Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedrear suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear suspension
    Posted: 18-May-2004 at 22:28

gents,

i have a 91 325i sport. when you stand behind the car and look at the rear wheels there appears to be a camber (  /  \  )like that if you know what i mean??? i have noticed that this camber is wearing the rear tyres.

what is the cause of this ??

is it rear bushes or is it possible the car does not have standard springs on. the car doesnt appear to be lowered.

any info appreciated.

Sponsored Links

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2004 at 10:15
There is negative camber on the rear wheels and the lower the car, the more pronounced it becomes. The 325i Sport is lowered about 1/2" from stock so will have about another 1/2 degree of negative camber.

Wear in the suspension will cause knocks, wandering, etc., so in the absence of these I'd assume that you have normal camber. If you can post a link to a picture it would help. Try cornering harder to even out wear.
Blackcat View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2004 at 20:56

You can have the camber adjusted, it's pretty easy, shouldn't cost an arm and a leg...realistically it's one bolt for each wheel??? It's a nut, bolt and "cam" style washer on the early E36's, not sure about the later models though. I fiddled about with it on my car and i had the wheel pointing massively inwards just for a laugh, but then had all the alignment done properly including the camber so i'll leave it alone until something goes wrong...

Are you certain the tyres are wearing unevenly because of this camber? It may be under-inflated/over-inflated rear tyres. Could be worth having th e alignment checked, as your rear wheels may be pointing outwards (toe out), and therefore would "scrub" the inside of the tyres, and consequently they would wear out faster. I also had this before but mine were pointing inwards and wore out the outside of the tyre?

Get the alignment checked out, or do it yourself...

You'll probably get some tips from others, but a simple rule of aligning the rear wheels is to point them towards the front wheels! Not simple to explain, but use a long bit of wood, and you have to hold it flush against the rim of one of the rear wheels, whilst looking along the inside edge of the wood (the edge touching the rim) you should be able to tell if the wheel is pointing inwards, outwards, or there or there abouts...

Now this is only a quick check to do, but you could just pay £40 or so and have it done by your friendly wheel alignment chap!

Hope this helps

Edited by Blackcat
Burning rubber??? I prefer to think of it as scorching tarmac!!!
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2004 at 09:48
I guess this is an E30 so camber correction at the rear can only be done by offset trailing arm bushes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic