Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMilltek Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2004 at 13:15
I didn't get Milltek because I thought it was cheaper, in fact judging by the price of the Scorpion to Floodys, the Milltek is more expensive.

I'm going to see how things pan out and how Milltek handle things with Pottsy's. I will also be keeping a very close eye on it as well just in case it is an inherent problem.

Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2004 at 13:21
Originally posted by 215DMX 215DMX wrote:

This is all quite intresting to read, as I was going to get one next month (still might of course) but it reminds me that Barry from ML once told me "don't bother with a stainless system on an M3 theres too much vibration and it will crack, stick with milkd steel" . . .

Interessting opinion of ML, so even BMW does it wrong because the OM exhaust is made of stainless.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2004 at 13:47
Darren, if mine only lasts for 30k miles then I will be happy as that would be about 6 years of driving. Of course I expect it to last much longer.
Kevin
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2004 at 14:02
I had my Supersprint for 3 years odd and it's been fine. The trouble with a stainless exhaust is for the most part they are made form very thin walled material. They don't need to be thick for rust protection like a decent mild steel one will be. This is why a a stainless exhuast can puncture very easily and have a slightly hollow sound where as one like the Supersprint will sound more rouned. The exhuast they make for the M3 hasn't been around for that long and it wasn't around when I bought mine.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2004 at 17:17
And not to mention the saving in price if you keep the wall thickness down..........
Generally stainless steel is much more resistant against fatigue cracks than mild steel. As long you keep the correct thickness. It also depends what quality grade of stainless is used. Does anybody know the materisl grade of the Miltek?

E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2004 at 22:30
I think there made from 304

Edited by M3Pilot
PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2004 at 14:07

My exhaust note has definitely 'Matured' as well.

The buzz/rattle you refer too, I beleive, is the internal baffles in the centre box coming apart due to the vibrations. The centre box split on top of the centre box where the welds are, so you can't see it when you look up at the exhaust from underneath.

Pikey

Old enough to know better, too young to care!
Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2004 at 14:38
Originally posted by PikeyM3 PikeyM3 wrote:

My exhaust note has definitely 'Matured' as well.

The buzz/rattle you refer too, I beleive, is the internal baffles in the centre box coming apart due to the vibrations. The centre box split on top of the centre box where the welds are, so you can't see it when you look up at the exhaust from underneath.

Pikey

Great. So I may have this to look forward to.eventually it`ll spilt wide open and spill it`s internals out before falling to the ground.

Oh well....anyone organising a Supersprint group buy ?

Sunny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2004 at 15:05
I also have a problem with my Miltek exhaust.
Had the car on a ramp yesterday and found that the center box has a small slit in it at the front edge of the center box.
It looks like the Stainless steel where the welds are for the baffles is very thin.
I must admit that I have scraped the exhaust a few times going over sleeping policemen but surely it should not fall apart like this?

Sunny
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 12:25
I was part of the group buy and have had no problems with mine so farand I use mine as a daily driver
therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 12:35
How the mighty have fallen! I have a Scorpion DTM on mine and apart from the mount for the backbox sheering with enthusiastic driving (heard this happend to all eventually??), I know of no other real problems. I know they are loud - but that's part of the appeal

So where now then?? First was the Scorpion, then came the SuperSprint then Miltek...

James
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Richard von Bat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 13:23

I have just replaced my 14 year old exhaust with an OEM after spending the last year repeatedly pulling off the original and rewelding various holes. Coughing up the best part of £1100 and now hearing these tales is making me feel alot better!  

The Miltek was an option for the price saving but I recall coming across an article (cannot remember where) stating that stainless steel is particularly  unsuitable as the engine is too harsh and will cause the more rigid nature of SS to either split or crack, the problems stated would seem to bear this out.

Uwe mentioned that the OEM was stainless steel but this is not correct and the more flexible nature of mild steel would seem to be the answer - (it is only the decorative twin pipes out the back which are ss). 

There is another factor about stainless steel exhausts that has been topical over the years, not withstanding the problems of the harshness it has been said that when a good standard system wears out that is about time for the rest to be replaced i.e. baffles full up with carbon etc. The stainless that goes on and on can cause performance loss through being internally past it.

The new CSL M3 has a lightened exhaust system fitted and must check out the spec to see if this was mild steel or stainless. 

richard
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 13:40
Originally posted by Richard von Bat Richard von Bat wrote:

I have just replaced my 14 year old exhaust with an OEM after spending the last year repeatedly pulling off the original and rewelding various holes. Coughing up the best part of £1100 and now hearing these tales is making me feel alot better!  

The Miltek was an option for the price saving but I recall coming across an article (cannot remember where) stating that stainless steel is particularly  unsuitable as the engine is too harsh and will cause the more rigid nature of SS to either split or crack, the problems stated would seem to bear this out.

Uwe mentioned that the OEM was stainless steel but this is not correct and the more flexible nature of mild steel would seem to be the answer - (it is only the decorative twin pipes out the back which are ss). 

There is another factor about stainless steel exhausts that has been topical over the years, not withstanding the problems of the harshness it has been said that when a good standard system wears out that is about time for the rest to be replaced i.e. baffles full up with carbon etc. The stainless that goes on and on can cause performance loss through being internally past it.

The new CSL M3 has a lightened exhaust system fitted and must check out the spec to see if this was mild steel or stainless. 

Are you going to remove the cats? Perhaps you would gain a bit of power ths way?
Richard von Bat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 16:53

Probably will not remove the cats. There does not seem to be much of a difference removed or otherwise, I'd say the same as one experiences in engine power between a 'hot day' and a 'wet' day.

Also with them fitted they are a little quieter - hopefully attracting less attention. Trouble is they are becoming a little common in our parts we have  3 red, 1 black Sport Evos and 1 red E30 burning up our locality! 

richard
PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 17:35

The new M3 CSL's exhaust is made out of Titanium and is actually thinner than the standard exhaust.

I thought scorpion exhausts were suppose to reduce horsepower as they have the twin system rather than the single which Milltek have?

Pikey

kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 17:45
I did notice that the engine seemed to rev much more freely with the Milltek when it replaced the Scorpion but don't have any other more objective comparision.
Kevin
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 18:54
The Scorpion one doesn`t have an X-piece like the BMW OEM one - not good. THis part is expensive,which is probably why the scrorpion one doesn`t have it - to keep the costs down. I believe the part is quite vital to power. The milltek one doesn`t have it BUT instead because it`s a single pipe system, the pipes merge into one where the X-piece should be therefore achieving the same thing.

PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 19:02

Quite right DarrenM, it's a Y peice on the Milltek.

The Scorpion is not Stainless either.

Pikey

pottsy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 22:09
Great thread guys. I'm ringing Milltek tomorrow, so will let you know what they say. the interesting biut is that those of you with problems (4 I think) have it in EXACTLY the same place as me - ie where the pipe joins the front of the miffle box. The weld on mine gave up. I dno't think I've scraped mine at all (John W, whaydyathink, any low bumps round your way? apart from fat lasses on fallen over on their way home from the Bigg Market).
Pikey - Good grief, don't start talking about titanium, my heart just stopped!
I've been down the Scorpion route and would never go there again. Supersprint - i have no experience. Milltek, I truly hope they sort it out cos I think its a lovely piece of kit. (rose tinted?)
Makes me wonder whether we should really be thinking of exhausts which are easily repackable (baffles etc I mean) like proper machines (motorbikes of course).

Anyway heres hoping, will let you know the gen tomorrow.

Kevin, Havent forgotten your lever or manual, just been away this weekend (0-0 draw, what a waste of time).

pottsy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 22:16
Von Bat??? If thats Bax then there are so many Sports around your locality cos you have half of them!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic