Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedResponses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Responses
    Posted: 21-January-2003 at 19:47
Sorry, I can't hold back any longer! The ratio of responses to viewings is terrible right across this forum. Surely this forum exists to get like minded souls working to help each other, to enable people to realise that you can run a damn fine car for the same budget as a disposable hatchback with a little effort and co-operation. Do you lot EVER talk to each other?! The outside world's perception of a BMW driver is of an arrogant individual who has his/her head stuck firmly up their arse.... A scan across here could possibly prove them right?
Regards
Peter Young
(4xE12s, 1xE12/8, 1xE28 over the years, amongst other makes)
P.S. There is no intention to offend, just to assess opinion.
Sponsored Links

nickp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2003 at 20:55

hello peter,

i'm a relative newcomer to the forum but i do the odd post and have made a few replies too!

i'm on my first bm which will hopefully be the first of many!

maybe its a sign of the times mate, no one has time for anyone these days!.

michael760 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2003 at 21:50
I couldn't agree more Peter,again i'm relatively new to the forum but have placed the odd poser with no or few replies.I'm sure you guys out there must know a thing or two about BM'S or you wouldn't be logging on!!It's up to pepole like you yes you! who are reading this to pass on any usefull info you might of gathered along the way.Please don't let this chance of a decent website die as i'm sure it will if you guys and girls don't start tapping some keys!!  All the best to all BMW owners MIKE.
Alex View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
SW Region Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2003 at 01:06

Perhaps nobody knows the answers!

I haven't had a reply to my question about the economy meter in my 316 (how it works and why not working properly), but perhaps no-one knows. I can't find the answer in the Haynes manual!

Alex Shirley

1990 E30 325i
thatorangething View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2003 at 07:36
My E28 had one of those, I have always assumed that BMWs economy meter is their take on the old fashioned vacuum guage. Engines produce little manifold vacuum under hard acceleration, a high figure at idle, and even more under deceleration. the vacuum guage takes a small bore hose/pipe from the manifold up to the dash, where a guage will use vacuum as an indicator of how hard the engine is having to work - the higher vacuum figure, the better. Am I right in thinking that BMWs guage does not work in all the gears? If so that gives the possibility of a vacuum line leak, or some kind of switch failure. There is a possibility I'm talking rubbish here, as i've never looked at BMWs system, but I will try and ask someone today!
Regards

Peter
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2003 at 09:07

I think you've just got to be patient... I've answered a fair few posts and got some useful answers myself. You have to remember that not everyone knows info on all types of BMW. My knowledge is at it's best on the E36 and even then I've got loads to learn. I know far less about many of the other models out there.

The other thing to remember is that as we operate a forum structure which lumps all the models together for queries your posts have to be fairly descriptiive...for example, your post "E12M535i Racer" may have been more accurately title "WANTED: E12/28 Roll Cage".

M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2003 at 15:19
Also this forum is relatively young, so as time goes on, hopefully more and more knowledgable people will join in and share their wisdom.
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2003 at 19:24

The economy gauge on bimmers are all the similar to each other and yes they do work of the vacum in the air intake. On the Bosh units it's the little wire that pokes out from it. Somtimes these can corrode. Thats what happend on mine anyway. In all fairness it a pretty uselss bit of kit.. when have you ever slowed down because it was reading to high. Oh and they are remakably inaccurate. Anyway good to see lots a few people interrested in the site.

Oh and does anyone know what happend to the breakdown in specific models on this site, or am i just being a idiot and it has simply been moved

cheers

RobTheRat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2003 at 20:31

I'm a bit new to all this, but it seems that the "General Discussion" bit has been largely replaced by "Anoraks R Us".

Don't get me wrong - Forums are great for sharing knowledge, but the General forum doesn't seem to be the place for very technical queries.  It will put the less mechanically-minded off joining in.

On a more positive note, I posted a message recently regarding a trip to France, and the replies so far have been great - all within a few days.

This is the sort of thing that interests me, and hopefully others too.  If I get a technical problem, I'll be straight onto the Technical Forum if I can't sort it, but let's keep the general one a bit more light-hearted!

Keep up the good work      

Alex View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
SW Region Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2003 at 01:10
Thanks for the info James. Actually, I posted my technical querry in the Technical section initially - I just thought I'd mention it again in this thread to see whether I could get any answers. It worked  - My problem got several replies (in the tech section). James seems a little more confident with his info though! I will check it out... now, where's my Anorak?
Alex Shirley

1990 E30 325i
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic