Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW '02 Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedElectronic ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic ignition
    Posted: 04-May-2004 at 09:49

Dear All - After reading our chairmans article in the club mag, with regard to fitting electronic ignition, I decided to go for it.  I've been thinking about it for quite a while but this tipped me over the edge.

So, I bought myself the Lumenition Optronic system from Burton Power as suggested.  This consisted of a power module (PMA50) and fitting kit (FK221), total cost £147.90 including VAT & carriage.

I fitted the system at the weekend, very straightforward to do.  Can be done easily in under an hour but I prefer to take my time over these things.

The only thing I have to say about it is - brilliant.  The car is indeed transformed.  More responsive, seemingly more power (difficult to tell without a trip to the rolling road) and better starting. I haven't left her outside overnight or in the rain for any significant period (who would unless absolutely neccessary!) so the improved starting is yet to be tested rigorously.

I'm certainly very impressed so far and would highly recommend it to anyone.

p.s. No I don't work for Lumenition!!!

Sponsored Links

Russell View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2004 at 11:34
i also fitted this kit to my 02 several years ago, with good results but heres a few words of warning: carry spare points and condenser, and loctite the screws which hold the 'eye' to the baseplate. after about 18 months mine worked loose and destroyed the 'chopper', breaking all the blades off. this left me stranded in the middle of Wales (wasn't raining though!) . I managed to get back to london by making the chopper up from paper and a bit of lockwire, ran quite well too! 8 years on the car started cutting out intermittently, and always in bad places. Put the points back in and ran fine. Now running e30 cam (same profile as 02) and distributor with factory electronic ignition, runs better than with lumenition. Good alternative if you need a new cam anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic