Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRelays- info required

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relays- info required
    Posted: 21-April-2004 at 21:22

Hi all you 635 fans, can anyone help?

I have a 1983 635 Auto and i am trying to make the headlamp wipers work ( oh no not another one! ). The relays listed in the owners handbook tell me K10 does the ' wipe-wash,headlight cleaning & intensive windshield cleaning system'. The screen part is fine but no lamp wash or wipe! There is relay K9 but no function is listed. There are also two more relays outside the box cover, what are these for? That will get you scratching you brains as I have been!

On a lighter note I had my first snoop around the new six today ( they take a long time to get to Norfolk! ). The first thing that struck me is how tall they are, must be the 19 inch rollers! I couldn't spot any lamp wipers so us oldie's have that , opening rear windows and more legroom in the back on the new model! It is, I must admit, very very tasty, especially in Black, but I am sure ther is a posher name for the colour!

Just in case our very senior member Sohlman reads this, any more news on a mini Sharkfest?

Cheers all Delboy...

Sponsored Links

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2004 at 21:49

The two relays in front of the fuse box are the DMe relay and the Fuel pump relay. As for the washer relays i have no idea.

As for sharkfest Uk's i have spoken with Howard and i have provisionaly organised three Sharknose events with two other events that i think us sharks can go to. As for the big event i am a little behind on that one, but you have to start slowly.  

I will post details and directions for the three events shortly and Howard will be placing information in the club magasines at the next issue.

James

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2004 at 21:57
Originally posted by Derek Thurston Derek Thurston wrote:

Hi all you 635 fans, can anyone help?

I have a 1983 635 Auto and i am trying to make the headlamp wipers work ( oh no not another one! ). The relays listed in the owners handbook tell me K10 does the ' wipe-wash,headlight cleaning & intensive windshield cleaning system'. The screen part is fine but no lamp wash or wipe! There is relay K9 but no function is listed. There are also two more relays outside the box cover, what are these for? That will get you scratching you brains as I have been!

Ah... another 1983 owner crawls out of the woodwork....

Right, Derek, if you fancy lifting the bonnet and then going to the offside of the engine bay, you should find the windscreen washer bottle (the large one) below you. Lift that out. This will give you a clearer view of the inner wing and the black plastic protector panel behind the offside headlights. Remove this panel.

Assuming you can perform bodily contortions, and don't mind the odd squint now and then, you should now be able to see the area behind the front offside indicator. I am told that the relay for the headlamp wash/wipe lives in this general area. If so, I have yet to find mine, which has never worked since the car was acquired in 1996.... The relay fails due to the conditions in which it has to live and perform. Do let me know how much BMW stings you for a replacement! Or if not, ask Andy Howlett at Motormec (01502) 500590 for a more reasonable quote - tell him Ivan (foremost amongst the 6-Series foo.. er.. enthusiasts) sent you.

On a lighter note I had my first snoop around the new six today ( they take a long time to get to Norfolk! ). The first thing that struck me is how tall they are, must be the 19 inch rollers! I couldn't spot any lamp wipers so us oldie's have that , opening rear windows and more legroom in the back on the new model! It is, I must admit, very very tasty, especially in Black, but I am sure ther is a posher name for the colour!

There are TWO names, as follows:

668 Black (non-metallic)

or you can have

475 Sapphire Black (metallic)

Pop down to your nearest dealer again, and pick up the 6-Series coupe and convertible brochures.... then start drooling. Again.

Just in case our very senior member Sohlman reads this, any more news on a mini Sharkfest?

James has replied, so I'll add my two Euros' worth. If you can't wait for Sharkfest, you may be interested in a little e-mail which has gone round the "Sharknose Group", as follows:

"Hello all!

Well its spring! so its time to get those BMW's out of the garage and back onto the roads for the first meeting of 2004!.

The first Southern Area Coupe Register meeting this year will be held on Sunday 25th April, (starting at midday) at the Squirrel Inn at Hurtmore (details below).

The Squirrel at Hurtmore, Hurtmore Road, Hurtmore, Godalming, Surrey GU7 2RN. Telephone Number 01483 860223

Unfortunately, this will be the last meeting that I will be arranging as the Southern Area Representative for the Register due to increasing work commitments. I have already spoken to a few of you about stepping in as my replacement to ensure that the meetings keep going through 2004.

I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on Sunday, and fingers crossed the weather will be good to us.

Could you please let me know if you will be attending, or send me your apologies.

Regards

Adrian Pratt
"

So why not spare a little time, and join us?

You can find the location map of "The Squirrel" by clicking HERE

Edited by Horsetan

Derek Thurston View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2004 at 23:04

Thanks James and Ivan for your info!

Spent today with the lamps out and established ( with independant power supply ) that both wiper motors and washer pump work, hooray! Found the other magic box lurking behind o/s/f flasher, cleaned all the connections and the earthing cable still no go! Got a price from Lind ---£48!!! A bit pricey if not certain thats the problem part! I shall delve a bit deeper into the wiring in case there is a break, I might even take the magic box apart! The real swearing began getting the nuts off to remove said flasher assy, they were solid, had to cut them off and fit new bolts and nuts!

Cheers again, Delboy 

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2004 at 23:18

...Found the other magic box lurking behind o/s/f flasher, cleaned all the connections and the earthing cable still no go! Got a price from Lind ---£48!!!

HOW MUCH??? Actually, that's not so bad. Wait until you have to order a control transistor for the heater speed control. BMW charge £36 for a transistor you can get from Maplin for about £1.20...

...The real swearing began getting the nuts off to remove said flasher assy, they were solid, had to cut them off and fit new bolts and nuts!

This is nothing new. You cannot get at these fastenings from the front. It's all hidden from view to prevent your man Tom, Dick or Derek from getting at them on a casual basis...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic