Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHIGH MILEAGE TYRES 325TDS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: HIGH MILEAGE TYRES 325TDS
    Posted: 08-June-2004 at 14:19

Hi to all Members - I have a 325tds and I wonder if anyone can advise me on a tyre purchase. I am doing about 1000 miles a month minimum, mainly on motorway and A roads at higher speeds.

I have had the car some years and always used Goodyear NCT3's - HOWEVER - the last set I had have lasted under 8500 miles on the back and are down to the wear limits already. The front ones fitted the same time look like new.

Goodyear say this is possible as they feel this model puts lots of power down on the road at the back!!

Has anyone had experiences with something that will last longer ?

Thanks - Mark

Sponsored Links

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2004 at 15:10
I did better than that with notoriously quick wearing Yokohamas... how's your suspension geometry & tyre pressure?
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2004 at 15:21
I've got bridgestones on mine and the rears are already showing signs of wear and thats after about 2K. I don't think i'll get much more than 10K out of them at the most.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2004 at 19:52

-Some Michelins last for ages but the wet grip is poor.

-I would definitely NOT fit some crummy skidmasters or other low grip tyres on the back and leave the NCTs on the front. This will destroy the balance of the car's handling altogether, and will catch you out when you need it least.

-If you really can't live with this wear rate (and the cost is a small drop in an ocean of fuel and other costs, surely?) IMHO the best thing would be to swap the fronts for the backs and wear the lot out, then get another set of four all the same. 

-I agree your wear rate is high, and I'd suspect another fault, unless you are in the habit of 'clogging it' in low gears- the low-down torque of the diesel puts the tyres under extra stress.

Oddly enough some cars are just very hard on their tyres, and I have to say that if you have a 'sports' suspension package this could be causing it- laying down the power on bumpy roads with stiff springs and high damper rates works the tyres very hard indeed. Likewise knackered rear dampers can do the same thing.

-I hope this helps

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2004 at 11:45
Originally posted by Brucey Brucey wrote:

IMHO the best thing would be to swap the fronts for the backs and wear the lot out, then get another set of four all the same. 

Unless you have a sport the the front and rear sizes are different.

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2004 at 16:11
8500 miles would suggest that something other than the tyres are not optimum. The front tyres should wear quicker as they support the weight of the engine and take most of the braking loads too.

What rear air pressure do you use? Where did the rear wear occur? How would you describe your style of driving?
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 00:23
8.5k thats awfull. I get more than that from my six and 635's are much heavier than e36's on tyres. Sounds like the suspension, void bushes, link bars etc need to be checked out. Also hows your right foot. If you smoke the tyres each time you start you will go through tyres quickly. You should be getting nearer 20k out of a set of quality non sport tyres. Our e39 which has a similar suspension set up to an e36 got 26k out of a set without swaping fronts to backs andd that was a mix of town motorway and hard driving.  The tyres we had were some Fulda sports tyres which were incidentally rubish and have now been replaced with Pireli P7000's.
Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 09:58

Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

8.5k thats awfull. I get more than that from my six and 635's are much heavier than e36's on tyres. Sounds like the suspension, void bushes, link bars etc need to be checked out. Also hows your right foot. If you smoke the tyres each time you start you will go through tyres quickly. You should be getting nearer 20k out of a set of quality non sport tyres. Our e39 which has a similar suspension set up to an e36 got 26k out of a set without swaping fronts to backs andd that was a mix of town motorway and hard driving.  The tyres we had were some Fulda sports tyres which were incidentally rubish and have now been replaced with Pireli P7000's.

I have never got more than about 14K out of a set of tyres on any car I have ever owned (on the driven wheels at any rate), although that may be because I do drive my cars quite hard, although I don't do wheel spins all the time. The most I have ever heard of is 20K and that was on a 1.8 mondeo with the traction control on all the time and a very sensible driver. I don't think you can judge whether the rate of wear is excessive until you have seen the driving style. 

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 20:27

-I've had several hondas with proper double-wishbones all round and compliant (but not underdamped) relatively long-travel suspension, on good quality dampers with sophisticated valving. Each of these has laid down about 130-160bhp (all of which would be used on a regular basis) through 195-215 section 65 profile tyres on the front wheels.

-despite 'enthusiastic' driving I've got about 30K miles out of fronts, which with tyre rotation equates to about 45K miles for a full set. OK, these were not especially grippy tyres, or very soft compound, but the least mileage I got was 40K miles for a set of NCT2's. I threw a set of Michelin MXVs away when they were only 2/3rds worn because they had gone hard and had lost what little grip they ever had. This set would have done over 60K miles had I bothered to carry on with them. 

-I have never got anything like that mileage out of fronts on any vehicle (front or rear wheel drive)  that was fitted with MacPherson struts; so I strongly believe that there is something fundamental (like stiction, geometry, forced selection of damper rates through effect of brake/suspension forces on loading) that causes the suspension to work the tyres much harder, especially on the brakes. I have no idea why BMW continue to use the MacPherson strut when something genuinely better is readily available.

-on RWD cars (which I believe are a fundamentally better idea in terms of handling dynamics) I have likewise got through tyres on the driven wheels in about half the time  as I have done on a typical Honda FWD car. My only explanation for this (esp on a BMW which has essentially well designed rear suspension, leaving aside the vexed question of camber angles for the moment) is that the spring and damper rates on the driven wheels are more compromised (in relation to the road loads) than on a typical FWD car.

- I think this is because the rear springs and dampers typically have to be designed to cope with the extreme case of an extra ~400Kg (about eight hundredweight!) of people and luggage, poised right over the rear wheels. And the suspension still has to work, without sagging too much and/or bottoming out too easily. The net result of this is that for 'normal' driving (i.e. without this load) the back end is liable to be both oversprung and overdamped by ~30-50%. Note that similar loads in the vehicle will not cause such a large increase in the proportion of weight over the front wheels, (especially on a FWD car which likely will be front-heavy anyway).  The result of the overdamped and oversprung RWD rear end is that the tyres are worked very hard especially during acceleration on bumpy roads and thus tend to wear out rather quickly.

- Add into this cocktail even stiffer, shorter springs with even higher damper rates (as many BMW owners fit aftermarket, and I suspect feel slightly disappointed with if the car is actually still comfortable to drive after they have done so, thus damper rates are often overcooked) and the result can be extremely short tyre life indeed.

- note that, by contrast, some race cars and race motorbikes actually have quite 'soft' suspension (unless attitude changes are not tolerated for aerodynamic reasons in which case the springs are kept artificially stiff), using high quality dampers. The result is that for example, on the road, the same race-bike suspension can increase rear tyre life by over 50% over the conventional road suspension set-up which  is compromised in exactly the same way as it is on a typical RWD road car.  

- I would be SO much happier if motor manufacturers put effort into giving us truly better suspension, that adapted better to changing loads etc. A second set of springs that could be locked out when not required, plus adjustable dampers would do the job nicely; however, air suspension promises much but ultimately disappoints.

- As it is, they don't see a need to genuinely improve the suspension action in this way, and they do other things instead. The result is that we end up with cars that weigh too much and are filled with all sorts of daft gadgets that many owners never get any real use out of.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2004 at 10:16

- As it is, they don't see a need to genuinely improve the suspension action in this way, and they do other things instead. The result is that we end up with cars that weigh too much and are filled with all sorts of daft gadgets that many owners never get any real use out of.

I couldn't agree more  Big Smile

angrysoapbox.gif

people may have started to notice that the whole issue of filling cars with heavy and largely unecessary gadgets and electronics is something I have strong views on. 

Edited by Peter Fenwick
skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2004 at 10:51
i have bridgestone potenzas 040 on mine and i just need a new pair at 15,000 mile from new grip is ace in the wet and dry and this milage is with very high spirited driving wheel spins etc .
i am gonna use these again .
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
marklgraham View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2004 at 10:23

Originally posted by skull skull wrote:

i have bridgestone potenzas 040 on mine and i just need a new pair at 15,000 mile from new grip is ace in the wet and dry and this milage is with very high spirited driving wheel spins etc .
i am gonna use these again .

That sounds good - might give them a try then !!

thanks - Mark

marklgraham View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2004 at 10:25

-- As it is, they don't see a need to genuinely improve the suspension action in this way, and they do other things instead. The result is that we end up with cars that weigh too much and are filled with all sorts of daft gadgets that many owners never get any real use out of.

cheers

Thanks for that detailed analasis ! Mark

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2004 at 11:42

- I think this is because the rear springs and dampers typically have to be designed to cope with the extreme case of an extra ~400Kg (about eight hundredweight!) of people and luggage, poised right over the rear wheels. And the suspension still has to work, without sagging too much and/or bottoming out too easily. The net result of this is that for 'normal' driving (i.e. without this load) the back end is liable to be both oversprung and overdamped by ~30-50%. Note that similar loads in the vehicle will not cause such a large increase in the proportion of weight over the front wheels, (especially on a FWD car which likely will be front-heavy anyway).

I'm not sure if I agree with your thoughts here. On a BMW, roughly 50% of the unloaded weight is on the back axle. A FWD car may have 35%. Adding the weight of rear passengers/luggage will compromise the FWD car more as is has the greater proportional increase in rear axle load. Many cars have additional rear stiffness to combat understeer anyway.

The result of the overdamped and oversprung RWD rear end is that the tyres are worked very hard especially during acceleration on bumpy roads and thus tend to wear out rather quickly.

Damping and spring rates go together. If a car is potentially oversprung and has matched dampers, then it can't be considered overdamped (as the damper will control the energy rates in that particular spring).

An overly stiff rear will reduce load transfer to the rear which can, as you say, cause traction (and road holding) problems on bumpy roads.

However, stock BMW suspensions are not overly stiff.

- Add into this cocktail even stiffer, shorter springs with even higher damper rates (as many BMW owners fit aftermarket, and I suspect feel slightly disappointed with if the car is actually still comfortable to drive after they have done so, thus damper rates are often overcooked) and the result can be extremely short tyre life indeed.

But when you lower the car, the camber gets more negative, which, on the street, wears the inside of the tyres. Furthermore, in my experience, most people do not run correct tyre pressures (especially those with bigger wheels). I also feel the damper rates are rarely overcooked. In fact, too many people change the springs and leave stock dampers in place, which are subsequently incorrect in stroke and damping factor.

- note that, by contrast, some race cars and race motorbikes actually have quite 'soft' suspension (unless attitude changes are not tolerated for aerodynamic reasons in which case the springs are kept artificially stiff), using high quality dampers. 

I think "soft" is relative. A soft setting on a race car is a good deal stiffer than a road car. The stiffness is also a good deal dictated by anti-roll bars too. It then takes a great deal of skill to match the dampers accordingly.
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2004 at 21:59

-thanks for your comments;

- I agree the proportional increase in rear axle load on a FWD car is far greater. But in practice this doesn't really matter, as the rear wheels don't have to do much in the way of dealing with big loads. There are obviously no driving loads, braking loads are mostly on the front, and the cornering loads are limited by the sanity of the driver and the complaints and threats of physical violence from any passengers.....In practice damping rates are typically set on FWD cars so that the rear end is a bit underdamped when the car is fully loaded; this probably gives the best overall compromise, and is unlikely to cause rapid tyre wear. Note you don't really have this choice on a RWD car.

- if the springs and dampers are correct on a RWD when the car is loaded, then I agree in terms of controlling the wheel over road irregularities (high speed damping) the damping rate will strictly still be matched to the spring (relatively stiff though it might be) even without the load on the car. However, the low speed damping (controlling gross body movements) won't be. Therefore yes, the back end will be overdamped, as well as oversprung.

-I agree stock BMW suspensions are not overly stiff (for the laden condition), but they are still subject to the inherent compromises described, so at the rear in particular are typically oversprung etc for the unladen condition.

-I likewise agree re. many lowering kits, and if there is to be no bottoming, the 'short spring' type must be either a steep rising rate, or just stiffer all round. Either way I agree there is a mismatch somewhere to the dampers. However I have also seen plenty of cars with 'uprated' dampers and OK, this might (or might not) make for lower lap times on a smooth racetrack. However, this can give such horrendous suspension for normal road conditions they would be better off going back to stock parts than trying to make the best of this bad job.

-I agree the camber thing is (for the road) a bit of problem, exacerbated  by lowering.

-I agree saloon cars (and any racing car with a relatively high c of g) are a bit odd as the importance of the anti-roll bars is greatly magnified, and even with little bodyroll, there is still a lot of weight transfer to the outside wheels during cornering. These factors can force the use of low profile tyres, and spring and damper rates that work the tyres a bit (or a lot) harder than one would ideally like during acceleration and braking. However by comparison, both some other race car types and motorcycles can have surprisingly soft suspension.  

-finally I couldn't agree more re. tyre pressures; they are frequently all over the place.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic