Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockeda/c servicing how often does it need doin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: a/c servicing how often does it need doin
    Posted: 26-February-2004 at 12:05
On previous non BMW cars, I had the a/c serviced every year regardless. I have a 2 year old e39 which just about due for its first service. The dealers say that it does not need servicing. Is this the case? Are these cars prone to the refridgerent leaking out or is it fully sealed?
No problemds with mine as far as I'm aware but just curious.
Sponsored Links

danio2020 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2004 at 21:19
It basically needs regassing when it noticeably becomes inefficient, usually as the warmer weather approaches, it is not in the service schedule for routine maintenance like brake fluid changes are.On average approx between 2-3 yrs-more frequently if the system is not used during the winter months, as the gas settles and excapes past the seals. It is recommended that the aircon be used all year round so as to stop this happening but also to aid dehumidifying the interior of the car when it is raining/cold outside. This will also stop the characteristic "wet dog" type odour coming from the system if its not used for some time, which is caused by bacteria forming in the evaporator. You can buy cans of aerosol that is sprayed either up the heater outlet or in through the pollen filter inlets that will help eliminate this odour should you get it. Average cost of regas approx £100-£120 inc. VAT.
spike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2004 at 11:53
thanks
lozlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2004 at 11:01
I used to have a refrigerator guy regas my cars for about 20 quid when I lived in UK. All it is, is connecting a gas bottle to the ac piping and waiting til the pressure is enough. I paid the equivalent to a tenner here in Jakarta for my M5. Careful you don't get ripped off.
Jakarta M5
525IX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2004 at 02:54

Lozlee, the best way to kill your cars aircon system is to let Freddy Fridge get his fingers on it. The substance that is in the aircon system is a refrigerant, not a "gas", and there are literally hundreds of different refrigerants, so how would you know what he charged your system with? Chances are for 20 quid it would be anything that he happened to have in the van at that time. Cars are charged by weight, rarely by pressure and although it is possible to do this is beyond the capabillities of many. I note that there was no mention of pumping the system down or use of a vacuum pump, air in the refrigerant system will result in at best poor cooling, at worst, compressor failure. The good news is that to replace your compressor (You must also change the drier and expansion valve and flush the entire system out) on something like an E39 would only set you back around £700, which really is Ford money.

Get your a/c system serviced every 2-3 years, clean out the crap that collects behind the cooling fan and make sure that the electric cooling fan does work, they are very poor quality and are vital to your aircon systems long life and correct function.

Price for a recharge in the UK? Expect to pay between £50 and £70 plus VAT

lozlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2004 at 11:45

Wow, guess I was lucky my a/c was still ok. However, the place I took my BMW to in Jakarta is a proper garage and it looked like they did exactly the same as the UK fridge guy i.e connect the refigerant bottle and wait for the (pressure?) gauges to come up. No pumping of the system. But thanks for the info..I'll bear it in mind next time.

You have shown it pays to shop around though.

Jakarta M5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic