Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scamera , s-THE End £££
    Posted: 14-May-2004 at 14:33

So, Anyone seen the Answer to ALL your complaints-- THE Highways Dept NEW Movers & Shakers.In their Yellow 4 x 4s .They are going to keep the traffic flowing on the roads, clear accidents on the M/Ways and sort out the agro, so its all sweetness and light.The 127000 Police that we all paid for,  to increase presence, will now concentrate fully on that mountain of paperwork, the Govt and civil service want for their daily Liestats.

Spokey, after driving in a Real world, and making Progress in the  trans European network, the Gloom starts as one boards, on the good side to return to the Nightmare, WHY do we accept it???? other Countries Dont.

SAFETYFAST
Sponsored Links

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2004 at 12:09
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Spokey, once again I find myself agreeing with your rantings.

Thanks. I think.
Ciao,
Spokey

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2004 at 10:07

Get the ferry over here and see poor driving. At least your police penalise bad driving!

I think many HGV drivers are quite good and courteous here. It is all the other muppets out there that are the problem. However, our situation won't change as we currently ahve an excellent driver training scheme which allows you to get your provisional licence, drive around un-accompanied (because law is not enforced).
When you take your test & fail it, you can drive home on your own!

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2004 at 09:56

Spokey, once again I find myself agreeing with your rantings.

If this country still had a decent rail network then more goods could be transported by train, reducing the number of HGVs on the roads.

How about this for a way of reducing congesgion and removing the idiots who can't drive very well. Make the driving test a lot harder. You only have to watch a program like 'Britains worst driver' to appreciate how flawed the current system is for making sure people can opearate a car safely before they are allowed on the road.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2004 at 23:20
I would like to make a proposal. First, let me start off by asking if anyone knows what their average speed on any given journey is? Bet you it's a lot less than you'd like.

I don't know about you, but if I could average 65MPH or even 60MPH on any given journey, I'd be so happy that I might even think scameras were a good idea.

Now, I just drove in France, from Calais to Montpellier, and I averaged pretty much the national speed limit, even though I had my cruise control set to the national speed limit. Apart from the lack of traffic, the one thing that stands out when I drive on the continent is that HGVs are not allowed to overtake on many roads, and when they do overtake, they don't ffffffff...anny about like they do here.

Coming back, I got through the tunnel from France in a delighted state, yet by the time I got to the A13, I was already in the mood to strangle a dozen HGV drivers. The queues they cause by "overtaking" can easily cause tailbacks and stacking of traffic for miles, even on a three lane motorway. It was even better coming up the M11, where a queue of HGVs decided to overtake another queue of HGVs. For about 15 miles. On the two-lane section.

The same thing happens on the A14 on a daily basis: Headrush Harry decides that since he's doing 56.1MPH to overtake his mate doing 55.9 MPH. Then his mate decides to speed up. Eventually, Headrush Harry gives up and pulls in behind his mate again, after jerking off a queue of cars that can easily stretch for miles. Or (and I swear I've seen this happen more than once) HGV A overtakes HGV B and as soon as he slips back into the slow lane, HGV B overtakes A again.

It's speed up and slow down, speed up, slow down, no-one is driving smoothly, everyone gets frustrated (well, I know I do) it's not nice for anyone.

Fortunately, there is a very simple cure for this, and since the idea has been implemented in Europe, our aspiring Holy Roman Emperor, Antonius Toothius Blairius the First, may actually accept that it's a good one: ban HGVs from overtaking on some, many or all stretches of road, either on a time basis (say, from 06:30 to 09:30 and from 16:00 to 19:00) or preferably permanently.

The Germans have this idea particularly sussed, and I can vouch that it works an absolute treat. It's also used in France and Belgium very successfully.

I don't have anything against HGV drivers, everyone is entitled to a little fun. But I have noticed that my most pleasant journeys in the UK involve the least HGVs, and my most aggravating ones involve lots of them. All overtaking each other.

Write your MP and suggest it. Or tell me what is wrong with the idea.
Ciao,
Spokey

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2004 at 19:26

- personally I can't understand why we don't have variable weather/visibility dependent motorway speed limits- they seem to work OK in Germany.

-highly visible Gatsos I don't have a big problem with, provided they are not too numerous in number, and genuinely placed at accident blackspots. If it was visible well ahead, and you didn't see it, you probably weren't paying attention. Ones that are well hidden are just dangerous; who hasn't instinctively braked for one, only to find that a) there was no need, and b) you nearly caused a pile-up behind you??

-as a concerned road user (I drive, cycle, and I'm a biker too) I am amazed at the nonchalance with which so many people hurl a ton or two of steel around, chatting to their passengers, eating a sandwich, talking on the phone, reading books, newspapers, or even watching 'kin TV I ask you! This dozy/irresponsible behaviour has cost the lives of about one of my cycling acquaintances per year over the last ten or fifteen years, mostly in accidents where they were run down from behind by people who were simply not looking where they were going properly.

- I for one therefore do NOT approve of the BMWCC running ads for the service that allows the TV in some BMWs to be modified to allow operation when the car is in motion; even if there is the ridiculous sop of a 'for non-highway use only' cop-out clause.

-it also seems that being an 'advanced motorist' is no guarantee of safety (or honesty) either; last year another vehicle pulled out in front of me, (and note, I actually saw, too late, the guy just not looking at all before he pulled out) and the ensuing collision wrote off my car for me. Had I been on my bike I would have been seriously injured. This guy turned out to be both an advanced motorist and an advanced motorcyclist, and lied on his claim form. I shall be taking him to court in due course.

-a 100mph speed limit? No thank you. Although modern brakes are fantastic, modern drivers are probably worse if anything. Plus it takes about twice the distance to stop from 100mph as it does from 70mph, and we still seem to have plenty of accidents at that speed...

-I think it is probably prudent to note that I gather the guy who developed the seatbelt (or it may have been the airbag) ended up being a bit depressed; although he did save a lot of lives, by and large people felt safer, so just drove faster, and had bigger, more dangerous accidents instead. He ended up by concluding that the biggest single safety feature in a car would be a big metal spike sticking out the steering wheel....

-don't get me wrong, I will stick my clog down too, now and then; but there is a time and a place for everything, and frankly circumstances on the UK's narrow and crowded roads don't often match up.

-drive safe....

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 23:19
[courtesy of Nigel]
The new Gatso Policy (~350Kb)
1997 E39 523i
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 23:48

Thats not political John, just shows up our two tier judicial system.

Have a look at the advanced motoring thread youve been on before, with reference to Stephen Perrys post ( I only hope he still wants to sit the test, and I can help him ).

What I find interesting, especially with Stephens post as a reference, is how Brunstromes daughter got off just because the cps decided the newspaper man hadnt been trained to use a radar gun !!

My labrador "teddy" could use a radar gun.

One rule for them, another for us, and I speak as an "ex".

Its getting worse and worse, I too find myself wondering when the revolt will be.

Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 23:17

Sorry about this, Moderators!!!!!!!! Hope you Do NOT consider this to be Political, in any way.

You--the motorist who has to drive for a living, would have been Banned, for the 104 MPH that the Ast Chief Cons of the Manchester Traffic Dept , Steve Thomas did on the M6 Toll motorway(who said NO police are on this M/Way)He considered his driving to be in "safety conditions."YOU-- would have been banned.Maybe loss of Job, so no mortgage paid, so Muito Probs, BUT- for steve thomas, £450 & 6 Points Zilchhhhhhhhhh.NO protests from the Safety partnerships, BRAKE, Transport slime 2000, Transport dept secretary(And who is the chosen One this Week??) It does make one think about the 32 MILLION taxpayer Motorists who can stand Up, when the time is --Soon.

SAFETYFAST
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 22:36
Judging by the photo, he's even starting to look like a camera...
Ciao,
Spokey

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 21:24

with regard to speed limits and exceeding them
read this - tsk tsk tsk

[the bit I like best was:- "I considered that my manner of driving was safe."]

1997 E39 523i
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2004 at 12:35

Backtracking on some thing said about changing speed limits, without a new notice of change.First Every council Must advise by Law in the Local press, of intention to amend, and invites comments or objections.If you see a notice, you can find out the reason why and in some examples, NO logic is used whatsoever.Its a quickie partnership ploy, to get lower limits spread out from both directions, meeting in the middle.

If you belonged to the Association Of British Drivers, lots of good advice on the way the authorities plan & carry out their battles against the motorist.As the public is so busy with trying to earn a living and survive, its no wonder that the adverts in local press get missed, Its just what is counted on-no hassle or fuss, job done.

If in the example given of No signs showing the 40mph limit, had been changed to 30mph.The Law had been broken by the authority, and or Police and one of the good Driver Lawyers on the Forums, would have had a field day in court against them.Many regulations & laws used to prosecute motorists are not worded correctly, or legal for that purpose.If you brought the Highways Signage Book-WH Smith, and checked them against whats really on the road Signs, and used to prosecute drivers, you might think again, if you receive a notice of Intended prosecution.

SAFETYFAST
ConeKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2004 at 22:39

police, as opposed to usually civillian camera crews...

Speed limits are such hard and fast rules (so to speak). One of my scariest moments was being passengerd by me ex-girlfriend in a 1984 Polo we'd bought. She assumed two things:

1. Because a road is derestricted, all the corners can be taken at 60 mph because that's the limit.

2. If you are being undertaken on a motorway you should speed up to prevent an offence being commited.

And that, your honour, is why I ruined my trousers. Twisted interpretations of the law are as scary as disobeying it altogether.

* share and enjoy *
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2004 at 00:58
I'm with you Matt, I'd love to see more police in general.
Best Wishes

Nigel

MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2004 at 21:20

My personal take on it is yes speeding is illegal, so yes you are right to be punished (even though we all liek going fast). It's the fact that nothing has been done to try and get us to slow down, only raid our pockets. Fixed speed cameras only catch the unaware (unless you are an idiot!) so you are free to drive local roads at a speed of your choosing so long as you slow for the camera. Mobile cameras arent much better as the locations are fixed. 

I'd be happy to see real policemen out there catching people driving very badly, stopping dodgy cars, and giving us a reason to driver slower.

MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2004 at 19:29

Nigel,

The system stinks. Uninsured drivers should be shot!

Glad to here that no one was seriously hurt. After all you can always buy a new car but it's not always so easy to fix people. Doesn't bare thinking about.

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2004 at 18:03

If the damage, and loss was so slight, then perhaps better to leave it.

My car was a total loss, and my wife and two of our three children were injured, although nothing too serious.

Even with the legal cover and the mib, the claim is still going to take up to three years.

Wonderul system isnt it ?????????

Best Wishes

Nigel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2004 at 10:07

No they didn't bother putting up any 30 signs. The 40 limit was a 1/4mile stretch of road between two 30 limits so they just took the 40 signs down. This was a couple of years ago now. Now they put up big signs saying that the limit has changed.

I do have legal cover and am I right in thinking that MIB is this fund to cover uninsured losses?

The incident with the uninsured driver was when I had my last car. In fact about a month before I got my BMW. The damage was not too bad. The guy hit me head on and pushed the bumper in and dented the crossmember behind. I popped the bumper out and it didn't look too bad. The policeman I spoke to said that the fund for uninsured losses were only really interested if the damage is a lot more severe of if people have been injured. Anyway I just traded the car in against my BMW, accepting a bit less than I would have got for it had it not been dented. The car was only worth about 1k trade in before the crash anyway so I accepted £750 for it.

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 23:38

I'm assuming from your post, that as well as removing the 40 mph signs they put up 30 mph signs ?

Also if no street lighting is present, the new 30 limit would require repeater signs, and if street lighting is there instead of repeater signs, the lamps should be 22 meters apart ( I think ).

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 23:35

I'm in the same position Peter, do you have legal cover on your insurance ?

Do you know about the MIB ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic