Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedABS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ABS
    Posted: 02-March-2004 at 21:33
I've just spent a very expensive weekend fitting new struts/ hubs / abs sensors / suspension and brakes to the front of my six. I now however seem to have a problem with the ABS which I never had before. At 80mph the light comes on and stays on, do they take a while to bed in? Any ideas would be welcome!
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2004 at 22:12

The only time I have ever heard of a problem like this was on a 5 series.

That had different profile tyres on it, ( one was different to the other three !!)  which led to a slightly different circumfererance.

This led to a "following error" within the cpu going out of range with increased speed.

I dont know, but imagine you are sensing on the hubs, possibly wheel bearings.

Are they both absolutely identical ?

And more importantly, do they match up to the rears ?

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2004 at 10:30
All the front suspension is new and identical including the hubs. I also know that all the wheels and tyres are the same. I must assume then that there is some difference in the rear. I know the rear still has the lowered springs on which I have not yet got round to changing maybe after I do that it will make a difference.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2004 at 21:29

Dave

I cant see how the springs will matter.

I'm not sure what its sensing on, but the effect will be four pulse trains going back to a micro.

You have at least one of these trains going out of synch, either too fast, or too slow, it wont be much, and the "error" will increase with speed.

If you actually had a sensor problem ( a missing pulse train ), as soon as you went above the "base" speed,( normally 10 - 20 mph ), the system would error.

If you have access to a scope ( maybe someone at work ?), you could scope the sensor , with the car in the air, spinning the wheels at a known speed, ( use a drill with a rubber wheel in it, onto the tyre tread ).

You could then look at the "mark space ratio" of the trace, and see the offending "wheel".

This wouldnt work on cars with different sized wheels on the front and back ( like some 911s etc ) , as the difference will be dealt with mathmatically back at the micro.

I wonder if you could look in the manual and see what its sensing on ?

If its ferrous and exposed, and therefore corroded, that could cause a problem, just carefully clean it up, being careful to preserve the spacings.

Was it ok before you changed all the stuff at the front ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic