Forum LockedHelp needed re 635csi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help needed re 635csi
    Posted: 28-May-2004 at 14:08
Can anyone help with this one?

A mate of mine runs a C reg 635csi auto on a daily basis. He doesn't know anything at all about cars and has paid a fortune for a new head and gearbox recently.

Now his ABS is playing up.

He tells me that usually the brakes are absolutley fine. However, occasionally the ABS light comes on and stays on and the brakes then pull to one side - or both 'grab' very violently. If you switch off the ignition and restart all is back to normal.

He also said that the light usually comes on when he's going round a corner or roundabout.

Any ideas??

I don't know anything about ABS and am hoping that am not going to have to tell him that he's in for megabucks again as he'll probably get rid of the car.
Sponsored Links

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2004 at 15:23
Originally posted by Jonners Jonners wrote:

Can anyone help with this one?

A mate of mine ...has paid a fortune for a new head and gearbox recently.

Ah, now he knows how it feels....

Originally posted by Jonners Jonners wrote:

Now his ABS is playing up.

He tells me that usually the brakes are absolutley fine. However, occasionally the ABS light comes on and stays on and the brakes then pull to one side - or both 'grab' very violently. If you switch off the ignition and restart all is back to normal.

He also said that the light usually comes on when he's going round a corner or roundabout.

Any ideas??

Has he checked the ABS sensors?

Edited by Horsetan

Goldryder View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2004 at 16:47

I think I can count myself extremely lucky where my 635 is concerned.  After over 2 yrs of storage I managed to go through an MOT with her with just 4 patches of welding required underneath, a tell-tale direction indicator and ABS indicator light on dash not working. 

The dashlights are jerry-rigged now so the ABS comes on only with the ignition light as the ABS system itself is in perfect working order, the light on the dashboard actually had no bulb holder or wiring to it.

The tester even commented that the brakes were exactly on book values when it came to the brake test, which was not only surprising when considering the car is 23 yrs old but one that has been stored too.

I can definately call myself very lucky with my car, I bought it for very little money, its one of just 4 on the Island, it has the second highest mileage but is in the best overall condition and is the oldest of the 4.

Being medically retired means I have plenty of free time on my hands so eventually she will look her best again.  Fortunately the previous owner threw huge chunks of money at the car, so all her main mechanical systems are in A1 condition.

October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2004 at 22:24

Jonners,

it sounds to me like a front wheel problem; either the ABS wiring might be at fault, a sensor or a wheel bearing is shot. Any could cause an erratic reading from one ABS sensor; the car will then pull to the other side on the brakes, which will  be 'pulsing' if the ABS activates.

If the ABS fuse is pulled, the system should deactivate. Under normal circumstances the car should be safe to drive like this, but have him test it off the public highway to be safe. If the fault goes away then it is almost certainly an ABS sensor problem as described above.

I hope this helps;

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic