Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThat M50 manifold on a 328 again...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2004 at 10:55
Originally posted by alpina527 alpina527 wrote:

There is no performance benefit with the 12 fin manifold. I convert these manifolds to a plug and play condition and it's only the 12 fin ones that I can do.

I can also convert  the traction control body to big bore as well.

So is the 12 fin one better or not? And is it 9 full fins and 3 half ones before the TB for the 'better' one?

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
Sponsored Links

alpina527 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2004 at 20:08
Yes Dave. You have the correct one.
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2004 at 15:36

Just checked my figures and my economy has gone up by 1.5mpg!?!

Hans Freikit View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2004 at 08:59

This is an old thread, I know, but I've just got round to having it done on my 328, so thought I'd post my opinion.

Alpina527 fitted the complete manifold and BBTB kit to my car on Saturday. It really is superb, and I can't recommend it enough: improved throttle response, much smoother shifting on the auto 'box, and generally much nicer to drive.

The installation is not trivial, so if you're thinking about doing this for a 323 or 328, I'd honestly say that Alpina527's fitting service is excellent value for money.

HF

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2004 at 09:24

Welcome to the de-restricted world!!!

I went to see Jayson (chippeduk) for a remap on Saturday, quick and easy, apart from the drive home, a truck had turned over so it took me nearly 3 hours to get home instead of 1!!

First impressions are the low down grunt (below 3,000rpm) is improved and top end. Overall a smoother more linear power!

I think the mpg has gone up, but I've been using the power!!  32.5mpg according to the trip computer - urban commute with a bit of motorway. Shall post properly when had a week with it.

I have recorded a drive with the camcorder and have a mic in the engine bay, sounds quite nice!! Will post a clip when I get round to it!!

Missed a good bit as the tape ran out. Went down a country road, listening to the induction rattle , 3rd gear, then hump back bridge, wahaay we're airbone!!!

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2004 at 10:36

Dave - having seen the kit being installed, I can only say that you were a brave man to try this yourself with just the bare M50 manifold !

I can honestly say that I wouldn't have had the skill required to relocate all the sensors etc. In that respect, the kit from Alpina527 really shines: it really is "plug and play" - but the work still takes 3hrs to do.

Earlier in this thread, the MAF gauze was mentioned: I can confirm that mine has now been removed, along with a large part of the airbox snorkel mouth which was restricting flow a bit.

HF

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2004 at 10:56

Do you rekon the gauze makes that much difference? The plastic hatching I would leave as this is supposed to smooth the airflow thru the MAF.

It was a bit of a pain installing the manifold, it looks quite bare and simple until you remove the manifold and reveal all the brackets and pipes etc . Did seriously think of stopping and asking Ian to prep my manifold to bolt straight on!!

Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2004 at 11:04

Dave - I can't say whether the gauze itself makes any difference - but I was happy enough to take Alpina527's advice and leave it out. Any debris would have to get past my panel filter first before it gets that far.

The other part you mention, the plastic hatching inside the MAF housing (or the "big black gunsight", as I call it) - has remained: I was told this helps to direct/smooth the airflow.

I'm no expert, but I trust Alpina527's judgement - after all he has done exactly the same on his own 5 series and it's been running fine like that for 2+ years.

HF :)

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2004 at 04:06
While I don't think removing the guaze will do any harm while the airfilter is in place, I also don't see how it will provide any benefit. Compared to the airfilter it will cause a negligible restriciton to the airflow since it is relatively co****. In fact I would even go as far as saying that I doubt it causes any restriction at all.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
alpina527 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2004 at 14:24
There is no benefit before the manifold is fitted, but after the full kit is fitted, there is definitely more power with the gauze removed.
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2004 at 11:33

Originally posted by alpina527 alpina527 wrote:

There is no benefit before the manifold is fitted, but after the full kit is fitted, there is definitely more power with the gauze removed.

Now I know what to do at the weekend!!

After I've fitted my X-Brace!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic