Forum Lockedhelp with removing headlining

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with removing headlining
    Posted: 01-April-2004 at 09:20
Hi chaps,

My Evo2 was delivered finally yesterday after a long delay getting the front spoiler. Premier Bodyshops in Luton have done a fantastic job and I will recommend them to anyone.

Anyway, when new the car had the radio aerial in the front wing, which wasn't my preference. So as it needed a new wing I said not to put it back. Not too keen on a roof aerial either so I have bought an internal aerial that sticks to the inside top of the windscreen.

I now have to wire it in.

Question is how do I remove the headlining at the front to hide the wire behind as it will run across the headlining then down the A pillar?

Cheers

Kevin
Sponsored Links

Tubbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 11:01
Hi Kevin,

If it's anything like my car you shouldn't need to remove the headlining, provided you run the cable from the windscreen down (as opposed to the headunit up).

Pop the plastic trim off the right hand A pillar (you'll need to pop the door seal off the A pillar b4 you do this - don't totally remove the door seal as it's a pig to get back in), this should expose a gap in the end of the plastic trim panel above your head that holds the check control and sun visors. Now look for the handy rubber grommet in the centre of the headline trim panel (on the windscreen side of the panel next to the rear view mirror). You should be able to feed your cable in here and along the panel to the gap at the far right hand side. Now run the cable down the A pillar, feed it through the back of the glovebox and into your Headunit, refit the A pillar trim and door seal + anything you've had to take apart in the golvebox (perhaps the ECU trim? Depends how neat you want to be). That should be job done.

If this doesn't work, unscrew the sun visors and the plastic headline trim panel should just drop down. If you don't have a plastic headline trim panel..... I’ve no idea, but at least I've got to practise my typing skills
Ex M Power owner :(
mysteron35 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Kings Lynn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 11:25

Hi Kevin ,

If you do have to disturb the headlining and damage it in any way then I have a spare your welcome to.

Its in my written off 89 M3 that I'm stripping slowly , I'm keeping most of the car but things like that I wont need , so just shout if you want it free of charge

Regards Steve .

M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 13:17
Cheers fellas for the help,

I hope the grommet is big enough for the end of the aerial lead to pass through. I'll give it a go.

Tubbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 14:24
That's what I meant by starting top down, if you were to attach the aerial to the screen you just neeed to feed the aerial lead through the grommet and down to the HU, no need to feed the aerial through it then. If you've started the other way round it shouldn't matter too much; the grommet is pretty large + it slides out of the plastic headlining pretty easily. Let us know how you get on
Ex M Power owner :(
steve1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 18:14

steve, are you getting rid of the covers on the c- pillars, the ones by the side of the rear window, mine are black and have curled up due to the italian sunshine.

Thanx, steve.

1990 black sport evo- Now Sold
1988 325i touring ( written off )            
2002 ZM Coupe, hamann styling
328i touring ( '95 )
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Kings Lynn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 18:28

Hi Steve ,

My car came with one damaged so I've only one good one (nearside I think) will check for you tonight .

If its any good your welcome to it .

Did you get your Evo from Wayne Howlet ? if so I know your car ! I parked next to it a few times in his local , there's a few M3's here in Kings Lynn .

Anyway I'll check what side I have and let you know .

Regards Steve .  

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 18:31
Originally posted by mysteron35 mysteron35 wrote:

there's a few M3's here in Kings Lynn.
Now why does that not surprise me.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
steve1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 18:39

steve, yes I did, needed a bit of work, but the price was right.

Thanx, steve.

1990 black sport evo- Now Sold
1988 325i touring ( written off )            
2002 ZM Coupe, hamann styling
328i touring ( '95 )
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Kings Lynn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 07:48

Hi Steve ,

Had a look and I've a good O/S trim but as I said the other side has suffered the same as yours , If you'd like the good one let me know and I'll get it in the post to you .

Yes for a small place there's a lot of E30 M3's here and having German cars of Kings Lynn here is nice ! . Also have Rossiters and Sorrensons on my doorstep and there all very helpfull and know these cars inside out ,

My car was a 89 2.3 , 123 km from germany and had good history and chains done  (before I got it) and was always looked after by Wayne  , it was in lovely condition with sport evo 16 inch wheels and evo 2 front spoiler , all the drivetrain rebuilt etc .

It was hit from behind before Xmas so am about to look for another now , so I have a whole spare car and a badly damaged shell ! .

One thing to note was that in the accident both front seat frames collapsed ! so always worth checking that they are secure .

Regards Steve .      

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic