Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBuying an M3 from a trader,help needed!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying an M3 from a trader,help needed!
    Posted: 09-June-2004 at 21:16
Im looking at buying an E36 M3 3.0 from a trader,ive done a hpi check and its all clear but the trader hasnt got the blue part of the V5 logbook. He says its because its had a plate transfer and if i buy the car he will supply me with a V62 logbook application form. Does this sound ok ?
Sponsored Links

encomium View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2004 at 21:32
it shouldn't be a problem. but what i'd do is get him to get the v5 and then make the transaction. better safe than sorry
94 E36 M3 Coupe
535i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2004 at 21:35

Im supposed to be picking the car up tomorrow nite and he said he will supply me with the V62,he's got the green part of the V5 but not the blue part. Surely if there was anything to worry about it would show up on the hpi report wouldnt it ?

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2004 at 22:20
Yes it should-I had this with mine when I bought it. After a bit of hassle the dealer agreed to register the car before I picked it up as I didn't want any nasty repercussions.

I did offer to pay a larger deposit until the registration came through.
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
M3 Evo View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
///MPower

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2004 at 22:36
Does the HPI report show number of owners. As he might be doing this to get a buyer as its had for example 12 owners. I cant remember if HPI shows this. But if it does not it is something to take in to consideration.

Tristan
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2004 at 22:39

Yes hpi shows the number of previous owners as 1. Also rac website has a free vehicle data search which also shows the number of previous owners. https://www.rac.co.uk/myrac/login?source=&loggedOn=false&dispatchTo=myrac 

You have to register before you can use it.

Brian M5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2004 at 23:01

In a normal transaction-

The Green bit should be the only part a new owner gets. The old owner  or dealer should be filling in the new owner details on the blue bit and sending that to the DVLA. The DVLA then send a new registration document to the new owner. In the meantime the green bit is what you legally require to show for licensing, police checks etc.

If the document is away because of a personal plate change then the new registration will show the original owner but a new registration number and you will need to get the owner details changed. The DVLA will also be returning the document to the previous owner or the dealer. The MOT and the licence will also be suffering the same fate to change its plate details.

Much simpler to visit a local VRO and have it done while you wait, but too late for that. Who sent the documents away?

You would need a V62 if the registration document was lost and you needed to apply for a fresh one. Not the case here, if you get the returned documents.

On the green bit you will see the registration number and an i.d. digit.

Look on the road licence (if it has one) and note that this digit is also shown here next to the reg. number. Of course in your case the green bit will not now match the new plate details to be issued by DVLA. What plate is on the car?

Personal plates can be a hassle.

Well that's confused me now so I'll be off and you can mull it over.

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2004 at 23:04
The hpi report shows 2 plate transfers in the past but the car has been on the current reg number for 3 years,so this should be ok shouldnt it ?
Brian M5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2004 at 23:29

It is fairly normal for cars like these to have plate transfers showing dure to the number of personal plates around.

The number on the car I assume is a personal one if it has been there for three years and the documents are away getting a transfer? The new number will be issued by the DVLA and you will need to re-plate the car.

The HPI check may be showing 1 plate change putting a personal plate on and another taking it off, if DVLA have already processed this. 

My vehicle is like this. The previous 1 owner had his own personal plate.

So it went Original plate changed to Personal changed to DVLA issued changed to mine 3 plate changes and two in very short timescale and of course I'd be removing mine before selling, so it all happens again.

BTW I have had 2 HPI checks which turned out to be incorrect, caused by plate changes with information remaining from a previous vehicle. A 1995 M5 LE showed up as a 1990 previous write off in silver. Turned out a 1990 Mercedes carrying the plate had been written off.

HPI carries a warranty though I believe.

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 00:04
The car is on a normal N reg plate but was previously on a personal plate and then the original plate before that. The guy from the garage gave me the document reference number thats on the green part of the V5,would i be able to check this with the dvla.
Brian M5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 00:33

If the car has been on the current number for three years then why is the V5 blue part away. Not for a plate change surely.

During these 3 years in order to get a tax disk the V12 renewal document, MOT and Insurance all have to be presented to the tax disk issuer (Post Office normally) and carry the same registration?

If the green part has the same number as is displayed on the car, then the car checks out but is the ownership being changed by the V5 blue part being with DVLA.

Post Offices used to able to deal with vehicles using a V62 but to tighten up on fraud only DVLA or VRO's (Vehicle Registration Offices) will deal with them now.

It is worth a phone call to check if they will assist. Hey, What is the worst that can happen.

Liked your link to the RAC

rallycross View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 10:38

Its common for this don't worry too much about it.

No need to wait two weeks for DVLA to sort out the paperwork.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 11:33
I was in exactly the same position when I bought my car. I didn't worry about it and as expected the new V5 turned up on my doorstep a few weeks after buying the car. Big Smile
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic