Edited by B 7 VP
SAFETYFAST
Sponsored Links

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2004 at 23:38
The more it changes, the more it stays the same...

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 09:55

But she would say that! The opposition always make these kind of statements and then when they get into power the conveniently forget or say that they have had to 'rethink' their ideas.

The're all as bad as each other, IMHO.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 10:05

If it is true, they would probably win on that alone !!

Amazing the strength of opinion againt this scam.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 12:12

Nigel,

There are a lot of people opposed to speed cameras but you might be supprised at how many people aren't. I have had arguments with quite a few people who think that they are an excellent idea and that we should have more of them. The problem is that the speed limits are laws and that when you are caught speeding you have broken the law.

My problem isn't with the speed cameras themselves, although I do hate them with a passion, it's with the speed limits. After all cars have moved on since they were set. 70mph is just silly on a motorway, 100 would be much more realistic and 60 roads should be increased to 70. One of my favourite driving roads has just been dropped from 60 to 50mph for no apparent reason.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 12:17
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

My problem isn't with the speed cameras themselves, it's with the speed limits. After all 70mph is just silly on a motorway, 100 would be much more realistic. One of my favourite driving roads has just been dropped from 60 to 50mph for no apparent reason.

Whilst I agree with this, you do have to factor in all the muppets out there who (for whatever reason) managed to get a licence. Can you imaging them doing the ton? What happens when you are doing the ton in the overtking lane and the muppet pulls in front of you?
Better driver education is needed before you let all the idiots run riot.

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 12:42
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

...Better driver education is needed before you let all the idiots run riot.

...which is unlikely to happen...

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 20:24

I agree better education is required. This is mainly needed for the people who have been driving for quite a few years, or indeed have never passed a mot test ( a lot of mod drivers out there, although this isnt allowed any more, it was untill the early eighties).

I just cant understand why so many speed limits are being lowered just to shut up loud mouthed villagers, most of whom move to these villages from cities.

It seems never ending, and also seems nothing can be done to stop it.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 20:34

Peter

I'm sure I'm talking to a like minded person already, you are correct, speeding is breaking the law....but...so is mugging old ladies, discarding litter, burglary, being drunk in public, etc etc etc

I'm just sick and tired of the motorist being the easy touch.

Speed cameras arent about reducing accidents, most accidents occur at junctions, most cameras are on open stretches of road.

They are just about raising money

The latest scam in my neck of the woods is to lower a speed limit that doesnt require it to be lowered, then target it with the talivan.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 21:46

Nigel,

They got my mates dad just like that. Lowered a speed limit from 40 to 30 without telling anyone. All they did was remove the 40 signs. The they set up a speed trap and nicked loads of people.

The thing is that the people they are catching these days are all older drivers. My Dad got done, My grandad got done, three of my mates dads have been caught and most of the guys at work. All these people have been done for doing just a few mph over the limit, and none were driving in a way that could be described as dangerously.

It is a real shame that they didn't put the same enthusiasm into catching the uninsured driver that drove into me. All they could say was 'theres no chance of catching him so you'll have to cover the cost yourself'

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 23:35

I'm in the same position Peter, do you have legal cover on your insurance ?

Do you know about the MIB ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 23:38

I'm assuming from your post, that as well as removing the 40 mph signs they put up 30 mph signs ?

Also if no street lighting is present, the new 30 limit would require repeater signs, and if street lighting is there instead of repeater signs, the lamps should be 22 meters apart ( I think ).

Best Wishes

Nigel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2004 at 10:07

No they didn't bother putting up any 30 signs. The 40 limit was a 1/4mile stretch of road between two 30 limits so they just took the 40 signs down. This was a couple of years ago now. Now they put up big signs saying that the limit has changed.

I do have legal cover and am I right in thinking that MIB is this fund to cover uninsured losses?

The incident with the uninsured driver was when I had my last car. In fact about a month before I got my BMW. The damage was not too bad. The guy hit me head on and pushed the bumper in and dented the crossmember behind. I popped the bumper out and it didn't look too bad. The policeman I spoke to said that the fund for uninsured losses were only really interested if the damage is a lot more severe of if people have been injured. Anyway I just traded the car in against my BMW, accepting a bit less than I would have got for it had it not been dented. The car was only worth about 1k trade in before the crash anyway so I accepted £750 for it.

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2004 at 18:03

If the damage, and loss was so slight, then perhaps better to leave it.

My car was a total loss, and my wife and two of our three children were injured, although nothing too serious.

Even with the legal cover and the mib, the claim is still going to take up to three years.

Wonderul system isnt it ?????????

Best Wishes

Nigel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2004 at 19:29

Nigel,

The system stinks. Uninsured drivers should be shot!

Glad to here that no one was seriously hurt. After all you can always buy a new car but it's not always so easy to fix people. Doesn't bare thinking about.

MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2004 at 21:20

My personal take on it is yes speeding is illegal, so yes you are right to be punished (even though we all liek going fast). It's the fact that nothing has been done to try and get us to slow down, only raid our pockets. Fixed speed cameras only catch the unaware (unless you are an idiot!) so you are free to drive local roads at a speed of your choosing so long as you slow for the camera. Mobile cameras arent much better as the locations are fixed. 

I'd be happy to see real policemen out there catching people driving very badly, stopping dodgy cars, and giving us a reason to driver slower.

MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2004 at 00:58
I'm with you Matt, I'd love to see more police in general.
Best Wishes

Nigel

ConeKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2004 at 22:39

police, as opposed to usually civillian camera crews...

Speed limits are such hard and fast rules (so to speak). One of my scariest moments was being passengerd by me ex-girlfriend in a 1984 Polo we'd bought. She assumed two things:

1. Because a road is derestricted, all the corners can be taken at 60 mph because that's the limit.

2. If you are being undertaken on a motorway you should speed up to prevent an offence being commited.

And that, your honour, is why I ruined my trousers. Twisted interpretations of the law are as scary as disobeying it altogether.

* share and enjoy *
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2004 at 12:35

Backtracking on some thing said about changing speed limits, without a new notice of change.First Every council Must advise by Law in the Local press, of intention to amend, and invites comments or objections.If you see a notice, you can find out the reason why and in some examples, NO logic is used whatsoever.Its a quickie partnership ploy, to get lower limits spread out from both directions, meeting in the middle.

If you belonged to the Association Of British Drivers, lots of good advice on the way the authorities plan & carry out their battles against the motorist.As the public is so busy with trying to earn a living and survive, its no wonder that the adverts in local press get missed, Its just what is counted on-no hassle or fuss, job done.

If in the example given of No signs showing the 40mph limit, had been changed to 30mph.The Law had been broken by the authority, and or Police and one of the good Driver Lawyers on the Forums, would have had a field day in court against them.Many regulations & laws used to prosecute motorists are not worded correctly, or legal for that purpose.If you brought the Highways Signage Book-WH Smith, and checked them against whats really on the road Signs, and used to prosecute drivers, you might think again, if you receive a notice of Intended prosecution.

SAFETYFAST
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 21:24

with regard to speed limits and exceeding them
read this - tsk tsk tsk

[the bit I like best was:- "I considered that my manner of driving was safe."]

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i