Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedengine swap... help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine swap... help
    Posted: 11-May-2004 at 13:39
hello, i'm new to this forum after selling my m3. I have provisionally bought an 89 highline in royal blue with grey leather for 500 notes!

The only problem is the engine appears to have died! Fella who owns it said that it was running at 2k and then made a grinding sound and stopped? strange?

Have found a replacement engine from a highline... however do i require an engine from the same year car, or would an older one say 1985-87 fit?

Also is it a difficult job to change the engine? i.e. have swapped engines before, but does anyone know if this one is particularly tough...?

Any help appreciated... also i'm after a set of front wings? Dont laugh.. please help.

Thanks
andrew
Sponsored Links

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 14:13

basically any M30 engine will swap over although the injetion system is different on the highline and would make it easier to use one of these. Also the highline engines are modified for unleaded where as the other arn't although they will run perfectly happily on unleaded without problem. If you put in an earlier engine you will actually get a little more power as the highline was 211bhp and the earlier ones were 218bhp.

As for the process i have no idea as i stay away from spanners, but i imagine its a case of unbolting the necassery bits and bobs, lifting the engine or dropping the engine out and reversing the process.

Frits bits in somerset should be able to advice you on this on 01823 669425.

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 14:15
Oh on the wings things FAB are braking a couple of sixes, but i don't know if they are any good, although richard at Frits should be able to source you these.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 14:20
Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

...If you put in an earlier engine you will actually get a little more power as the highline was 211bhp and the earlier ones were 218bhp.

Theoretical technical boob again, James! The late M30 unit with catalyst - for the German and Swedish markets at least - was indeed rated at 211 bhp. But the UK one (1988 onwards with catalyst) was rated at 220bhp...

andrewe30M3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 14:21
thanks for the advise... I look out for a highline engine.

Any advise on a garage interested in fitting and sourcing an engine would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ANdrew
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 14:28
Originally posted by andrewe30M3 andrewe30M3 wrote:

...I have provisionally bought an 89 highline in royal blue with grey leather for 500 notes!

Welcome to this happy band of fool...er, enthusiasts!

The only problem is the engine appears to have died! ... made a grinding sound and stopped?

Engine seized, or valves went out of sync... Oh dear...

Any help appreciated... also i'm after a set of front wings? Dont laugh.. please help.

For wings, you need to speak to Andy Howlett at Motormec (01502) 500590. Tell him Ivan (the original fool) sent you.... You might also find THIS PAGE useful...

Edited by Horsetan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 14:40
eeer thanks Ivan... will check out these places ASAP. Checking out the car this evening. Hopefully it wont be compelely rotten and it will be a case of new engine and a set of wings... then i'll have a nice motor to smoke about in for a while!

Where should I look for rot?

thanks
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 14:55

...Where should I look for rot?

The world's your oyster!

Outer wings, inner wings (if you're really unlucky like Ross Harris was), sills, around the bottom rear corners of the tail light clusters, wheelarches (and you've got the plastic wheelarch extensions on a "Highline", so God only knows what rust may be hiding underneath these)...

Want me to continue?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 15:11
ok, get the picture, I'll make sure I have a good old look around it.

Providing I get it sorted and source some decent wings etc... Whats a late highline worth with 106K on the clock in good nick, electric seats, air, cruise etc, in roayl blue metalic?

If i spend 2K getting it on the road what would I expect back from it? I.e. seeing if its worth doing etc?

thanks
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 16:35

ok, get the picture, I'll make sure I have a good old look around it.

...sunroof drain holes... round the sunroof opening... lower lip of bootlid...

Providing I get it sorted and source some decent wings etc... Whats a late highline worth with 106K on the clock in good nick, electric seats, air, cruise etc, in roayl blue metalic?

Not more than £3500. Might be worth a bit more if there's full service history, all bills, old MoTs, tax discs, etc.

If i spend 2K getting it on the road what would I expect back from it? I.e. seeing if its worth doing etc?

If you're willing to spend at least that, you will get your enjoyment factor in being able to waft around effortlessly. You have to be committed to something like a Six - it is not a car you should ever expect to break even on, let alone turn a profit.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 16:50
agreed i dont think profit is going to be easy on such a car, however its a two or three owner car with little use over the past few years.

If i can get it sorted for a couple of grand i can expect to get my money back if i'm lucky. Will let you know how I get on tomo.
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2004 at 08:24
Do remember that when you have got the car up to a nice condition you will pay 0 depreciation and if anything the car is liable to apreciate so you could probable justify spending a little money on it's day to day running and still be better off than buying a newer car

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2004 at 09:16
Ok, I checked it out last night.

Generally the car is in very good condition, no rust underneath or within the inner wings, however the front wings are shot to pieces, one you can put your fingers through the bottom edge and the other is very heavily bubbling.

The interior is in Mint condition, including the leather dash and consul. Everything works etc.

The engine i couldn't tell what was wrong with it, but lets assume it needs a new block.

I think I'll leave this one, it might well be a money pit, which I'm better off without.

See wjat happens, I'm waiting for some quotes on wings and engine swap etc.

Thanks for your help.
Andrew
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2004 at 10:01
Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

...if anything the car is liable to appreciate...

I think you need this to happen more than I do!

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2004 at 10:04

...The engine i couldn't tell what was wrong with it, but lets assume it needs a new block.

I've just remembered that much the same late M30 engine could be found in the following:

E32 735i (1987-on)
E34 535i (1988-on)

...so it shouldn't, in theory, be difficult to get hold of a replacement engine

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2004 at 10:59
no i agree. Have sourced a few engines from £150 - £1200!

they vary a little bit. LOL.

I think if i leave it for a few weeks, the fell might end up giving it to me... as currently he can't shift it. Watch this space, its worth doing if the car is free, put it that way!
daicos View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2004 at 08:01

Are the engine mounts on the block for the highline engine for the six series in the same spot as those from the e32 and e34?

If the mounts on the six series highline engine are in the same spot as the pre 87/88 engine for the six series , then the e32 and e34 engine may not bolt up.

I am trying to confirm this also, so if anyone knows for sure, it would be very helpful.

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2004 at 09:25

-I recall looking at my '86 spec M30 block in some detail recently, and the RHS of the block has zillions of tapped holes in it, so is clearly intended for a wide variety of different engine mountings to be bolted to it. I think you'll be OK provided you have the correct mounting for the chassis, but do check before you buy.

-dropping out the lump is no worse than on other cars of similar size, but do make sure you disconnect ALL the motronic sensors first, otherwise you'll bust something.

-if the car has an auto box, this could have failed, not the engine; there are parts in the gearbox that turn all the time with the engine, and if these fail the engine could just stop, and this is more likely to make a ghastly grinding sound than most internal engine faults (if the alternator, PAS, AC compressor or water pump seize this could make the sounds you describe too, so check these first).

In the grand scheme of things the auto box is less likely to get an oil and filter change when it should, and anyway more likely to fail than the engine, which is strong and capable of withstanding loads of abuse. Lots of people don't know (for example) that the auto box oil level should be checked with the engine hot and actually running. A static dip will leave the box well underfilled.

-if you like projects, go for it. If you are after making a few quid, I think there are probably easier ways to do it than rescuing this car. 

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2004 at 21:15
UPDATE

A very helpful acquaintance wrote to me about this thread, and I quote what he wrote:

"...tell Andrew with the dead Highline that only an E32 or E34 motor will do. Earlier engine CAN be fitted but it's too much hassle.

Reasons: Different Motronic system with just one timing pick up for both speed and TDC reference on the front pulley. Before, there were two sensors on the flywheel.

Also, block is different with different mounting pick ups. Lastly, different cylinder head with bigger ports
and trying to match a later Highline manifold to an earlier head results in the gasket blowing before long.

...the sump will need to be swapped over. The Highline engine is the E32/E34 unit but with the older E24/E28 sump pan. Got a feeling that the oil pick up needs swapping over but this is a couple of bolts and thus about 5 minutes' work.

Also, most pre Highline engines are just ancient, with cam and head dramas waiting to unfold."

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic