Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockednew powerful BMWs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Topic: new powerful BMWs?
    Posted: 20-May-2004 at 11:25
given that merc/mclaren have developed the SLR, have BMW anything up their sleeves to match?
The new M5 will only(!) kick out 500bhp which is 20% less than the SLR! The possible M7 is only 536bhp (source)!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2004 at 16:41
Apart from the "mines bigger than yours" brigade, at those power levels with a 70 mph speed limit in force in both our countries does it matter ?
Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2004 at 18:19

All about Bragging rights, isnt it????? The German Market Rules Ok.

Daimler/Cry-sler( By the Bucketful) are in Deep Trouble)(hope everyone is following) so with out of control costs to develop the next generation of supercars, that is a tiny return on the investment and lost investment in Mitsubishi of Billions of Euro,s - Mercedes B are having to have a rethink on the Future.SLR replacements are low on the list.

A Great opportunity for BMW AG, to concentrate on Tech subjects Not Grunt , for the few hundred of future CSL M4 Image cars. All will have to be paid for by the bread & butter 1-3-5-6-7 models of the real world, not the make believe one, of the magazines.Racing inc F1, will be the performance marketing for the future, Not 750 BHP road cars.

SAFETYFAST
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2004 at 21:17

-I dunno... they tested the mercedes McLaren on 'top gear' the other night and it was the fastest thing ever round their test track. I guess cars like these will be bought by some people who will use them on track days, in GT racing, etc, and if this is successful loads of other people (rich gits, poseurs etc) will buy them by the shedful even if they never use a tiny fraction of the performance.

And, for the performance, the new merc/McLaren is actually quite cheap... I would say that maybe BMW should have a GT car for the road, too; F1 is good marketing, but something you can drive on the road (even if it is basically pointless to actually do it) always sells well if it has the right image. 

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2004 at 23:23
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Apart from the "mines bigger than yours" brigade, at those power levels with a 70 mph speed limit in force in both our countries does it matter ?

70mph? In force??
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2004 at 11:26

I saw the Mclaren mercedes SLR on top gear and I would buy one for the noise alone. That has to be the nicest sounding engine I have ever heard.

I personnally think that companies like Mercedes, Audi and to a lesser extent BMW have gone a bit power mad. Why does anyone need a saloon car with over 500bhp? I can understand endowing a supercar with such power since they are designed to be the ultimate, although I think that the 1000bhp bugatti is going a bit far. But who on earth needs a Merc s class with 600bhp. It's just stupid. What makes it even worse is that in order to make the car drivable they need to fill it with extra electronics to keep all that power under control. These electronics add weight and so reduce performance. What is the point.

Instead of giving the new M5 a 500bhp V10, BMW should have concentrated on making the car lighter. That way it wouldn't need so much power and therefore would require less electronics to keep it on the road, saving even more weight. After all a car that weighs well over 1500kgs is never going to handle as well as a lighter car no matter what trick suspension you put on it.

I think the trouble is that most of these cars are driven by fat, overpaid executives who are more interested in bragging about what badge there car wheres than ever appreciating the driving experience.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2004 at 12:18
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I think the trouble is that most of these cars are driven by fat, overpaid executives who are more interested in bragging about what badge there car wheres than ever appreciating the driving experience.

Yes in some cases they do.
I did a trackday at Donnington and there a guy in Ferrari 335 Spider (Convertible) and he had bought some nice blue sparco shoes for the trackday and designer sunglasses. I overtook him on my 'cool' down lap - infact he was told by marshals to speed up as he was going to slow - I heard talking to some guys he knew in the pits saying I'm getting faster, I was trying to keep up with you guys - I could have gone faster in reverse!!! What a waste of money and car!!

Edited by dave 328

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2004 at 12:21

I think the trouble is that most of these cars are driven by fat, overpaid executives who are more interested in bragging about what badge there car wheres than ever appreciating the driving experience.

Especially 5-series drivers, eh? <ducks & runs>
Ciao,
Spokey

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2004 at 17:48

I agree with the whole 'lighter is better' ethos, but a car with more power, and a worse power to weight ratio, may go faster in a straight line. Unfortunately bhps and top speeds sell cars, not necessarily 'real' performance- look at the recent M3 CSL- one of the fastest standard production BMW's ever round the 'ring (wasn't it?) but not a big seller at all, so killed off fairly quickly...I don't remember them saying 'limited edition' when they brought it out, do you??

And so the bhp/top speed wars roll on....

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2004 at 00:17
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

I think the trouble is that most of these cars are driven by fat, overpaid executives who are more interested in bragging about what badge there car wheres than ever appreciating the driving experience.

AHEM, here spokey spokey, come to the nice fat 5 series driver !!!!!!!

Best Wishes

Nigel

Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2004 at 06:29

http://carspyshots.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=rumor&action=display&num=1085150886

If it is to be believed there are a couple more Mclarens on the way, Hopefully the brakes will work on these & they can fit the larger wheel-tyre combination without the tyres failing

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2004 at 08:07
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

AHEM, here spokey spokey, come to the nice fat 5 series driver !!!!!!!

And are you overpaid?

Just kidding, my first Beemer was an E34 520i (and I loved it!), followed by the real fat, overpaid, badge-loving executive car (E32 730i).

I currently drive an E38 (and I'm very overweight!), so I really am in no position to cast aspertions...

Edited by spokey
Ciao,
Spokey

ConeKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2004 at 00:02

Quote I did a trackday at Donnington and there a guy in Ferrari 335 Spider (Convertible) and he had bought some nice blue sparco shoes for the trackday and designer sunglasses. I overtook him on my 'cool' down lap - infact he was told by marshals to speed up as he was going to slow - I heard talking to some guys he knew in the pits saying I'm getting faster, I was trying to keep up with you guys - I could have gone faster in reverse!!! What a waste of money and car!!

Bless him. he's what's known in the trade as a "Kitmurvy"; someone who's got three different sets of carbon-keflar golf clubs, life membership and his own buggy, and can't hit a ball consistently within 45 degrees of its intended path...

* share and enjoy *
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic