Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big CoupĆ© Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedreg transfer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: reg transfer
    Posted: 27-April-2004 at 22:14

hi evryone just registered as i have put down a deposit on a bmw coupe 3251 with 64k on the clock absolute mint example anyway i already have a problem because the seller has a private plate on his car worth 1k which we agreed he is going to hold onto. but to revert back to its origional plates is going to take 6weeks in total for dvla to confirm the transfer and return the retention certificate to the owner and in that time the car cannot be sold to me says the owner i have called dvla to make sure i was not being taken for a ride he was absolutly corect.

does anyone know anyways of doing this in adifferent or quicker way.??

im tottaly gutted i have to wait this long  thanks

Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2004 at 23:45

I bought a plate from the dvla, it took 3 days for the paperwork to arrive, then I took the paperwork and other required documents to the local dvla office, they did the paperwork and issued me with a new tax disc, I bought plates on the way home, then fitted them.

When I changed to my present car, I took both registration documents and tax discs and mots to the local dvla office, they stamped and altered the rdg on the mots, issued new tax discs, retained the registration documents so swansea could send new ones, and assigned the original number to the first car.

Both times it was done while I waited.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2004 at 23:46
Sorry I forgot to add, welcome to the forum, and hopefully to the club.
Best Wishes

Nigel

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2004 at 08:57
Only took 9 working days for a dealer to sort my reg transfer with the DVLA...
M3 Evo View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
///MPower

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2004 at 09:26
I bought my private plate and had it on the car in under a week you just need to take all the right paper work to your local DVLA office and they will give you a new tax disc and re stamp the mot with the new plate. If you send it all off to them at swansea it will take loads longer. Hope this helps and welcome to the club.

Tristan
Floody View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2004 at 09:43

Zimmerman, Welcome.

If the owner is putting the Plate on retention and the car is reverting back

to its old Plate it should only take 7/10 days. They quote 6weeks as the max.

Mark E30 M3 RHD!!! now sold !!! still crying!!!!
E36 318 is in technoviolet, for sale
Thank's for the photo Coasting, Flood's on tour!
zimmerman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2004 at 17:54
thanks alot guys ill give the owner  another week then i will ring him  to see what the situation is, makes me feel alot better cheerz
zimmerman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2004 at 20:09

hi nigel just need to know how long did it take dvla swansea to send you your new registration documents because when i spoke to the local office they said the current owner canot sell the car until the retention certificate has arrived from swansea or he may risk loosing his private plate. thanks ever so much m8. 

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2004 at 23:52

Ah now that took weeks, but it was at the end of last december and they were changing the style of the logbook.

I owned both cars, so no one waiting for me.

If I was putting a car up for sale, I think I'd take the plate off first !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Simon E View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 13:37

I have just been through this process and must say it depends on how much you trust the person you're buying from. The plate needs to be put on retention, with a new reg number issued, but before the vendor can sell, you need to wait for the new V5 to arrive and then complete the change of ownership section and then wait for a new V5 with your address.

I trusted the chap I bought mine from so paid and drove away. We did have a formal agreement documenting the fact that there was a private plate and that he would pay for all transfer costs etc. It took a month for the revised V5 with the new reg to come through and then a further 2 weeks following sending the red slip back to get the V5 in my name.

Unfortunately, it's a 6 week inconvenience, but ultimately it comes down to trust. If you think you may get stiffed, wait for the vendor to transfer the plate...it's in their interests to get it done ASAP as no-one will buy a car while the V5 is "away"

zimmerman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2004 at 11:35
cheerz simon its been 3 weeks so far and the owner has been through local office and has had retention approved so just waiting for the new v5. I was very scepticle at first when the owner rang me a day before i was ment to pick up the car and saying it was going to take this long i though he was having cold feet about selling. but then i rang dvla just to make sure. any way cant wait for my coupe its a real gem.   
eeturner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2004 at 19:49

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I purchsed my E36 323 coupe last year and had a nightmare transfering my plate from my old car to my new bmw. I was told I had to put my plate on retention by the car salesman but he was wrong.

In fact, as long as you have at least both green strips from the bottom of both log books and both tax discs you can swap them straight over and put your plate on as soon as you get a new tax disc. This straight transfer costs about £60 if I remember rightly. There is definately no need to go through the farce of putting it on retention.

Hope you and your new motor get on ok.

Ewan.

mick_n3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2004 at 02:31

Just changed my plate, took 30 minutes at local dvla office

took both log books and did the transfer to my new car and taxed the new one, they re asigned a reg for old vehicle job done cost £80, walked out side and swopped plates over.

stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2004 at 22:45

mine was a similar story when i first got a private plate... but it took a week and a half when i changed the E36 for the E46 as the E46 and my E36 both had private plates, the 36 went back on its original number, and the 46 went from its private plate, back to its original number, then onto my plate, not my problem though, that little conundrum was for the dealer to sort out

"if all that made sense I never said it properly"  

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
 Post Reply Post Reply