 at 14:02

Many thanks for the replies and encouragement ...

My poor mini was taken away today  so hopefully the settlement cheque won't be long and I can pick up the beemer ...

I need another car with 'character' and I think they certainly have that ...

Now all I need is to find a BMW equivalent to 'Mini World' and start understanding terms such as 'E30' ?! (Any clues?)

Thanks again all ... will be good to get back in something more 'classic' than the new corsa hire car they gave me!

Timray View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2004 at 15:52
Because every BMW 3 series is replaced by a car called the BMW 3 series, people use the factory codes to distinguish them.

Your 318 (1983-1990) is an E30. The next 3 series (1991-) was the E36. As Ron says... you will not look back.
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2004 at 13:41
Well there's always Total BMW, but a Mini is a Mini (I know the feeling of careering out of control into an obstacle in a Min, did it in my 1340 S back in 90 on the first Italian Job...ouch!)

318i, they are good cars.

Oh and the 'M' is normally seen on a lot of BMW's but only as a badge. The real M cars (M3 M5 M6 etc etc) are the equivalent to the Cooper's and Coopers S's in the mini world, loads of people want one, loads have the badges on their minis, but few have the genuine articles!

Edited by M3AG
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
bjpanther View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2004 at 08:32

Thanks again all for the feedback ...

Well, I've now got the 'Beast' and I must say I'm happy with it ... good fun to drive and goes like sh*t off the proverbial shovel when I put my foot down ...

A bit different from the mini!

A couple of little gripes I'll have to look at ... a tinny vibrating noise outside that I'm assuming is the exhaust not coupled properly somewhere, a sqweeky rear shock, and a speedo needle that bounces around all over the place (when it can be bothered to move at all) ... I'm guessing that'll be something to do with the cable either loose or on its way out? ... a common problem?

Ah well ... it's only a problem where there's a speed camera!

Cheers all!

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2004 at 09:55
The speedo is driven electroncally form the diff. Check the connection there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic