Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pegsta View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twitchy Z3 2.2
    Posted: 19-April-2004 at 12:45
I had the "twiching" like you describe on my 328 before I had the front shocks replaced.  Now they've been done I don't get any movement through the wheel under braking - hard or not or on bad surfaces.
1998 Boston Green 328i SE
Chipped by ChippedUK

Sponsored Links

simnew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2004 at 11:26

You said that you had to 'hold' the steering wheel to keep the car in line.

Thats not right at all - you might get a small switch but not all the time and you should get your dealer to check the tracking and or brakes - sounds like you light have something more serious wrong - Do you get wheel womble when you brake lightly at high speed ?  If so you have warped disks and should be replaced by the dealer under warranty.

Tramlining is an issue for wide wheels in general. The Z3 is a fairly scatty chassis - ie its fairly lively or nervous on the road especially if its bumpy because the car tends to twist. The Z4 doensn't suffer from this but its still fun to drive and the 2.2 is more than enough power for the chassis. anything more and you are likely to put it in the nearest hedge.  Makes a lovely sound as I recall !

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2004 at 18:21
Originally posted by 325captain 325captain wrote:

1.2 nova on 18's. it tramlined so much i wrote it off into a bus shelter.

Still, probably the best thing to a Nova anywaybiggrinbounce2

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
325captain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2004 at 17:43

punters,

ive driven a wide variety of vechiles in my time. i would certainly aggree with the point about the wider the tyre the more tramlining. back in '02 i piloted a 1.2 nova on 18's. it tramlined so much i wrote it off into a bus shelter.

williambelow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 11:06

I'm not sure about the tyre pressure but will check it - I'd assumed that as I've had it only a week and it came from a BMW dealer, the pressure would be right!

I also don't know what width the tyres are - though they're standard 16" 5 spoke alloys from BMW.

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 10:24
Yes, tramlining is an issue on BMW's with the boomerang control arm suspension (everything!) with tyres 205 and over. Width is the predominant factor with some brands being worse than others. Tyre pressures can have a minor affect too. What are you fronts at?
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 09:21

The car not going in a straight line is called tramlining and it is caused as the dealer says by having wide tyres and poor road surfaces or roads with a camber. BMWs seam to be particularly bad for it, the new Z4 was criticised for it by EVO magazine when they did a group test rercently.

The front wheels on my car twitch frequently when braking over poor surfaces. Again this appears to be a trait of BMWs if you read the reveiws in the motoring press.

However I know the E36 has a reputation for wearing out suspension bushes which can cause poor handling (rear z arm bushes in particular). I don't know if the Z3 is the same, but if you are concerned you could always have them checked out.

Don't know about the stereo.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
williambelow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 09:10

I have just bought a 2000 plate z3 2.2 from a BMW dealer.  Very happy with it except for a few things.  I was wondering if anybody could tell me if this sort of thing is usual for z3 2.2's:

- when I brake (even at relatively low speeds) the front wheels "twitch", and I have to hold the steering wheel to keep the car in line.

- when the car is going at reasonable speed - above 40/50mph along a straight road, the car sometimes doesn't want to go in a straight line! - the dealer has told me this is due to having wide tyres and the roads being uneven (?!)

- when I switch my stereo on (BMW standard business radio cassette) it makes a very short buzzing noise.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  Thanks!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic