Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 630
    Posted: 23-June-2004 at 20:12

BMW 630i
« Thread started on: Today at 1:12pm »

BMW Launches New 3.0-Litre Models:
BMW 630i Coupé/ 630i Convertible.

New six-cylinder gasoline engine making its first appearance in the BMW 6 Series.

Another great BMW tradition is now also being repeated: Following the first BMW 6 Series launched in the late '70s with its six-cylinder power unit, the new BMW 630i Coupé and Convertible are now also making their debut with six cylinders.

With the six-cylinder BMW 6 Series always having been a very popular model, BMW is now re-introducing this car in its model range: The new engine displacing three litres is making its debut in both versions of the BMW 6 Series and will be introduced at a later point in time in other BMW six-cylinder models.

Displacing 2996 cc, the new six-cylinder develops maximum output of 190 kW (258 bhp) at 6600 rpm, with maximum torque of 300 Newton-metres (221 lb-ft) at just 2500 rpm. With its compression ratio of 10.7:1, the engine is able to run on unleaded 91-98 RON fuel. Fuel consumption of the BMW 630i Coupé with its six-speed manual gearbox averages just 9.0 litres on 100 kilometres (31.4 mpg Imp) (six-speed automatic transmission: 9.5 litres/29.7 mpg Imp). Fuel consumption of the BMW 630i Convertible, in turn, is 9.6 and, respectively, 9.9 litres/100 km (29.4/28.5 mpg Imp).
Compared with the two versions of the BMW 645Ci, the transmission ratios of the manual gearbox and automatic transmission are now a bit "shorter", the customer opting for the BMW 630i naturally still having the choice of a manual gearbox, BMW's Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG), or automatic transmission. With the driver shifting gears manually, the new BMW 630i Coupé accelerates to 100 km/h in just 6.5 seconds (automatic transmission: 6.7 seconds). The BMW 630 Convertible completes the same exercise in 6.9 and, respectively, 7.2 seconds. Top speed on all versions is 250 km/h or 155 mph.

Low weight for supreme performance.

Depending on the transmission and body variant, the weight of BMW's new 630i models is down on average by 120 kilos or 265 lb in comparison with the 8-cylinder models. And the visible signs of distinction setting the BMW 630i Coupé and Convertible aside from the top models within the 6 Series are clearly recognisable both inside and outside: The BMW 630i comes as standard on 7 1/2-inch wide and 17-inch high light-alloy wheels in brand-new styling and with 245/50 R 17 tyres. The front brake discs, in turn, are somewhat smaller in diameter than on the BMW 645Ci.

Further differences from outside are the chrome-plated exhaust tailpipes on the new BMW 630i Coupé and Convertible now round instead of oval in shape, as well as black instead of chrome-plated rods in the radiator grille in typical BMW "kidney" design. Inside, the new six-cylinder models come in an attractive combination of leather and fabric, with all-leather upholstery available as an option at extra cost.
Both of these new models will be available in the German market as of September 2004. Their prices will be announced in July.

source
autotelegraaf
and BMW press
Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Sponsored Links

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 22:02

-nice, but despite the 'lightweight materials' it is still ~130kgs heavier than the old '6'.......

is this six pot a straight '6' or a 'v'??

- also, what I'd really like to know is when are we going to see a 600+bhp 'uber-GT' '6' series?

drooling in anticipation.....

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 22:03

-d'oh! obviously a straight six now I look at the pictures more carefully....

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2004 at 12:47
A twin-turbo diesel variation would be intriguing, i.e. 635CSd....

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2004 at 13:04
Originally posted by Brucey Brucey wrote:

is this six pot a straight '6' or a 'v'?

Go wash your mouth out with soap, young man! A V6 indeed... harrumph!
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2004 at 13:06
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

A twin-turbo diesel variation would be intriguing, i.e. 635CSd....

I recently drove the 730d, and it was a cracking good drive, the torque was awesome. I reckon a 630d would probably be better than the 630i. Pity about the stink, though.
Ciao,
Spokey

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2004 at 18:01

-I very briefly wondered if they were going to do as some other manufacturers have done- chopped two pots off a V8 to get a '6'. I am equally horrified at the prospect- I consider the straight six to be a BMW hallmark, and still view the V8s with a little suspicion, in a way....

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic