Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked320i 6cyl compression probs.worth fixin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 320i 6cyl compression probs.worth fixin?
    Posted: 17-February-2003 at 14:19
My Dad just phoned me up & told me his 1987 Red 320i has lost compression in one of the six cyls. Its a lovely car & seems a shame to scrap it...is it gonna be worth fixing this..or will it just cost too much money? Opinions please
Sponsored Links

Jonathan Cox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2003 at 17:22

I suppose it depends on what has caused the loss of compression...is it the gasket, cracked cylinder head, poor seating of the valves, piston rings, you just don't know until you get that head off.  If you're willing to do the work yourself then it shouldn't cost too much, however getting a garage to do it might cost a lot more than you think! 

I've been stripping the engine of my E28 528i, and have had lots of problems. Nothing is straight forward!!!

If you can afford it, get it fixed...!

Jonathan, Manchester.
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2003 at 10:07
If you pay someone it might cost more than the value of the car....
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2003 at 12:08

I was at alan cowlands bmw spares last week, as well as a scrapyard, they also do engine rebuilds etc, they were doing a 5351, E34 model, and he said the bill was about £600, but exactly what for I'm not sure.He was very helpful, might be worth having a chat with him,

Scott on 01536 72387

I've only bought bits I'm afraid, so I cant actually say what the quality of his work is.

I was also talking to a chap called Graham Bryant on the phone last night, he is a club member who is organising an event in may I wanted to go to.He was telling me about a couple of ex bm chaps in bristol that are superb.

I dont have his permission to put his phone number on here, although you can get it if you look at the events calender on this forum.the event is on the 18th of may, in cheddar.

There is also "my" chap.....Gavin on 01905 27753, and that is in Worcester

Good Luck

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2003 at 12:19

To get an idea of prices, fab has a link from the clubsite, they are a scrapyard based in gloucestershire, they have a price list you can look at for recon heads, engines etc, and they say they also offer a fitting service.I've never used them personally, but maybe someone on here has.

For the sort of prices that I've heard quoted, for example my chap says it would cost about £1000 for a complete engine rebuild on my E34 525i, if the car is as nice as you indicate, you would struggle to get your dad anything worth driving for that sort of money

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic