FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSouth Wales meet, May 16th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: South Wales meet, May 16th
    Posted: 08-April-2004 at 19:27
I'm organising a little informal drive and pub lunch for the above date. The plan as it stands at the moment is to meet in Merthyr Tydfil at 11.00am, then head north to Brecon on the A470 and then east towards Abergavenny on the A40 to finish in a pub for lunch. The drive is approx 40-50 miles and there will be an opportunity for photos along the route if requested. This is only a provisional plan at the moment and will be confirmed shortly, but rest assured we will be doing something on that day!!!So far there's a few of us local lads and some guys from the Midlands so the more the merrier!!!

Edited by 325SME

Retro is the way forward.....
Sponsored Links

Simon325i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2004 at 21:29
Hello boyo, let's hope we get this going!
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2004 at 21:46
 It will be a great Drive-Out, may need more parking spaces !!!!!!.Thanks for the Post.
SAFETYFAST
325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2004 at 22:17
No probs John, thought it was about time I posted it!! I've still yet to do my recce run, that why I made the provisional plan comment, and its the first time I've organised something like this so don't go expecting anything fancy!!

cuk325sport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2004 at 09:40
im coming steve. i want fancy & if the weather no good ill blame you.
cuk325sport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2004 at 09:46
it will be a success if you organise it bud, i think there will be a really good turnout aswell mate
325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2004 at 19:39
Latest on the South Wales meet guys,

Meeting point is Asda's car park, Dowlais top, Merthyr Tydfil between 10.30 to 11.00 am. Then down the A465 to Hirwaun roundabout and onto the A4059, a superb driving road but watch out for the sheep! (I'm not joking either!). We then join the A470 and head towards Brecon and on to the A40 bypassing Brecon, unless anybody wants to fdrive through Brecon posing that is. I've been told of a suitable tavern towards the end of the route that has quite a large car park, so I will be investigating this shortly.

Will keep you all posted as details are finalised

Any probs/queries feel free to give me a call on 07815 965608 or 01685 370898 after 6pm, or e-mail me on steveestebanez@hotmail.com

Cheers
Steve

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2004 at 09:37
    Great News Steve, Thankyou.Can you have a word with the sheep to chew somewhere else for an hour.Do you have to book tables in pub, on weekends?
SAFETYFAST
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2004 at 10:37

Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

Great News Steve, Thankyou.Can you have a word with the sheep to chew somewhere else for an hour.Do you have to book tables in pub, on weekends?

You coming along then to support the first welsh meet!?

We have about ten cars so far from the E30zone

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2004 at 10:53

Looking forward to this now, about time we had a meet here in Wales

My car in my sig pic below

Edited by Simon325i sport
325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2004 at 12:00
John, I don't know about booking tables as I haven't got any numbers to work with. As Simon said there's approx 10 coming from the E30zone but I haven't got any numbers from the club. Somebody in work has recommended a pub towards the end of the route that has quite a large car park, so Simon and I should be doing a recce run of the route in the next week or so to check the pub out. As this is the first time I've organised something like this it may fall down in one or two aspects, for which I will apologise for in advance, but it should give us a good basis for future South Wales meets. I'd also more than welcome any input from anybody who's done this kind of thing before.

Cheers
Steve

PS any chance of a roll call from interested club members?

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2004 at 14:49

Steve, whatever you do will be just great, and nothing will fall down, its 100% better than now , which is Zero!!!! I was asking about booking a table, only because in some places sundays are busy for Lunches, and they keep tables reserved, if its Bar buffet its no problem.

This is how most sections get started, from this comes some idea,s of what interests would be supported in the future.Chance for a drive out with a reason, at the end of it. Also it gives an opportunity to meet someone , who may be only a short drive away from the others.Just right for the next meet.

SAFETYFAST
325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2004 at 20:01
Ok people, just did my recce run of the route today, and if the weather on May 16th is as good as it was today then it should be a good run. I've wittled the choices of pub down to three, two of which are along the second half of the main route with the third on a road that runs parallel on the other side of the valley. I haven't tried any of them yet so at least thats leaves a little mystery to the run!! I'll be posting the finalised details of the day shortly with directions to get to the meeting point for those who aren't familiar with the area, which may be virtually everybody!!!

Cheers
Steve

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2004 at 11:42
 Steve , sounds like THE magical Mystery Tour, will be great chance to meet and sort out some future events.
SAFETYFAST
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 22:19

OK guys me and Stephen checked the route out again today lovely weather again (please be the same on 16th!), and we actually tried out the pub today!!

Plenty of room to park, right next to a canal, and within the brecon beacon/black mountains.

325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 21:05
Ok fellow BMWaholics, these are the final details for the forthcoming Welsh meet!

Meeting point is Asda's car park, just off the A465 at Dowlais top, Merthyr Tydfil between 10.30 to 11.00 am (Please see below for directions from the M5 or M4 as appropriate). Then down the A465 to Hirwaun roundabout and onto the A4059, a superb driving road. We then join the A470 and head towards Brecon and then bypassing Brecon onto the A40 towards Abergavenny. Our chosen pub is The Coach and Horses at Llangynidir , a nice little country tavern next to a canal, which we should get to about 12.00pm.

Directions to the meeting point as follows

Those coming from the Midlands, Worcester etc

Leave the M5 at junction 8 and head west on the M50 to Ross-on-Wye and on to the A40. Follow the A40 past Monmouth and through the tunnels and in a few miles you will come to services. Leave at the junction just after the services and head for Abergavenny on the A40. Once you get to Abergavenny take the A465 and follow all the way to Merthyr Tydfil. When you come to the roundabout at Dowlais top you will have a Texaco garage on the left and Asda’s up on the right, which is where we’ll be meeting.

Those coming from Cardiff, Bristol etc

Follow the M4 west and leave at junction 32 at Cardiff. Then follow the A470 north to Merthyr Tydfil. Go straight through the next roundabout at Abercynon staying on the A470. At the next roundabout you want the third exit heading for the A4060, this should take you over a flyover. At the next roundabout take the third exit so that B&Q is on your left, then go straight on at the next roundabout. Follow the dual carriageway all the way up around the bend and straight on at the next roundabout. Continue all the way up to Dowlais top and you will come to another roundabout and you will see Asda’s right opposite you.

Finally, can I ask that you note the following points.

1.     Sheep and horses roam freely near some of the roads that we will be using so please exercise caution. I know all to well from bitter experience the damage livestock can cause to a car, ask me about it on the day!
2.     These roads are popular with bikers, so can I please ask everybody to be extra observant.
3.     I noticed that on the last two occasions I’ve travelled on the A470 there have been speed camera vans so can I please ask that we all be sensible.
4.     There is a very narrow bridge on the way to the pub, a maximum width of seven feet. If anybody believes this may be a problem I will happily adjust the route to accomodate.

Any probs/queries feel free to give me a call on 07815 965608 or 01685 370898 after 6pm, or e-mail me on steveestebanez@hotmail.com

Cheers
Steve

Edited by 325SME

Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 21:39
Watch out for Camera vans on the A40 , know few people caught on run from Monmouth to Usk,
Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 21:45

Well Done that 325SME, Steve and Simon, Guys -What can we say---Thankyou for All the Info, and the time you have spent on this meeting.PLEASE !!!! pay attention to steve,s advice on the Animals, this is Their country and way of Life, we are just a visitor in this country, + you will not believe the damage a sheep can do to the front-side of your P/Joy.!!!!!!! It will help Steve, if you say that you will be there, Support all the effort steve and our Welsh friends are doing for this event, No excuses!!!! See you there.

Edited by B 7 VP
SAFETYFAST
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2004 at 06:33

I will be there Steve!

Let's hope the weather is as good as it was on Monday when we did the run!

The pic below was taken on Monday in the pub car park, the ugly one siiting on the car is Steve!

325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2004 at 20:36
And the sport with the god awful Hartge alloys belongs to Simon!!!! lol

Edited by 325SME

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic