Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 real world economy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 real world economy
    Posted: 18-February-2004 at 20:59

Just got meself a 1997 528i SE. The owners manual and various websites (Parkers) indicate that extra urban MPG is about 38 (optimistic?!), urban is 21 and combined is 29. Any ideas what the real world economy is for someone who knows where the accelerator is? Figures for extra urban, urban and combined would be appreciated or a weblink to somewhere that has them for UK 528i's.

Stone

91 525i SE man (any takers?)

97 528i SE man

Sponsored Links

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2004 at 21:46

We have a e39 528 (99) model. We have had as much as 37MPG driving very carefully at around 50-70 on the motorway. We have had 26mpg as the worst we have ever achieved and generally get between 29-31mpg with a mixed driving of town and motorway. When we first got it we drove to Barcelona in August crusing at around the ton mark for 16 hours and achieved 33mpg 5 up with the air con on.

Best info i can give you i'm afraid

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
Stone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2004 at 01:48

Thanks Sohlman, that'll do nicely.

It sounds considerably better than my E34 525i which does ~28 mpg on the motorway and ~22 on 'normal' commuting in town and twisty country roads. I have to rev the 525i hard to get it to fly and the mpg gauge heads so far right it hurts!

Cheers

Stone

91 525i SE man

97 528i SE man

Ascotgrun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2004 at 14:30
The E39 is lighter and is possibly (certainly looks it!) more aerodynamic than the E34, so I would expect it to better the E34's fuel economy based on that alone.  Secondly, the larger sixes seem to give higher MPGs than the smaller ones so that too will contribute to better fuel economy.  I know that if the time comes that I replace my E34 with an E39, I wouldn't want anything less than a 528.  
1995 520i SE
danio2020 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2004 at 21:23
You also need to bear in mind the improvements of the later engines and also to the DME engine management system improvements which will also return better MPG over earlier cars
fellie528SEauto View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2004 at 08:31

Only had mine for 5 days, 'sactly the same as yours Stone ( although mine has 17" alloys with 235 tyres ) and having covered all of 200 miles, the computer that I reset the day I bought the E39 it says 20.9mpg

Side note: friend of mine has a 523se auto '99, he replaced all 4 contis with fulda extremo's, claims to have lost 4-5mpg average :/ (thats me out of the round at the pub, I recommended them, I had them on my Passat at the time )

Ill post more when Ive done a few more miles Stone :) My 5 has 130k on the clock to

Stone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2004 at 23:27

Currently getting 23. something MPG on an urbanish work run over 150 miles or so. Thats driving restrained as well. Have yet to give it a proper open road test as I've been away. Will get a chance next month with a (ahem legal) blast down a few M Ways.

I have to admit I was expecting better MPG from a newer car with a better DME. My tyres are Pirelli 225 16"s with plenty of meat left.

Fellie - nice pic of your motor. Mine has a few less toys and no angel eyes (yet) but it's a manual which is the bit I like .

Stone

fellie528SEauto View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2004 at 20:13

hoping to get a few more pics soon, that is the one that tempted me to my car lol, ( the autotrader advert pic )

im getting ave. of 23 also now, but on a 50 mile run recently, it was ave. around 42 at a steady 70-90, cant argue with that, due service to soon :o/

are your tyres an aquatred type? ( v pattern as oppsed to lots of lines around tyre :))) friend of mine with a 523 99 just changed all 4 to rain pattern/ aquatread affairs, lost about 4mpg he reckons ( thought id explain the situ there a little better :)))

good run does em loads of good Stone, find an excuse, take offa while

Ian :0 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2004 at 13:03
'99 520 gives me 32.4mpg a tank with no long runs.
Ian
Stone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2004 at 21:39

Still not done a long blast yet but after adjusting pressures and another 40 miles I'm getting 22. something on the same run! That's no better than my old 525i with the same tyres. Oh well.

Current tyres are all P6000's. Some marketing waffle and a picture can be found here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P6000

Anyone got any other suggestions for tyres with reasonable performance and economy?

Good to hear Ian's getting over 30mpg but I'm too attached to the 528's pulling power to give it up

Stone

PhiL P View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2004 at 19:16

I filled up my 2001 520i 2.2 manual last week with Shell Optimax, reset the OBC then drove the 18 miles to work in London City and back again - 21.2 MPG

Didn't think tyres would make a huge amount of difference to fuel consumption - mine are pretty worn Dunlop SP Sport 01s.

bigpow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2004 at 10:34

Had my 528 Glacier green manual, for two years now, running on bf goodrich 225 60 15  tyres and getting 34 on a run or 24 around town.  Upgrading to 17 m5 wheels this week.  My rear tyres are only lasting about 8k ( heavy left foot ).  Anyone interested in clear lenses upgrade German and Sweedish £175 & VAT.   Hope that this helps ?

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2004 at 14:20
best way to calucalte is like this -
fill the car to the brim - reset the trip and drive for 100 miles. go back to same garage and refill to the brim again. note now much money the refill costs.

now you know how much it costs to drive 100 miles!! way better than those mpg readout thingies!!
Stone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2004 at 21:54

Eamo - reckon you're right there. But, most pumps tell you how many litres they deliver so I don't need to worry about going back to the same garage. Unless, unless you're suggesting UK fuel quality varies more than it should?!

Petrol gauge seems to sink pretty quick so I suspect the mpg readout isn't far wrong. Angry

Stone

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2004 at 10:01
Stone

the reason I would go back to the same garage is that the price per litre will be the same. if you went to another garage the price of the petrol could be dearer/cheaper and therfore not give you a clearer picture.

Stone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2004 at 19:01

Agreed, but I'm interested in miles per gallon, and as I can get the number of litres from the pump readouts, the price isn't such a worry.

Cheers

Stone

spike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2004 at 12:47
As an experiment, I tried to see what I could get out of my 530i E39. With 600 miles since its first service I have averaged 30.3 and and on one 35 mile trip (a warm engine) I got 40.3 with some very carefull cruising at 60 mph. Not bad eh?
bigpow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 12:12

Spike

You must be driving down 35 mile long hills.  I couldn't get 40 mpg if I was on the back of a RAC lorry

Just bought a pair of 540 sport alloys with toyo tyres so I wonder if my mpg will go down 255 on the back !!

spike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2004 at 12:07
Well it was very carefull driving. Cruise control on just about the whole time. Also using optimax so that may give it the edge. Also not sure how accurate the computer is. More typical consumption is around 30 with gentle driving on the motorways and low twenties around town. Really depends on how you drive it. Sure I could get high teens if I really enjoyed myself!
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2004 at 12:14

In my experience the computer can be a little bit optomistic when it comes to fuel consumpsion. It is on my car anyway, generally between 2 and 3 mpg better than actual.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic