Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 318iS Top MPH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 318iS Top MPH
    Posted: 11-March-2004 at 20:47

Hello,

Was on the M1 last night at 2AM, empty lanes, I reached 130mph in middle lane and the rev needle was just gettin to 6000, does this seem normal?  When would the engine cut out... at 6500??  It seemed like it wanted to go faster... The car is completely inmodified.. but has 122K on clock.. cant really complain i suppose..

Whats the top speed other fellow 318iS(E30) drivers have reached?

Cheers

Mos

Sponsored Links

pualo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 21:16

Every now and then a thread like this gets started, and it either descends in to a p***ing contest, where someone will eventually claim their 316i with an induction kit does nearly 200mph, or you'll get attacked by others who don't believe in doing those speeds on public roads, and it will turn into a tedious debate about why it is/isn't perfectly acceptable to do it.

Why bother? 

Toys will be put back in their pram shortly.......

Danny_boy View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 21:28

Hey,

The lad is new and it's his first post.

He was only asking a civil and interesting (to me anyway) question.

Give the guy a break

johnny318is View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 22:02
130 MPH is pretty good for a 318is, thats all I'm going to say.

Apart from - How did it handle?
John

Plymouth UK

96 E34 540i Individual
98 E39 523i SE
01 Renaultsport Clio 172
pualo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 22:04

Danny,

I'm not looking to have a go at Mos at all, and I apologise if thats the way I came across. It was a fairly civil reply I thought. But I still stick to what I said. Any thread that starts talking about top speeds on public roads always ends up with bigger and bigger claims, followed by 15 pages of people arguing over why they should be allowed to do 130mph on the motorway at 0200, with those that think its a hanging offence, before a Mod jumps in a locks the thread.(I'm not just talking about this forum, others seem to do the same as well).

I enjoy this forum 'cos people on here seem to be on my level of thinking - unlike forum's like e36coupe.com which seems to be rapidly turning into Max Power for BMW's. They have even started getting threads named 'Had my first kill today...' Oh dear.

Mos, welcome to the forum - glad to see you are enjoying your Beemer as the boys and girls in Bavaria intended it to be used.

Paul

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 22:45
Originally posted by bmw318is bmw318is wrote:

Hello,

Was on the M1 last night at 2AM, empty lanes, I reached 130mph in middle lane and the rev needle was just gettin to 6000, does this seem normal?  When would the engine cut out... at 6500??  It seemed like it wanted to go faster... The car is completely inmodified.. but has 122K on clock.. cant really complain i suppose..

Whats the top speed other fellow 318iS(E30) drivers have reached?

Cheers

Mos

Speedo will be out slightly at that speed dude but it won't be to far off, sounds about right i'd say, prolly get a bit more out of it but make sure your tyres are pumped up correctly at that speed as they go pop very easily if they aren't.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
bmw318is View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 22:59

Hahaha... you guys are making me laugh... I didn't know this was such a dodgy debate.... :)

Seriously though, I'm no boy racer... I don't advocate unsafe driving at high speeds... but if there is a safe opportunity, i may take it... and last night was just one of those... ive had the motor for 4 months now, been gradually pushing it to see what I can get out of it, and next time any of you guys are on the M1 at 2AM... man those empty spaces/lanes just make you step on it a little...

Johnny318iS : The car handled solid... didn't seem like the car was in any trouble... only thing that worried me a little may have been the 14" BBS's... but I have decent tyres on them...  (gettin P6000's soon)

Pualo : Hope this post doesn't attract too many anti-speeding people... but than these probably are the same people who hog the middle lane at 70mph ;)...

Paul325i: Better check my tyre pressure... btw.. whats the top you have reached on your 325?

Sheepmeister View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 23:16

Aren't there speed cameras on the M1? 

I'm 19 and I've been driving less than 2 years and have 3 points on my license... 3 more and boom. L plates for me (how sh*t is that law anyway?). I want to push my car a little further than 80 but it stupid, I'm absolutely terrified of speed cameras. Even on motorways where I know for sure there arent any, its stupid, I'm getting paranoid.

Sheep

bmw318is View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 23:29

Sheepmeister : Don't think there are any from jc 11 til jc 2 anyway... I've been doing 90-100mph most nights.. haven't seen any... (been looking for the boys on blue though)... seen people pulled over a few times... but they seem to be more interested in people in newer cars...

No point being paranoid about cameras mate... just be careful... dont speed in residential areas.. and dual carriage ways... or go through red lights... I;ve been drivin for 12 years now... the first 3 points I received was last year for  going through a red light at 5AM... i just didnt reply to the fine... they still haven;t gotten back...

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 01:18

Hahaha... you guys are making me laugh... I didn't know this was such a dodgy debate.... :)

Seriously though, I'm no boy racer... I don't advocate unsafe driving at high speeds... but if there is a safe opportunity, i may take it... and last night was just one of those... ive had the motor for 4 months now, been gradually pushing it to see what I can get out of it, and next time any of you guys are on the M1 at 2AM... man those empty spaces/lanes just make you step on it a little...

Johnny318iS : The car handled solid... didn't seem like the car was in any trouble... only thing that worried me a little may have been the 14" BBS's... but I have decent tyres on them...  (gettin P6000's soon)

Pualo : Hope this post doesn't attract too many anti-speeding people... but than these probably are the same people who hog the middle lane at 70mph ;)...

Paul325i: Better check my tyre pressure... btw.. whats the top you have reached on your 325?

I've shown off 150mph on the speedo, but again 4am in the morning and the road was completely empty for miles.  Thats not an accurate speed reading though, probably made 145 in reality.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 09:48
Ah the old speed debate. Well I got my 328 up to 140 the other day and it was still pulling strong. Mind you Paul is right when he says that speedos aren't accurate especially at that speed. To be honest I would always reckon on them being at least between 5 and 10% out once you get past 100mph. They way I look at it is that cars very rarely go faster than the manufacturers claimed top speed. If you read road tests in the motoring press most cars can't actually acheive their claimed top speed. For example BMW claimed 147 for the 328 but most magazines only managed 142 - 143 when they tested the car.   
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
pualo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 12:01

Hog the middle lane at 70mph, with their sidelights and fog lights on regardless of time of day and weather conditions....yep, they're the ones. I'm not an anti-speed person at all. I didn't fit an M3 engine into my 328 for good fuel ecomomy ya know....

Edited by pualo
bmw318is View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2004 at 08:28

Hello Guys... one quick question... than let this rest... is it possible for a E30 318iS to reach 130-135mph? or is that engine not capable of doing speeds like that?  I'm on a US E30 forum.... there they are complaining that their US E30 325iS(with 168bhp..less power than a standard UK 325i?) just get to 130 with great difficulty.. so Im chatting BS... but the thing is i confirmed it with my Audi A6 mate behind me...  and he confirmed his tacho was on 130... and i was ahead of him... unless both of our tacho's our conked out i must have been doing the speed..

So the question is... do our US buddies have under powered Beemas... or limited in some way? I mean  this guy with 325iS only got 168bhp.. i would have expected a little more....

And one more... a E30 325i UK spec does more than 130 init...? whats the theoretical top speed>?

o yeah the US forum....  :)

http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=16&t=10160&st=0#entry94048

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2004 at 09:48

bmw318is, the E30 325 was quoted as have 171bhp in this country, so 168 is only a bit less. This could be due to the engine being detuned slightly for stricter emission laws in the US.

I don't know what the quoted top speed for the 318is is but it is going to be around the 130mph I would have thought.

BTW just because the car behind was also going 130mph according to the speedo doesn't mean you actually were going that fast. All car speedos read positive at that speed. It doesn't mean they are 'conked' it is just how they are. On top of this as the tyres on your car wear the rolling radius of the wheel reduces thus reducing the gearing of the car which again will put the speedo out by a small amount.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
325captain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2004 at 17:54

boys,

been on the A19 last night. super unleaded in the tank with octain boost from halfords for good measure. with bon jovi in the changer and the amps cranked up, the beemer pulled out a respectable 153mph

kiss the black top.

Southy_GTI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2004 at 18:43
Tyre blow out anyone?
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2004 at 14:36

The more accurate way of getting the speed is by finding out what mph per 1000rpm your car does in top gear - normally listed in tech specs for the car.

21mph @ 1000rpm in fifth will mean 126mph @ 6000rpm

i think my 328 is about 24mph per 1Krpm and at 4,000rpm it shows about 100mph which when worked out is 96mph from the revs.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic