Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede36 m3 - HELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: e36 m3 - HELP!!!
    Posted: 02-April-2004 at 11:03
 i have a 95 3.0 m3 with 55k on the clock, but I've noticed that between 2 - 3k rpm there is a hesitation.

Well, there was a hesitation, it has now become an all out stutter.  The car just has no power (almost like it wants to backfire and clear the problem). Up above 3k it flies, but the problem is getting worse.

usual stuff from main agents, no help whatsoever, even to the point of taking them on a test drive and they still think its ok.

I've heard about problems with the vanos, but these seem to be on the evo.  Anyone out there who can help, advise,etc would be great as its really starting to get on my ****.  HELP!!

Sponsored Links

Brett_M5 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 11:28
This seems to be a common problem with the 3L. Mine does it and a few others on here do it as well, like you say just between 2-3k. I don't think mine has got any worse since I've owned it though, but that might be due to the fact that I changed from normal unleaded (95 ron) to Optimax (98 ron) about 6 months ago. Does yours do it every time or is it intermittent? Mine only does it every now and again (I'd estimate about 25% of the time) but regardless of whether it's a hot or cold engine. I'd love to get it sorted as it's very annoying.
Anyone?
1999 E39 M5
1995 E36 M3 - Sold
biffa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 11:35

Brett - thanks.

I have always run the car on at least super, and more recently optimax.  The car was doing it mainly when cold, and normally only in second or third, but for the past month or so its been hot or cold, and any gear.  i have found that if I accelerate hard through the rev band its not as bad, but if I come through it slowly, its like a diesel!

Its just ahd a major service, so its not the plugs.

Brett_M5 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 11:45
Your problem sound exactly the same as mine (the second and third gear bit and the accelerating hard bit). but mine definately hasn't got any worse (not yet anyway). How long has it been doing it (or how long have you had the car if it's always done it). I've had mine nearly 2 years now and it's never got any worse, that's why I've never really done anything about it.
Brett
1999 E39 M5
1995 E36 M3 - Sold
biffa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 12:04

I've had the car about 18 months, and it has done it on and off since then, but its really bad at the moment.  For the first time since I've had it, the problem occurred in fifth the other day.

I was thinking baout getting the chip remapped to see if that would smooth it out, but I'm worried that without knowing what the problem actually is, it might make it worse.

Brett_M5 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 12:18
Have you had your coils checked? If you can get hold of one you can try replacing them one by one.
1999 E39 M5
1995 E36 M3 - Sold
M3 Evo View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
///MPower

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 13:08
I would also run some injector cleaner through it. As this is a cheap option to see if it sorts it out.

Tristan
Brett_M5 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 13:39
Originally posted by M3 Evo M3 Evo wrote:

I would also run some injector cleaner through it. As this is a cheap option to see if it sorts it out.

Tristan

Tristan

Where can I get some from?

Brett
1999 E39 M5
1995 E36 M3 - Sold
biffa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 13:42

Tristan

Tried that a couple of times already, but no improvement.  Thanks anyway.  with my luck, it isn't going to be a cheap solution!!  Assuming it can be solved that is.

Brett

Might try that, but I've also heard that the throttle position sensor can cause prolems with flat spots, but who knows!  Its funny that in all the stuff I read about them before I bought it, none of them mentioned anything about this problem.  Dam!

Edited to remove objectionable language, please read the forum guidelines

Edited by Nigel
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 18:03
I had exactly the same for ages, checked coils, and replaced each one, one at a time with a spare, sparkplugs, throttle pentiometer etc etc.

I finally had my Inspection 2 done, I collected car yesterday, Ł807 lighter!!! I told them about the problem, they checked the VANOS for me, (charged me for that aswell!!) turned out that the computer ECU or whatever it is had a fault because somebody had maybe driven the car hard while it was still cold, they say that they cleared the fault, and to my surprised it is now much better.

It still feels a little lumpy in the very low revs, but doesn't feel like its gonna backfire anymore!!!!

This is an explanation that I have not before seen on here before, maybe it could be the answer to the problem that seems so common.

Hope this helps,

Wilson
andym3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 19:52
mine does it aswell more so wen it's cold in all gears but wen its warmed up it still does it slightly if u accelerate slowly but if i put the foot down she goes like a dream,
Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 21:49
Guys

Mine only does this occasionally and I don't think its the throttle potentiometer-mine was changed as part of the 2nd insp 2 and it still does it.

Mono's just had his coils and ECU changed and it still showed up on his rolling road session.

John
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 22:52

Yep Mine Does it....

On mine I have had New O2 sensors, New Coils, Plugs, Valves adjusted, 3 lots of injector cleaner.....I had a new ECU as it had no output to 1 of the O2 sensors but I aint gonna go there as thats another story!

I use mine everyday....it is a nightmare car as an everyday motor....it is getting more liveable now the weather is warming up cos the engine runs a bit better as it warms up quicker. But when it was 0C-4C it would sit on tickover and splutter dropping cylinders....LOL it would even make the car shake it's booty. Bit embarrassing on the type of car it is. The only way to drive the M3 is to drive it flat out all the time.....problem is I cant do that as the traffic round my way wont allow it....I end up listening to me tunes whilst stuck in traffic.

I had my motor put on the dyno this week and the dip showed up on the dyno....happens when you hit 2200-2500rpm then it clears itself and is fine up to the readline. This is on the Evo that came with me but his was slightly worse. Unfortunately I dont have a scanner so I cant put mine up but you get the idea.Top curve is torque and the bottom line is power

You can also check out the thread cos I mention it in there.

http://www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6673&PN=1

MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 22:59

I forgot to mention.......I have heard that the reason why we get the dip on the power at 2200-2500rpm is for the emissions.....they lean it right off so it is on the limit and as the car gets older it gets worse that why we get the annoying flat spot!  dunno if it is true??? As a lot of mechanics talk ****e!

A chip might cure it.....well its gotta help....IMO it needs more fuel especially when its running cold as it feels to me like its not getting enough fuel that why it feels wooley until it has warmed up a bit.

The best bit for me is I have a massive hill right where I work....I end up with Golf GTI company motors right in me boot cos I have to struggle up the hill like a 1.0L Nova! LOL

I need a sign in the back window "BACK OFF MOFO MY CAR HAS TO WARM UP! THEN I WILL KICK YOUR ASS MOFO!"

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 23:07
Mono

You need that on a electric rear blind so that once you are warmed up you can roll it down.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 23:17

Originally posted by kevin kevin wrote:

Mono

You need that on a electric rear blind so that once you are warmed up you can roll it down.

Yeah I thought about that......sorry to be sarcastic.....but if it was electric then it would probably keep packing up all the time as BMW electrics dont seem to be the best.....LOL  

hehehe the thing that is gettin on my **** is doing the window up.....it keeps going back down!! it is a common fault.....okay add that to the list of things to go wrong!!

Its a love/ hate relationship with my car!

andym3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2004 at 11:54
jus had a look at the graph again from the rollers the other day again there an there is the exact same dip in torque as the graph above, mine not an evo but jus the 3.0, wot the **** like, would put the graph up but don't no how,
MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2004 at 22:03

Originally posted by andym3 andym3 wrote:

jus had a look at the graph again from the rollers the other day again there an there is the exact same dip in torque as the graph above, mine not an evo but jus the 3.0, wot the **** like, would put the graph up but don't no how,

Andy,

Dude, my graph is similar to the evo but it has less of a dip at the 2200rpm mark and has more power from 4000rpm upwards?? but mine has the decat and ACS rear box.

It is a pain as it makes the car annoying to drive sometimes....I wonder what the cheapest, best fix is to sort it out??

andym3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2004 at 22:35

mine drops the same as the evo if not more, but mine seems 2 b making more torque than it, but surely the evo should have more, it sits an idles not a problem don't matter how cold it is in the morning's not a problem there, its jus that annoying flat spot wen u drive easy, but wen u drive it hard u never notice it, mine has a magnex backbox an a k&n airfilter. wish i new wot u could do bout it, its jus a joke the way they all do it but no1, including bm don't no how 2 fix it,

biffa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2004 at 08:40

Might be right about the running lean thing.  I had the airflow sensor disconnected (simply unscrew the plug on the box on the rhs of the engine).  It richens everything up and now the problem is virtually gone.  I actually have power below 2500 rpm!!!!!

Anyone else with the problem want to try it and let me know what its like.  Don't know what its going to do to the fuel consumption though, but who cares!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic